CCM 450 Adventure

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ktmmitch, Jan 21, 2013.

1. orlando_orange

orlando_orange deslyxic tepyr

Oddometer:
    hmmm this bike could be a real good one.... hopefully with rallyraid's involvement it will have all the right bits in the right places...
  2. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    That's not how I read it. The chart seems to indicate that at every 1000Km you replace the valves, timing chain, head gasket, piston, crankshaft, crankcase bearings, but the oil doesn't need changing until 5000Km. Bizarre.

Anything with an S in the second last column needs changing at the 1000km interval if I'm reading it right.

Hopefully that should be 10,000 at the top of the column, not 1000.
  3. FreeTheBeast

FreeTheBeast no road left untaken Supporter

Oddometer:
    It makes one wonder why an adventure bike would have a motor with such short service intervals. Are the targeting the Starbucks adventure rider?
  4. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    An Adventure bike for people with short attention spans. So the luggage looks redundant to me. All you'd need is an overnight bag.
  5. DoctorIt

DoctorIt vrooom!

Oddometer:
    You got a problem with that??? :lol3

I wouldn't mind being able to snatch up parts of that bike for my G450X...
  6. Mudclod

Mudclod Mojo Moto

Oddometer:
    We can't even get an XTZ, I doubt we'll see this beauty.
  7. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer

Oddometer:
    Looks nice, I would love to try one out. Wonder if I would fit?

Extra power and torque is good, compared to most any 250 DS, but also not as heavy as a 650 DS.
  8. tokyoklahoma

tokyoklahoma 75%has been 25%wanabe

Oddometer:
    I have been thinking of buying Husqvarna's TE449, and trying to live with the narrow ratio 6speed, or KTM's 450exc and taking a chance on reliability. (I know, I've heard both sides).
    Because nothing else comes close to want I want in a weekender motorcycle. Other than Suzuki's DR650 which IMO is just a bit too much of a good thing.

So....YES I will buy one of these! IF it has a wide-ratio 6 speed.:deal
    The looks are right on the money for what I want!!! :evil:clap:evil

Can't wait for more info.:ear
  9. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not the 450 EXC, but the 350/500 EXC. Newer tech; rave reviews.
  10. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    sooooo..... even if that service column is 10000, you are still supposed to replace the crank & bearings at 10,000k (6000 miles)?? thats a summer's ridin'.... mebby 2 tops. that would give one pause... an expensive total rebuild every couple years... not interested if that is the case

on the other hand, I need the bike this represents.... as noted, wide ratio 6 speed, injected, 40+ hp, (50 is better), decent suspension, lighter than a DR, enough stator power to run a vest & some lights.... possibly a bigger gastank

who will deliver?
  11. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Te-610 / te-630.
  12. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    I would agree, although I imagine the figures on that service sheet refer to 'competition use', as the G450X engine/bike was originally designed as a competitor to the other European Enduro bikes, and the Husky TE449 continues that tradition of a 'hard enduro' (to use KTM's nomenclature).

I'm sure if used in the role CCM have in mind for it (ie. 'trail' riding), then the requirement for major servicing/component replacement is far lower and intervals can be significantly extended? - similar to EXCs etc used for dual-sport riding?

Sure a small sump [if they haven't increased oil capacity] means typically 1000 mile oil changes to be safe, but I imagine the rest of the internals shouldn't need much attention in day to day use?

I guess there is always going to be a compromise [particularly for small manufacturers who have to buy-in engines] as there are very few modern 450cc engines to choose from that aren't competition orientated these days?

At least this BMW engine produces good power for it's size and weight, which means the overall package should be far more nimble than the 650cc class adventure bikes...

I think what CCM have done here is essentially produced an off-the-shelf 'adventurised' European Enduro bike - it may not suit everyone, but at least that option is now out there?

Jx
  13. frostyuk

frostyuk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    if you look at bartons experience with his 70degree berg from the husaberg adventure team (ok its a 570 but essentially the same engine as the 450/390) he's changing oil on average every 40 hours compared to the 15 hours in the manual and an oil filter every 2nd or 3rd oil change. he's clocked up over 20,000miles now with no ill affects and no need to adjust valves etc after riding back from the record attempt in south america back to north america, so these competition engines can be very good in a non race enviroment
  14. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Yes- similarly I have a friend who did over 17,000 miles on a KTM400EXC (admittedly the older RFS design) trail riding and traveling in both Spain and Morocco, with nothing but regular oil changes and a valve check once a year...

Even her current generation 400EXC has been to Spain and back with no problems - well, other than the limited comfort from the stock seat... that engine is sound too...

Jx
  15. juames

juames Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer:
    They could increase the oil capacity by adding some in the frame like other bikes. Could add another 500-600ml, wouldn't that increase oil change intervals?
  16. elsalvadorklr

elsalvadorklr southern xr rider

Oddometer:
    is this true? the maintenance part of the 449 etc?
  17. gravelklr

gravelklr gravelklr

Oddometer:
    Exactly, Mud...:wave
  18. rotten

rotten LOST AGAIN

Oddometer:
    I'd love to see one in the States but this is likely as close as I am going to get.... :cry
  19. Beserker

Beserker Red Rider

Oddometer:
    Have you forwarded your contact details to the various R&D departments?

If not, please do... exactly what I will be looking for.
  20. byron555

byron555 Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not enough chrome for the usa.... we love harley davidson, chrome and excess weight... add a chrome plated, lead anchor with a loud pipe and it will be perfect for the Ol' USA