The rarest, most unusual bike you've ever OWNED

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Al Goodwin, Nov 5, 2012.

1. folknride

folknride Old Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For the 70's decade I rode one of these - I think it was a '68, but memory fails :wink:.
    I don't have/can't find any old snapshots, but if looked exactly like this beautiful restoration.

[​IMG]

It had some very unique features: enclosed sprocket and chain; snorkel air intake; exhaust designed to allow submersion; clip on handlebars, etc. It was very cool and capable, and, I don't know how rare they were in North America, but I have never seen another one in the flesh.
    I often think of trying to find one and restoring it, but I'd probably rather just ride.

(my clearest memory of the bike is that my new wife at the time nearly left me when I bought it - she didn't like bikes back then and "thought I was over it" - yeah, right :rofl)
  2. German Trick

German Trick Long timer

Oddometer:
    1995 Buell S2 Thunderbolt that I sold back to its original owner. 1399 built.

[​IMG]

1995 Bimota db2 that I sold last year. Just over 400 built.

[​IMG]

1971 Norton Production Racer. 119 built for homologation.

[​IMG]

1949 Triumph TR5 Trophy. Less than 400 built.

[​IMG]

1982 KZ1000R. 900 built.

[​IMG]
    crk, ErikMotoMan and Steve G. like this.
  3. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
    German Trick, you've owned some great stuff. :wink:
  4. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

Thankyou. Some truly great machines. I didn't realize the ELR's were so rare. No wonder I cannot find a real one.
  5. Nophix

Nophix Ride. Eat. Repeat

Oddometer:
    I had an '82 just like that, with the '83 wastegate spring upgrade. Awesome bike!
  6. mtnbikeboy

mtnbikeboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1989 Transalp. Not super rare I know, but it's the rarest I've owned. My first motorcycle, stolen 3 wks after I finished a 2 year assembly. :cry Insurance did give me triple what I had in it though. :clap

From This:
    [​IMG]

To This:
    [​IMG]
    crk likes this.
  7. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    One of 110 Buell RS1200-5 bikes in the world and only one of fifteen California 'kit' bikes, complete with the controversial flip-up passenger backrest:
    [​IMG]

One of 25 or so, low-pipe KTM Adventures brought to the US (
    documented here):
    [​IMG]

500 made per year, worldwide, one of about 50 a year that came to the US. KTM's first electric start bike--the 620 Duke

[​IMG]

One of 200 Cagiva Elefants brought to the US. Badged here as a Ducati, they didn't even bother making MPH speedometers for them:
    :lol3
    [​IMG]

Most people never even heard of Excelsior Henderson, though they DID build 1,950, genuine, American motorcycles that had no Harley clone parts.
    I bought this one in 2000 and vowed to never sell it.
    [​IMG]

Having one of the 1,950 wasn't rare enough so I added one of the final bikes: one of fifty Touring Limited Editions--their only fully loaded touring model.

[​IMG]
    crk likes this.
  8. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Thanks guys, nice to see it appreciated. Yes, I believe it was built up on a crankcase from the 125s.

I was excited to get the bike - had lusted after it as it sat for months in the showroom of the local Maico dealer.

Eventually it came up used and I bought it with a brother of mine who also rode. But the ownership experience was a sad one, largely due to dealer inexperience with the model and some inattention on his part and bad luck.

It went off the road needing new rings, which I couldn't get at the time. As I say, it is not out of the question bits could be scavenged now that would get it running. All the rubber bits have perished, of course. One day ...
  9. Al Goodwin

Al Goodwin Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

1976 TY250......YEAH, its BLUE. I've got one in the garage now.
    David4 likes this.
  10. orangebear

orangebear Long timer

Oddometer:
    i learned to ride on one years ago. i had happy times frashing one down the road.
  11. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    probably my first and second bikes were the "rarest" I've owned. Well over 25 years ago.

a garelli 50cc PoS and a Bantam Bushman 175 PoS :).
  12. Crash48

Crash48 Secular Lord

Oddometer:
    I think it's a four way tie for my low budget and short five year riding history... I also owned a '74 GT380 for about 3 months back in 1980.

'78 KZ400 in '08
    [​IMG]

'01 W650 in '09
    [​IMG]

'90 RC342 from 2010-12
    [​IMG]

'87 XL600V (Current)
    [​IMG]
  13. spanky

spanky Well, maybe....

Oddometer:
    In terms of rarity I have you beat. BMW imported to the U.S. approximately 720 K1's over four years of production. But your bike is by far the uglier of the two.:lol3
    [​IMG]
    Next up is my '92 Ducati 907IE in charcoal black. Only 50 were brought to this country that year.
    [​IMG]
    ErikMotoMan likes this.
  14. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    Not precisely rare, but perhaps low volume.

I owned two interesting Suzukis: a 1980 GS1000S (the Wes Cooley model -- technically it wasn't a replica, but rather the bike Cooley's race bike was based on) and a 1983 Katana 1100. Both had US production numbers in the 1000~1100 range. Both were stolen. Bastards. Of the two, I'd own the 1000S again to use, but not the Katana.... except to look at --- it was an uncomfortable torture rack to ride.

Pix aren't mine, just what came up in a google search.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Steve G. and scottoftheantipodes like this.
  15. corzapp

corzapp Every ride an adventure

Oddometer:
    I am pretty sure that I own the only 1954 Zundapp KS601 with a Corvair engine.
  16. GI_JO_NATHAN

GI_JO_NATHAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pics?
  17. corzapp

corzapp Every ride an adventure

Oddometer:
  18. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
    A Z1000...

:D

I haven't owned many bikes :evil
  19. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    1975 - 1964 Rickman Metisse with a '73 T100C engine. Life was an adventure, and we had no labels. Best handling bike off road, gravel and seal I've ever had....my Holy Grail...still searching for the perfect bike I once had. The dirty auld mug no one wanted has turned into a jewelled golden chalice I can only look at.

[​IMG]

1971 Yamaha XS1 - again who would ever think that a $200 bike would fetch more than 10 times that amount in today's market.

[​IMG]

1987 Honda XLV750, sold in 2004 with much regret, only now being appreciated as a rare and special bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1997 Yamaha DT230, sold in 2008 - high tech 2 stroke, end of an era, sure to a collectors item someday.

[​IMG]
  20. Tim

Tim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well Donkey Hotey has beaten me to the draw with the MK1 620 Adventure, and the 900 Elefant :thumb

So I'll start with previously owned bikes, 2 Caponord Rally Raids

[​IMG]

Not rare in Europe but rare in the U.S, 2 Africa Twins

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And currently owned, an Aprilia Tuareg Wind

[​IMG]

Tenere

[​IMG]

a TDR 250

[​IMG]
    crk likes this.