ER-6 n or f for long distance touring?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by michelsavage, Feb 11, 2013.

1. michelsavage

michelsavage Gotta move

Oddometer:
    Surfing online, the reviews of Kawasaki's ER-6 n or f are all exceptionally positive and quite favorable. The ER is somewhat similar to the Ninja, with an upright seating position. I just had a F650GS - great technology but torture chambre for ass, back and neck... Anyone knows anything about the ER-6 and long distance touring? Oh, no, not the Versy. The ER-6.
  2. michelsavage

michelsavage Gotta move

Oddometer:
    Anyone with any experience of long distance touring with an ER-6 n or f? Not the Versy nor the Ninja: the ER-6 by Kawa. I saw one in Thailand with all farkles (hard aluminium cases, headlight protector, bash guard, etc etc...). Very impressive!!!
  3. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    The ER-6N is just the Ninja without its clothes. The ER-6F is the Ninja 650R in this part of the world, so your post is a little confusing.

Plenty of long distance farkles WRT luggage, better tires, tip-over protection, taller screens, etc.

I had a pleasant 25k miles on my '06, lots of 700 mile days, one over 900. That was with the Kawasaki OEM +1" seat, more comfy than stock.

[​IMG]
  4. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    The two are very similar, ER6 and Versys, with the latter getting the nod as a more capable and versatile bike. I put about 8K on my versys, it's a fun little bike, but has some quirks and wear on you. Namely harsh suspension and buzzy motor, but otherwise a pretty much bulletproof bike. Sold it for a Triumph Tiger 800XC. Absolutely lightyears better.

There are some pretty spectacular long distance trips that have been reported on the versys owners forum. I suggest you look there: http://kawasakiversys.com/

The ER6 has shorter suspension and the ninja motor tune. The Versys has longer travel and tuned for more lowend torque. The '6 is really an urban conventional streetbike. There are better choices for something long distance. The sister bike (versys) would be a start, but certainly there are others. At least the Versys would give you the road capability your F650 lacks. They are pretty limited for any off-pavement going though with the 17" front.

This is how I had my Versys setup for long distance:

[​IMG]
  5. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you like the low bar/rearset peg sportbike riding position it should be fine. I would rather have the Versys.
  6. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
    While not as relaxed as the Versys, the er-6n/f/650r is more relaxed than the ex500 was by a fair bit - (13 degree lean angle vs 22 degree on the ex500 for a 5'10" person).

Similar lean angle as the BMW f800R, and that was fine, especially for a bike with some wind.
  7. Grainbelt

Oddometer:
    Without getting into another of your famous geriatric ergonomic diatribes, there is really not anything rearset about the pegs, nor low about the bars. Given that the OP has already dismissed the Versys, I trust he knows already what he finds comfortable. If you have nothing constructive to add, please move along.

[​IMG]
    remzamora likes this.
  8. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn kids and their crazy race track only ninja bikes! :1drink
  9. Grainbelt

Oddometer:
    I bought that lid and jacket because they matched my orangey-red GS500E that was my first bike.

Ever since I saw that picture, I have only bought grey gear and white helmets. :lol3
  10. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wearing a bunch of space alien clothes too, crazy stunter nut-jobs and their rocket bikes! :lol3

I get black stuff all the time, matches everything too.
  11. p0diabl0

p0diabl0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you do feel a little cramped on the ER6 you can get footpeg lowering blocks and a bar riser. I run both on my Ninja and hated how the Versys felt when i tried it on a Kawi demo day.
    Other bikes include a DRZ and KLR so i'm no stranger to the open ergos.

As far as long distance I think the one generally agreed upon need is a new/reworked seat. The bike will handle it fine.
  12. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, I will move along. But in the picture you posted, the pegs are obviously rearset, they are behind the riders knees. Pegs that are straight down from the riders knees are standard, pegs that are out in front of the riders knees are forward. I also don't see any bend in the riders elbows. It's nowhere near as bad as some bikes, but I would still go for the Versys. You'll notice I stated that if the OP liked the riding position of the ER-6N, it is a good bike, as is the Ninja. But they are not for everybody.
  13. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    er6f ninja 650r is definitely capable touring. no doubt.
    seat is a bit on the edge for days over 600km though, so I got a airhawk.

otherwise, its my knees that suffer next, but only because I dont take enough pauses!
    check http://cycle-ergo.com/

zero gravity st High windshield if you dont mind the added buffeting.
    added sw motech 37L alu evo black side cases, without the blinkers mod is fine.
    love it, although a bit wide, but top opening is the way to go. far more useful.

[​IMG]
  14. quickstang87

quickstang87 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got just a hair under 40k miles on my '07 650R. My longest trip so far is 3000 miles in about 4 days. I have a decent ammount of mods to it though.

No windshield (try it before you knock it)
    Heated grips
    Airhawk seat cushion
    Soft bags
    HIDs
    GPS mount and 12V cigarette plug

I recently put my name into the hat for a Russell day long sport seat and I should be getting my seahorse 720 cases real soon.

The only thing left now is the suspension, which needs work in a bad way.

Are there better bikes out there? Of course. But for me the light weight, good mileage and cheap cost make this an almost perfect bike. Plus it's cool to be different. I mean, who tours on a Ninja?
  15. Rick West

Rick West Function not Farkles

Oddometer:
    Jerry, you stated in another thread that you drive a 72 Ford Pinto and your favorite bike is a Vulcan 750. You, more than anyone posting here, should not be telling anyone else what is "not for everybody":lol3
  16. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

The standard of 1955 isn't the standard of today. That bike is the most standard, neutral machine I think I've ever seen. It should define the word.
  17. MN_Smurf

MN_Smurf Capt_Confusion

Oddometer:
    Just FYI, the seat to peg relationship on the Versys is identical to the ER-6n/Ninja 650, and the bar to seat postion is almost identical. I ride a Versys, and would be just as comfy on the Ninja. The OP's issue with the Versys is either looks or seat height. Neither has a thing to do with whether or not the bike has "rearsets".
  18. davidji

davidji Taylor's Version

Oddometer:
    From my experience with both bikes (1st gen Ninja 650R, 2nd gen Versys) neither is true. www.cycle-ergo.com agrees. I don't know if later models of the Ninja 650R are more upright and less cramped at the leg, but I doubt the ergos have relaxed as much as the Versys.

I loved the Ninja, and I traveled on it more than I have on my Versys. But the Versys is much more comfortable.

I do think the Ninja is well suited for distance though. If someone has comfort issues with it they should be easily fixable. Risers, lower pegs, new seat, etc. I didn't do any of those. But a new seat would have been welcome on at least one of my trips.

The current US model of the Ninja 650R doesn't seem to have provisions for mounting side cases. I think you have to drill out or replace plastic tail pieces to do it. If you want luggage you might check and make sure your model supports it.

Deciding between the ER6N or F for long distance, I'd expect better wind protection from the F, but I'd expect the N to be less affected by cross winds. I haven't ridden the N though. I'm sure either would work.

[​IMG]
  19. Bongolia

Bongolia stop acting

Oddometer:
    I've just bought a 2009 ER6n in sunny Hong Kong. Think it will be a great urban scoot and I would be interested in feedback on hard luggage options for the bike.
  20. Grainbelt

Oddometer:
    Top case or side cases or both? Here's an idea of what is available in 'merica, you probably have more options there.

The Givi V35 sidecases on the Givi racks are just barely wider than the stock bars on the ER-6F, so you can still split lanes, in theory. Givi makes you mount them to the topcase rack - if you'd rather not run a topcase, SW-Motech make racks for just the sidecases.

in the pic they look wider, but they are just closer to the camera.