The Adirondacks and Beyond

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by prometheus rising, Jul 8, 2010.

1. prometheus rising

prometheus rising Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer:
    I.ve gotten quite a few pm's and emails asking about route so I thought I;d post a few here along with some info on the sights along the way

first up chestertown Ny to saranac lake NY via rte 9 and 73

http://<iframe width="600" height="600" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;source=s_d&amp;saddr=Chestertown,+NY&amp;daddr=Saranac+Lake,+NY&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=Ff4WmgId2-GZ-ykJkhZsEpPfiTELy6J2YQ_8uQ%3BFRhqpAIdvtiU-ylBH0MRMhDLTDGMFqLlVkHp_A&amp;aq=0&amp;oq=saranac&amp;sll=42.746632,-75.770041&amp;sspn=4.001558,8.470459&amp;t=h&amp;dirflg=h&amp;mra=ls&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=43.990839,-73.894043&amp;spn=1.185617,1.650696&amp;z=9&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;source=embed&amp;saddr=Chestertown,+NY&amp;daddr=Saranac+Lake,+NY&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=Ff4WmgId2-GZ-ykJkhZsEpPfiTELy6J2YQ_8uQ%3BFRhqpAIdvtiU-ylBH0MRMhDLTDGMFqLlVkHp_A&amp;aq=0&amp;oq=saranac&amp;sll=42.746632,-75.770041&amp;sspn=4.001558,8.470459&amp;t=h&amp;dirflg=h&amp;mra=ls&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=43.990839,-73.894043&amp;spn=1.185617,1.650696&amp;z=9" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

I generally slab it on I87 to exit 25 (chestertown) turn left and go

Last sunday it threatened to stop raining for the day and as the morning showed promise, off I went

[​IMG]

5 or 6 miles from the exit you hang a right which takes you along Loon Lake for a bit

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qjk78tdirNM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  2. JaxObsessed

JaxObsessed Aggressively pedantic about objective truth=Woke.

Oddometer:
    Possibly the finest photo I have seen on ADV.
    WOW.

[​IMG]
  3. Hucker

Hucker Lost

Oddometer:
    I just got done spending 12 days in Saranac Lake. It rained all but one of those days. It's been a couple of years since I was up there. Even with the rain, it made me realize how much I miss it up there.

But, it is a bad year for the black flies. Man they were thick this year.

Keep the pics coming...
  4. chromius

chromius Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey all, this is my first post (been lurking and getting inspired for a while). Just wanted to say thanks for the thread and great photos.

I've only ever done day trips around home, and I've got my first 4 day trip planned from Ottawa, Canada, down to the Adirondacks for the first week of July. Half Motel, Half Camping. Figuring I'd start small :)

So Thanks for the great ideas from this thread, and the invaluable info from this whole forum! Hopefully this is my first trip of many!
  5. Ragin Rabbi

Ragin Rabbi Semper Fidelis

Oddometer:
    I just read that the Adirondacks are the largest national park in the states. I was not aware of that, but
    Do love the place!:clap. Especially these pics. Mine so suck in comparison!:rofl
  6. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    Thanks man, who knows I may check out north conway and Maine one of these dats

Have a blast, the weather is going to be hot and humid with a threat of afternoon thunderstorms all week, cool mornings though and they are the finest you could ask for

it is a prolific black fly season, I stopped in downtown saranac for some pics and 2 seconds after taking my helmet off I was under heavy attack
  7. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jax, the combination of heat and humidity makes for some beautiful misty early mornings

Yes it is and it's a magical place to ride
  8. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    10 or 12 miles from Loon Lake is Scroon Lake

Entering many of The Adirondack towns and villages is like stepping in a time machine and being dropped back into a bygone era when things were so much simpler and Schroon lake is no exception

Its one of those places where old friends catch up over coffe in the local diner

[​IMG]

And there's only 1 Theater in town

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The main street is mostly small local businesses

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And they have a very cool public beach

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Where you can hang out on a bench and enjoy the view

[​IMG]

And have a picnic

[​IMG]
  9. UpST8

UpST8 turnin gas to noise

Oddometer:
    :thumb Thanks for the post!!! BEAUTIFUL!! This is the home state I want to remember.
  10. readymix

readymix Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had to finally join the forum after reading this post. Just wanted to thank you for the memories.

I grew up in Schroon Lake and the pictures you posted brought back many memories. I saw the first Terminator movie in the Strand Theater, and I learned to play the drums at Flanigan's bar. I also lived in an apartment above one of the stores you took a photo of.

Thanks again for the post. I'm really enjoying it. Maybe someday I'll be back in NY and enjoy a ride around the area.
  11. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    Thanks upST8, here's hoping you had good weather for your trip back

Great town to grow up in, although the winters must have been killer, welcome to the aylum

I did see them pull up and park and though they didn't do cartwheels trust me when I say they were young robust and had no business parking there
  12. chromius

chromius Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just got back from my trip, and wow. Joe You truly are lucky to live in such a beautiful place, with great roads!

I really enjoyed exploring the area, and while the weather was on and off rain, you were spot on that the mornings were always beautiful and nice and crisp. Always made sure I was up early to take it all in. I'll be returning for sure, because there were lots of things I wanted to explore, but ran out of time.
  13. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you enjoyed it and had a safe trip, if you can make it back in the fall you'll see a color show like no other
  14. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    Route 9 used to be the main road to get to the North Country until I-87 aka the Northway was completed, Over the years this resulted in some areas losing their luster.

North Hudson used to be home to Frontier Town one of the amusement parks that used to dot The Adirondacks.

Opened in 1952 , closed for a number of years in the 80's and shut down for good in 1998

Oddly enough it's right off an exit but times passed it by

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The motel is still there ( and it;s for sale)

[​IMG]

Although there may be bad karma there for some

[​IMG]

Take a left out of the parking lot however and you;ll come to one of the finest rides around - Blue ledge

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<IFRAME height=480 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OSHNrrQEfeY?rel=0" frameBorder=0 width=640 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
  15. readymix

readymix Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My friends family owned frontier town, and both my grandmother and mother had jobs there when they were young.
    We used to go there all the time.
  16. Caymen8

Caymen8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Prometheus! I've just spent a whole bunch of lunch hours reading your whole thread. If there was such a thing as Adirondacks Ambassador, you would be the perfect guy for the job. I've done some bicycle trips in New York, Vermont, and Maine, but I've never been able to take the time to get my motorcycle up there. Now I'll have to figure out a way to do it!

Your photography is astonishing! I showed some of your work to my wife and we both agree that it belongs in an art book. Do you use a filter to get the really red/orange shots?

Thanks for the great photos and the entertaining writing. But thanks most of all for reminding us that we don't have to go on an around the world trip to enjoy adventure riding. Many times (as in your case and my case) some of the best riding is right in our own back yard.

Cheers! :clap:clap
  17. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    My folks took us up there a couple of times too, great place for kids

you may be interested in this http://www.frontiertown.net/

Thanks for stopping by and the kind words

some times I use a circular polarizer or a graduated nd. mmost of the time i just wait for the right light, like when the sun ducks brhind a cloud or a slightly overcast day, these are the times the colors really pop

also play with different exposures. for every decent shot there are at least 10 or 15 of the same that get deleted immediatly

The early morning shots are the resullt of fog and mist which really make for some fantastic photo ops
  18. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    Leaving North Hudson you continue up Route 9 and just before you Transition to Rte 73 you will find yourself here

[​IMG]

T Road, do not pass this up, seriously, it's some of the best twisties you'll find in the North East

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Hq-B4w3S9L8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  19. David R

David R I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer:
    Oops
  20. operose

operose Mama tried

Oddometer: