'98 k1200

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by 390beretta, Jun 19, 2013.

1. 390beretta

390beretta Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking at one and wondering if you guys have opinions about the bike? It has only 28xxx miles on it. Dealer maintained, looks very nice, has bags and has never been dropped. Adult ridden by both its previous owners. It's the multi-color, checkerboard pattern on part of the fairing. I've heard that the clutch can be a weak spot. Thanks in advance for any insights!
  2. elementalg20

elementalg20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Make sure the final drive is in good shape, check for any slop in the rear wheel(12-6, 9-3). I believe this is before the servo brakes, a plus from a maint. and reliability stand point. I think these use a hydraulic clutch and if it's like the R bikes failed slaves, or leaking rear seals can oil the clutch and ruin it. Just try your best to make sure nothing is or shows signs of leaking in the past.

If you look around you'll see quite a few of these bikes with near or in many cases over 100k miles. Nice torque, smooth, and deceptively fast. They are quite heavy but the weight is carried reasonably well in my opinion. I had a 2002 and often wonder if I should have kept that one.....but between in my addiction and finances I let it go.:D
  3. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing it's the K1200RS?
    [​IMG]

Pre-servo brakes which is good but they still have the questionable clutch. I had a K1200LT which ate 2 final drives on the same basic drivetrain.

It is a good motor and bike when it works, but damn do they have their quirks. Leave it on the sidestand a few days and it will smoke like crazy when you start it up.

After owning a BMW I shy away from them. (Many people love them tho) Just read every single thing you can about that particular model and know it inside and out before you buy.
  4. 390beretta

390beretta Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jimmy, yep that looks just like it. Thanks for the response.
  5. Disco Stu

Disco Stu Long timer

Oddometer:
    look at the seams where the transmission bolts to the engine for any sign of oil. This could indicate a leaking rear main seal or o-ring. I have a 2004 k1200rs that I had to replace the main seal and clutch. About $300 in parts if you do the work yourself.

I love riding this bike.
  6. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    I have an '02 K12RS. Love it. Plenty of power for me, totes me and the GF effortlessly.
    Good luck with it.
  7. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    If it's got the Mandarin "taxi" paint scheme then just buy it. Even if it craps out then it will still look cool just sitting in your garage.:deal
  8. kevin g

kevin g Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 1998 K1200RS has 140K miles. The clutch got oiled at about 48K and was fixed. If you don't buy this bike tell me where it is and I will. I ride mine every day to work. These K-bikes are the bomb and will cruise at 100 all day. In 140K miles only 3 or 4 times has a valve needed adjustment. Dealer service for that is a 5 hour labor bill so doing it yourself is a way to save. I hope to have a K12RS in my garage until I am too old to get on any more. Mine is showing signs of needed a new rear seal and I can't wait to dig in and do it.

You will not regret this purchase.
  9. 390beretta

390beretta Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kevin, please tell me a bit more about your bike, and your experiences with it. I would be glad to tell you where the bike is, if you really want to know. PM me if you like.

Duck! You drive me crazy with your responses:D. I'm 67yo, and not nearly as adept at MC maintenance as you and many others are and I have a covered porch to work on....not a well equipped garage like most of you guys.

Thanks again to everyone who responded!:1drink
  10. kevin g

kevin g Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is not much to add about my bike. In 140K miles the the clutch got oiled and had to be replaced at about 50K miles. It now has 140K and is in need of new seals. At about 120K miles one of the radiators developed a leak and had to be replaced.

The early models had a fuel filter that was not soldered and could burst from the pressure and would then not run. If your prospective bike has had the 24K service done the new filter should be fine.

These bikes are reliable and great to ride. With high mileage like I do things wear out and need to be replaced but that does not have any bearing on reliability. The brake lines have been replaced and the grips need to be replaced.

The biggest drawback is that a 12K service is expensive because of the valve adjustment but since I do my own work it is not a problem for me.
  11. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you have to do the clutch or rear main yourself, and can't afford to pay someone to do it, then you're looking at tearing the entire rear of the bike apart on your covered porch. That's a lot of parts sitting around waiting to be lost. The K and R have a lot of small pieces that come off in service work.

It's a brilliant machine, and I love the K-bike. But it is what it is when it comes to maintenance and fixing.
  12. FlagRS

FlagRS Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer:
    this ^

I don't do any of my own maintenance or fixing and have had one for 100K plus miles. I can tell you exactly to the penny how much I spent on both, including tires and oil. And it's not a small number.

That being said I love riding my big KRS. Long days, short days, long sweepers and tight twisties is great machine.
  13. DELTATANGO

DELTATANGO Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer:
    The faster you ride this motor the better it is.
  14. DOGSROOT

DOGSROOT OUTSIDE

Oddometer:

This is very true.

Had a '98 Taxi for a year; dunno how I remained ticket free.

Up north of the city I would find myself doubling and occasionally even tripling the legal limit. :wings

Succumbed to the lure of an '03 GT and it's touring accoutrements.

Still windscreen hunting-just removing it entirely is my favourite.

Perhaps a Z-Tecknic next?

Still miss my Taxi.

Go for it!!!
  15. Disco Stu

Disco Stu Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the only reason i've remained ticket free is because mine is blue-white striped. They must think i'm a moto-cop :evil