Japen scooter becoming like bristish motorcycle before they went down for the count.

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by fullmetalscooter, Oct 22, 2012.

1. hugemoth

hugemoth Bad Motorscooter

Oddometer:
    Sounds almost as bad as my friends 2008 Harley.

2. max57

max57 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just as I always suspected. A poorly made scooter can be lethal. Or almost.Glad you survived to tell the tale.
  3. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    hugemoth,
    That's cold.:rofl
  4. hugemoth

hugemoth Bad Motorscooter

Oddometer:
    Cold but true. He bought it new. 6 times in the shop during the first year mostly for fuel injection issues which caused the engine to die at random times. Got rear-ended once. Finally after they really got it fixed and it seemed reliable we took a 1200 mile trip, him on the Harley, me on my 30 year old Goldwing. The rear brake caliper came apart at 70 mph, locking up the rear wheel. He had it towed to the nearest Harley dealership, left it, and had his wife pick him up.

Probably one of those Chinese made Harleys.

5. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ah, fuel injection strikes again. I had a 1985 Goldwing LTD with fuel injection. Nothing but trouble, and could not find parts for it. I got it running fairly well and sold it. Bought a 1995 Goldwing, which has carbs. Only problems I've had with that were with some of the electronic gadgets, none of which kept it from running. A carbed Harley EVO is actually quite reliable, as long as you leave them stock. The EVO engine is strong, it has to be in order to deal with a single crankpin 45 degree v-twin design. But it was not designed to make more than stock power, and when you hot rod one, failures are common. A properly built stock EVO will last 100,000 miles. Then they are easy to rebuild. Any decent mechanic can rebuild one to better than stock specs, using better than stock parts for critical areas.
  6. vortexau

vortexau Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer:
    So, would a Chinese made Harley be anyway comparable to a Japanese-built (Rikuo RT2) Harley?

[​IMG]
    Harley-Davidson’s Japanese connection