New Things Happening At Jesse Luggage

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Jesse Luggage, Feb 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawbs

hawbs Rockin' the Beer Gut

Oddometer:
    Some details from a previous post I made in this thread:

The QRDP mounts to my GS as shown below. Obviously, YMMV with a different make/model.

[​IMG]

The mounting surface (top) is shown below. The mounting holes are the two key-shaped cutouts at the front of the plate on either side, and the single slot at the rear of the plate where my license tag is creating a lovely bright spot.

[​IMG]

The bottom of the box with the male half of the QRDP system is shown below. You can see the two bobbins that slide into the key holes and the locking mechanism that slides into the rear slot.

[​IMG]
  2. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    On the GS I really like the silver better. Just fits in the whole scheme as long as you can make it in a way that it is similar to the frame.

But if you can make it an option it would also work if BMW puts a black frame on the GS Adventure. Or brings out a triple black ...

One more note: Personally I'd really like the option of a "cross brace" on the lower part of the racks. Welded on tabs and a crossbrace that can optionally be installed would help those who load a bit heavier and the bags wouldn't hang down like sixty year old ... never mind ... :lol3

Just food for thought.
  3. oz97tj

oz97tj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. This is what ive been looking for and Jesse hasnt been able to provide. Im asking about the lock specifically.
  4. Jesse Luggage

Jesse Luggage Crash Tested & Approved... Supporter

Oddometer:

That is food for thought. This is the first time I've heard of Ody II bags sagging. Ody 1 bags did that a bit, but the Ody II double loop system pretty much eliminated that. Please send some pix, if you can get any. Again, you're the first person to bring it up.
  5. hawbs

hawbs Rockin' the Beer Gut

Oddometer:
    The locking mechanism clamps to the mounting plate, with the oval shaped aluminum piece acting like a big wing nut on a threaded shaft. Rightsy tightsy, left loosey.

When the system is "unlocked" you're able loosen/tighten the mount. When the system is "locked" the big aluminum wing nut is disengaged from the threaded shaft and spins freely.

It's not easy to explain, I'm afraid, but it works quite well. The clamping effect not only locks the case to the bike for security, but also eliminates any rattles that would occur if the system was less "constrained".

Edit:
    From the Jesse web page:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7RMeHcyIADs#!

In the video, you see how it clamps on. Just pretend the "handle" shown looks like the one in the picture I posted and has the ability to engage/disengage from the threads. :)
  6. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Taken from this ride report:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=868814

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have seen others over time but these were the ones I recalled right away.

Of course it gets worse after even small tip overs. Mine are fairly straight, but that's probably I never had the bike tip over with them and also I'm absolutely religious about mounting things straight and fix it up even during trips.

I guess it also depends a lot on where the mount points for the frames on the individual bikes are. The left bag on the Tiger has only the two upper mounts plus that tiny little lollipop to the main frame tube which easily rotates on heavy bumps or tip overs. Left side is slightly better, but a tip over there will put a lot of pressure onto the lollipop on the right side without any other help from another mount point. All the pressure from weight goes to those little clamps on the Tiger. The mounting on my wife's F650GS is likely more stable.

At the moment I'm really thinking about going to a welder and have him put tabs on and build a cross brace to distribute some of the pressure to the that brace. But it's not something that I should need to do.

This was one of the reasons I was very much on the edge with the Jesse system. It's just plain not as as solid as I would like it on the Tiger. But this is likely different from bike to bike.
  7. Jesse Luggage

Oddometer:
    Thanks Cug, I'll bring this to the attention of the boss. And thanks for the linky to the big bend RR. Love it down there.
  8. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
  9. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    And while we are at it:

[​IMG]

I really like the charcoal on my wife's F. Should have gotten the same color for my Tiger instead of flat black.
  10. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    I stand corrected (slightly) - there is another tab from the lower hoop to the frame, although I doubt this will put up much of a fight in a tip over or over a longer time riding on bad / bumpy roads. We'll see how mine hold up ...
  11. Cycling101

Cycling101 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cug - is that the 10" Ody II's on your Tiger?

I just looked it up and it shows total volume as 105 liters, which seems quite a bit more compared to the 'other' company that offers a 38/45l solution. True?
  12. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Yes, they are the Odyssey 2, 10" cases. I have no way of accurately measuring volume. I used to have BMW Adventure cases and later Micatech 37L V-Pilots, so these are my comparison points.

The Odysseys are definitely larger, no question about that. How much larger I have a really hard time figuring out. I'd say it depends on how you like to pack.

If you like packing into luggage liners that are as big as possible to make packing easy, the cases aren't that good for this. I can possibly get a liner made for the left side case and it'll be close enough, not perfect, but close, I'll likely loose a few liters here and there because of the shape. For the right side with the exhaust it'll be even harder. I haven't decided on liner shape yet but will get something going after the coming weekend.

On the other hand, if you pack a few stuff sacks and don't make them too hard, you can probably fill the cases quite well.

Overall I'd say, they are bigger than the Adventure cases, but not by 30L (nearly a third case). At least not usable volume. But they are quite handy. For my type of packing, more square cases would have been better. We'll see how we do on our tours this year (some long weekends planned a two week trip to the National Parks in Utah in the late spring).
  13. Cycling101

Cycling101 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the thorough response. Sounds like you just got them. I'll likely be going this route on the new 1200 LC, if it arrives sometime this year...

Enjoy your trips this summer. You've gotta be looking forward to that. Wish my wife rode....
  14. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    I got them late last summer and we had some weekend trips with them, but that was mainly just stuffing some random stuff sacks in and be done with it. Then I was out of commission for about half a year.

Yeah, it's really a blessing - we have so much fun riding together. Recently we've been switching bikes back and forth and she's getting more and more relaxed on the longer rides. She just started about four years ago and has maybe 8k miles now. We'll probably add another 8k to that this year ... :deal

And I tell you, the best money we've spend was on a set of Sena SMH10. Riding on the weekends gives us more time "together" than any other activity. Hiking was close, but riding is better because it's easier to talk while riding ... :lol3
  15. Cycling101

Cycling101 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And I tell you, the best money we've spend was on a set of Sena SMH10. Riding on the weekends gives us more time "together" than any other activity. Hiking was close, but riding is better because it's easier to talk while riding ... :lol3[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. I have the Schuberth comm system and my buddies have the Scala Rider G4's (they make the Schuberth system) and we can all chat while riding. We can be riding along on a dirt road and all of a sudden do a synchronized turn onto a skidder road, and it is otherwise total chaos.:D
  16. oz97tj

oz97tj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A few more questions...

What's the price on the set for the new GS W? Your website says available April 15. Is that the ship date? I'm tempted to order a set but am curious about the time frame till I'll have them in my garage.

Also, any plans for a set with your Quick Click mounts? I really loved my Safaris with Quick Clicks on my last GS.
  17. Cycling101

Cycling101 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Silver does look the best on Red. Do you plan to offer silver?
  18. Jesse Luggage

Oddometer:

Cost for Ody II bags and mounts for the new GS Waterhead thru the end of April is $1280 US, plus shipping. Safari's will be available after June 15th, their cost will be $1490 US,plus shipping. We are starting to ship today to folks that have already ordered. If you order today, they probalby won't ship untill next week. (if you need them for a trip, let us know, we can usually accomodate).
    And no plans for Quick Clicks in the immediate future.
  19. Jesse Luggage

Oddometer:
    Silver and black mounts are both available. So your choice....:D
  20. Cycling101

Cycling101 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you! Good call. You'll be hearing from me soon.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.