Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Damn, good eye there Mr. Tom. I can see a guard on the right as well. :scratch
  3. EEKAMOUSE

EEKAMOUSE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And what's the giant skidplate plz share!
  4. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Giant skid plate has a 'tool box' on each side.

The dual radiators is interesting!
  5. Gany

Gany Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dual radiators, a great idea, dummy radiator guard???:huh:huh Seems like another place for catching dirt & mud?
  7. reddirtjoe

reddirtjoe motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Let's Ride some red dirt!!.... NorthCentOklahoma
    Fork seals? How to replace?

91 Octane? Wnere? what does everyone else do?:eek1
  8. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    I run 87 mostly, every so often I splurge and put in 93. It runs exactly the same.
  9. Joe Watson

Joe Watson Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. pfy50

pfy50 Professional nOOb

Oddometer:
    Yes but then you would have to cut and match the complex curve angles of the tank area around the fuel pump intake. So much easier to reorder the tank heat shield that comes on the OEM tank and place that around the fuel pump. That is what I did; it fits quite nicely and it took about 5 minutes with the tank off prior to its first installation.:D
  11. DiegoRomo

DiegoRomo Aka Disco

Oddometer:
    Im selling my stock levers in case anyone is interested, perfect condition except for some scuffs on the tip of the brake. Im also including the stock perch. $30 plus $7 shipping takes em. Please message me.

[​IMG]
  12. Nice_Rumble

Nice_Rumble Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone else's license plate light really loose? I tried tightening the bolts but there is an internal spacer that prohibits making it any tighter plus the nuts are capped. Is it loose by design? Shorter bolts or a standard nut makes no difference due to the spacer.

[​IMG]
  13. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    Yes.

I took an old handlebar grip, cut a rectangular piece the size of the LP light housing, punched holes in it where the bolts would pass through, and used it as a spacer between the light housing and the back of the fender. It solidified the housing quite a bit and I like to think the rubber adds dampening to keep the vibes from breaking the bulb filament.
  14. 10Cup

10Cup Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah that's how it's designed, you can add washers behind the cap nuts to help squeeze the rubber and tighten it some.

I also found my tail light lens loose and no way to tighten it. Ended up putting some thin (IE cut with scissors) foam between it and the plastic. Has worked well now for many many miles.
  15. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    I noticed the same thing, but didn't do anything about it ,since tightening does not resolve.

Do we think this is an issue that needs to be addressed, or an intentional design "feature"?
  16. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    :y0!

NO! :lol3:lol3:lol3

I still can't get over trying to retrofit a manual cam chain tensioner in this bike.
  17. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    The plate light holder is made that way. IIRC, its a filament bulb( as opposed to an LED), and if hard mounted, is more likely to break...especially on a tail that is potentially bouncing around all the time, harshly.

The filament bulb on my DRZ tailight(aftermarket) would break couple times a season.
  18. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    :vardy Snow has started to fall in and around Fairbanks, a nice sheet of ice has formed on the roads, and for the first time since I've started riding I've had to put my bike up for the winter. Or at least until I can get studded knobbies...

She's been sitting since late september, with the temps getting into the negative teens overnight the last couple weeks, thoroughly cold soaked. Went out to change the oil for winter and run some stabil through her, and she started right up like nothing. :D Dang I love this tough old girl...

If anyone is interested in a set of stock X wheels, let me know if you're interested. I'm pretty well decided on swapping back to dirt wheels come spring, as well as getting a second bike.
  19. Joe Watson

Joe Watson Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, so I got my starter/kill switch from K&S which is great! Saved a bunch not buying through Yamaha.
    [​IMG]

BUT!!!!!! Now my bloody indicator switch wont push in to return. I have pulled it apart cleaned, lubed and everything, but I just can't get it to push and return. Any suggestions on how to fix it before I fork out for a new one of these?
  20. Joe Watson

Joe Watson Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very sad to see it go, I have put countless hours into getting it to this stage and it has taken me to MANY incredible places!!

It does not have dual radiators, just a guard to keep roost off all the bits behind there and it is no different than cleaning the radiator guard on the other side! The bash plate does have two tool boxes, one either side.

Everything on the bike I built myself, all the info is in my build log here (page 8 has all the new stuff):

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=678192

[​IMG]