Custom GPS Cradles for select Garmins and SPOTs

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Stovebolt, Feb 12, 2010.

1. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    the Ozark, Boston, Kiamichi and Ouachita Mnts
    Check is in the mail.
  2. Stovebolt

Stovebolt Team Ruptured Buzzard

Oddometer:
    Joe,

PM sent - and THANK YOU Sir!

Stovey

3. Jwats

Jwats Bike till u Die

Oddometer:
    We did a Baja test run on the bikes today. The new concealex mount is fabulous. I did not upset the apple crate but also had no worries the new mount is SOLID. Thaks Jenks, Joe
  4. Stovebolt

Oddometer:
    Jwats -

Thanks Joe, words I appreciate for sure. Not only for the report of good news on the current production units, but for the fact that you are okay with it - I know how hard you can be on equipment.

(For those who haven't had the opportunity to ride with Jwats - he took a whipper in Baja last year and rung his bell so hard he had to toss a new Arai XD into the trash....)

I appreciate all your support and encouragement, Joe. I wish I was with you in Baja this year. Glad the shakedown ride today went good!

Seizure,

Stovey

5. Stovebolt

Oddometer:
    My last run of Concealex cradles has all but entirely shipped - only 1 left unsold. A new run starts next week. Still have a few Kydex left on hand and will make more of those as well. My posse left for Baja yesterday with all new Cradles on board, they will reach San Felipe tonight and start riding for a week tomorrow. I'm sure they'll chime in here after they get back. if they get back..... :rofl

I am away from the computer from now until Tuesday, blowing holes through the powder on my sled near Mt. Jefferson in the Continental Divide in Idaho with a snow ranger buddy of mine - new improved cradle on board. Thanks to everybody who has purchased so far, let me know how they work for you.

Looking forward to the Montana 1000 already!

Sincere,

Stovey
  6. Stovebolt

Oddometer:
    Well, my little concern has a following - small but growing, and everybody who has purchased is greatly appreciated. I haven't heard back from everybody yet, but from those who have contacted me - reports are favorable. I especially appreciate the feedback and suggestions received from PIGPEN and KNOBBIETHROWER on how to make improvements.

My posse called me from Mesquite this evening on their way home from 10 days riding in Baja, and I got a short but powerful earful from inmate Berg Briggs on some of the highlights of their ride. I don't want to steal their thunder, but they got mobbed up in the middle of the 250 racecourse and had ringside seats for some great death-defying action, rode up on a guy who had gotten welded to a cactus after an endo, and his mates had to pry the guy loose from the stem he snapped off because he was velcroed to it and it was acting like a splint, and they couldn't get him off the ground; watched Robbie Gordon tear through the finish line in San Felipe in his trophy truck sideways through the arches "like something out of the 'Book of Revelations" and also managed to keep Jay's bike from becoming a $10,000 signal fire in Gonzaga Bay by the skin of their teeth. Pretty much got their money's worth of adventure in Baja, as usual. I hope my cradles held up...... I was so caught up in the stories on the phone that I actually forgot to ask. Can you believe it?

I left off other misadventures and excitement and glory - not mine to tell. I hope they post up after getting back. I hope my cradles worked as intended. We'll find out here, and I'll have to stand for it, one way or the other. (Shoulda asked before I posted..... but my nuts are as into this as they are on the line, so might as well roll solid.....)

I have orders for more cradles coming in that I am aware of, and need to keep making more. Shoot me a PM if you want one and I'll make you one.

Thanks

Stovey
  7. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Stovey,

I'll take one of them pretty units with that oh so high dollar carbon fiber look. Can you drill out the USB port (keep the external antennae covered)area for mine? That way I only have to remove the unit for batteries which is not too often since it's hardwired.

One thing I'm back to Thailand the first week in April, if I send out a check to you tomorrow what are the odds the unit gets to me in Los Angeles before my flight leaves on April 8th? If you can do it I'll mail the check tomorrow.

Now where the hell is the checkbook:huh , I haven't written a check in two years and Stovey is gonna have me on a wild goose chase now I reckon looking for it.

Let me know if your schedule can get it to me before April 8th. Thanks in advance.
  8. Stovebolt

Oddometer:
    Fingerin The Bean, (WTF?!) :rofl

PM sent!

Coolio - I'll take care of you.....

Stovey

9. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This guy has lost his marbles.

Stovey sends me a PM, knows nothing of me except I've got a deviant user name.

I ask him if his work load and shipping schedule will allow the unit to be sent to me in time as I'm flying out of the country soon. He replies, no problem I'll send a unit off to you tomorrow (keep in mind he has no payment from me yet). No idea whether I'll stiff him or not as our whole interaction has been one post in his thread, giving him not much to judge my character by. That my friends is serious Karma and a whole lot of faith. Hats off to you Stovey for your outlook on things. Wish the whole world was a bit more like you.

Love doing business with decent folk. You're top of my list Stovey, thanks mate:thumb .

Stovebolt wrote:

You'd of loved to have seen the car hood when I was racing stockcars years ago with our Team FTB logo, told to remove it by the santioning body at the time:lol3 .

Cheers,

Justin
  10. Jwats

Jwats Bike till u Die

Oddometer:
    Just returned from BAJA a shit load of miles in a short time frame. A couple of stumbles but hey look the friggin GPS is still there. Good job Jenks, a stellar product, very convenient & tuff, Thanks Jwats
  11. Stovebolt

Oddometer:
    Justin,

The only thing better than doing another man a solid in life, is a good dog. I believe in both. Well, that and a great adventure on the bikes, in life, a good woman and a cold Tecate Rojo in San Francisquito. I guess I believe in a lot of good stuff! No reason not to hit you with a cradle. If I'm ever in Bangkok, I bet you'd be be good to ride the river with.

Thanks for the kind words. Rally on...

Stovey

12. Stovebolt

Oddometer:
    Jwats,

...you're alive! Most excellent, can't wait to hear all the tales from South of the Border... Very glad to hear the cradles were good. Are you the only one who didn't crash? Go back and test it correctly. :evil

Missed ya. Does this mean I can't have all your stuff?

Thanks for the good words Joe!

Sincere,

Stovey

13. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    the Ozark, Boston, Kiamichi and Ouachita Mnts
    Stovey,

I got to use my cradle last weekend and have a couple of inputs. First of all it takes the same amount of time to locate satellites w/o the cradle as it does with. :thumb

My winter gloves are too big to get to the power button so I'll need to whip out the dremel.

And last I think i'm going to drill a small hole through the bottom lip with the cradle assembled to thread my lanyard through. It will serve as a lanyard and keep the 2 pieces together.

But before I mod it at all I'll offer to trade it to anyone with the Kydex version because the CF looks to good on my dirtbike.:D
  14. Stovebolt

Oddometer:
    Joe,

Glad you've had a chance to fiddle with it and thanks for the good feedback. I hear ya about the winter gloves - the same will be the case for anybody with fat fingers, but you can't put material back - you can only keep taking it away. So I err on the side of prudence and give enough to get a finger in there without relieving too much. There is room to relieve it further, just be careful with the dreml! A small 6-inch round rasp will be less committing and remove the stuff like a raped ape in detail work, if you want to - FWIW.

Also, the little bumper on the bottom of the cradle is there for "bumping" when dropped - giving the GPS 360-degree protection (exclusive of the display window which is exposed and would need a see-through plexi-cover or something.) That is problematic with glare and dust and production, so I'm happy to have at least improved the overall protection without sacrificing display issues. So the bumper on the bottom protects from impact/dropping and also is a place for a guy to drill a hole to tether and keep the pieces together. I toyed with it as well, and even toyed with small cording that connected all four pieces with the side clips such that the whole thing is "connected" when apart. Lots of options, but for mass usage and general appeal, I leave the bumper a place for people to go nuts for themselves if desired. Glad you are experimenting! (Don't tether the actual GPS to the cradle there though - if you are concerned about losing the GPS for some reason. If a guy wants to back up the cradle by tethering, run the Garmin lanyard out through the side crack and loop it around the ball mount - it fits. That way, if you are backing up for a cradle failure, the GPS isn't tethered to the cradle but to the RAM ball. Just to clarify for those new to this thread.

Also, I received my data from the manufacturer of Concealex, they went ahead and tested the material for radio frequency transparency in their lab in Ohio and provided me with the report. The data shows a dielectric constant that should translate positively in the GPS frequency range, which bears out what field testing has shown - good bird locks inside the cradle with the antenna covered and protected. They have not posted a link to the data sheet yet, but when they do I will provide a URL here on this thread. It was good of them to
    do the testing at my request - especially since I'm such a little guy in the scheme of things. They didn't test all the way up to the 1.5MGHz as I requested, and so until I get another shot at a lab, we're relying on interpolating their results (the labcoat guy said he'd be solid vouching for their results and that it should be good to go (rf transparent) for GPS freqs,) and all the field testing that has gone without a glitch.

Did you really rather have the KYDEX over the concealex? If that's the case, shoot me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for all Joe. You are truly Nuclear!

Stovey

15. Stovebolt

Oddometer:
    Orders coming and going - thank you fellas!

Who will be the first biker chick to sport one of these crash-tested blingy-farkles?

jeickerman built / PAID / Shipped
    EdGear built / PAID / Shipped

Terrapin84 built / Paid / Shipped
    FTB built / PAID / shipped

CJracer BUILT / PAID /SHIPPED
    dad2bike built / PAID / Shipped
    bbriggs built / PAID / Delivered
  16. Stovebolt

Oddometer:
    If anybody wants a cradle, I'll sell you one for $75 and mail it to you CONUS USPS. You'll need to mail me a check. Free shipping ($5.65 with tracking) remains in effect through the end of April for ADVRider inmates. After that, I will charge the actual shipping and will use the USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate box.

Thanks!

Stovey
  17. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Got mine today. Looks real nice. :clap
  18. Stovebolt

Oddometer:
    dad2bike

Glad you got it - keep in touch, Tom!

Stovey
  19. pigpen

pigpen Gone Riding

Oddometer:
    Stovebolt:

Excellent product! Had some problems getting the unit delivered, but that was the Postal Service!:ddog Stovebolt shipped it next day air UPS so I could use the unit in Death Valley! He trusted me to get him the funds, for the UPS fee and it arrived the day befor my trip! Thanks Stovey!

If your thinking of using any mounting system to mount a 60 series Garmin, get this case! It works incredibly well! It survived 1200 miles of insane DV riding! We had numerous product failures on the bikes. Aux tanks cracking, lost lights, missing horns, broken racks, broken skidplates,etc, etc.
    The nicest feature of the concealex case: Take the GPS off the bike, with the case attached, and drop the unit in the gravel!:baldy Duh! The garmin is still protected! Try that withe the TT or other plastic mounts, its not going to happen! Easy to keep the unit inside the tent, hotel etc. The ram mount take all of ten seconds to undo! Take it inside for lunch! Set up the route plan for the after noon instead of the hot sun!
    Thanks for such a great product! I only have a small pic w/ the unit mounted! Good pic of the bike! not so good of the product! I'll post a few pic in the next few days!
    Later,
    PIGPEN
  20. Stovebolt

Oddometer:
    Glad the cradle is working out for you! Wish I could have been on that ride in Death Valley. Reading Ride Reports over Spring Break - lots of great adventures going on out there, and the reports and pics are proving that out.:clap

Stay in touch and

Rally on my friend!

Stovey
    Team Ruptured Buzzard