iPhone to Android

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by levain, Sep 30, 2012.

1. BillsR100

BillsR100 Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer:
    THAT right there is why I avoid Apple anything.

-------------
    Way off topic, but I'm waiting to get a Nokia Windows Phone. After playing with a friends Nokia 900 Windows phone, holy cow it was nice. :eek1
  2. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's why its of a consideration for me. I'm feeling a little too locked in to Applemania. Then again, Google seems to be a much bigger brother than Apple will ever be..
  3. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Uh, the Nokia lumia 900 doesn't do USB mass storage mode, so given your highlighting, you might want to shop carefully... :-)
  4. BillsR100

BillsR100 Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer:
    Wow, Thank you, I stand corrected. I thought the new Nokia Windows 8 phone was going to come with USB file browsing ability. I just did a ton of googling and reading and find that it will allow bluetooth file sharing but only for "media files"! I am aware of file sharing thru the "cloud" but that has many drawbacks and is unusable if your not connected to the net.
    Damn, I think my optimistic view of the upcoming Nokia's just got shot down in flames. :lol3 (seriously)
  5. seuadr

seuadr Wee-stromer

Oddometer:
  6. discochris

discochris Stayin' Alive

Oddometer:
    Sometimes the Twin Cities, Sometimes NW Wisconsin
    I had the original Motorola Droid. I now have an iPhone 4s. There are pros and cons to each platform.

I've been a very loyal Verizon customer for many years, but I'm also a Mac loyalist (in part due to my job as a graphic designer). I got the Droid because at the time, the iPhone was AT&T only. My wife was on AT&T at the time, because she had to travel internationally and needed a GSM phone.

She switched to Verizon when she changed jobs, and we both upgraded to the 4s. The reason being it made no sense for us to have separate apps, chargers, etc.

The iPhone from a hardware standpoint is far superior to any other smartphone IMO. Yes, it doesn't have as large a screen as some Android devices, but from my perspective, it's a far more solid, well-built piece of equipment. IOS is also far more stable than Android. My iPhone never crashes. My Droid got progressively worse the longer I had it. I know others whose Android phones from various companies were almost unusable after about two years. The apps for IOS are, in my experience, of much higher quality in terms of usability, graphics and stability than anything on Android, though I've heard that's improving.

That said, I loved that the Android platform is so much more flexible than iOS (I don't jailbreak my phone). The best thing was using PDAnet to tether my laptop and not have to pay to use it as a hotspot. Not an option on the iPhone w/o jailbreaking, or paying extra. Having it appear as a standard USB device was nice as well for moving files back and forth.

I'm really annoyed with Apple for changing the connectors/chargers on the iPhone 5, but my hope is that they keep that connector for as long as they did the iPod/iPhone 3,4. If they do, no big deal. If you stick with Android, you're at the mercy of different manufacturers and their types of connectors. In addition, there are a ton more accessories for the iPhone than there are for different Android phones. (I couldn't even get a case easily for my Droid a year after I got it).

I suspect we'll stick with Apple next time out, but we may be switching back to AT&T, simply because Verizon's coverage at our cabin is terrible, and it seems to be even worse with the iPhone than it was with the Droid.
  7. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    The platform supports it doesn't mean all the phones do. This is the same on android, BTW. Basically you can expect phones with removable SD cards to support it, those with only internal storage to not (there are exceptions to the latter on android).

As for your link, USB host is in the context of SD cards:
  8. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you aware of a single android phone that doesn't use a USB connector?
  9. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:

Wait wait wait. I've recently had and used a original droid. It's a pretty good phone (and not hard to find accessories for), but you're comparing it to a phone that's something like 5-6 generation newer. I now have a droid x- still several generations out of date, but quite a big upgrade from the original droid. Like pound sand mentions, all android phones that I'm aware of use micro usb, whereas the apple phones just switched to a completely new connector.

My droid x has crashed once or twice in the last 6 months. Mostly because the FM radio program is somewhat buggy- but still, I'm thrilled to have a phone that has an FM radio tuner built in, that's most of what I listen to at work, and to have it integrate with getting calls/making calls on the same headset is really nice.
  10. Les Peterson

Les Peterson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just last week refrained from drinking the apple juice and got a Samsung S3. This is coming from several Samsung models the last one being a S2 Skyrocket. I love the Android OS and don't tinker with it. I do love the USB connection for my computers and even in my truck. That is just not an option with the Iphone. I have never had OS problems with any of my android devices either, I have never not found an ap and most aps I use are free. One of the aps I use is the OnStar ap for android. Other users of that ap for Iphone have had lots of problems to the point of it not working at all.
  11. pacman1

pacman1 Long timer

Oddometer:

+eleventybillion
  12. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    I don't know what you're doing wrong, but I've got 1000s of .mp3s in my iTunes and they've transferred from iTunes to iPod, iPhone & iPad without issue as well as transferring from PC to PC over the years. I've purchased 2 yes 2 albums from iTunes in my life. So I don't know what you're doing differently.

Apple wins in the hardware department hands down. Their shit just works and it lasts, my iPhone 3GS is over 3 years old, I've owned Cellphones since 1996 (Nokia 1610) and I've yet to have any last this long let alone a single battery!

Apple might have more controls and what not but if this were not the case the average user would experience more glitches and software crashes. I've had to do a hard reset 1x in 3 years with the iPhone, people I know with Androids need to do it often and regularly have software updating problems.

Only the most hardcore geeky developer types benefit from the Android platform. The other 99% of us don't need it. I LOVE the fact that Android exists because it keeps Apple on their game and they're always a step ahead.
  13. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    After almost five years using iPhones, I'm ready to make a switch. I'm sick to death of iTunes and not being able to just transfer files on my computer without plugging into that God-awful program. I hate that there is no slot for external storage and you can't swap batteries. I also hate the constant mobile charger problems I've had with every iPhone I've owned. However, there are things I like about it too. The availability of apps is amazing, the aftermarket accessories are plentiful, and the ability to call up customer support and talk to an English-speaking person on this side of the pond is a welcome change from how things generally are now.

I've about made my mind up on the Galaxy SIII. Does anyone who has one know of any good weatherproof motorcycle mounts for it? I've done a few searches and haven't turned up anything that really catches my eye... But if there's one thing I've learned from asking questions on forums, it's that my Google-fu is weak!
  14. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    A phone lasting 3 years isn't exactly special.

And I've had no hard resets in 3 years on android, nor has my wife (4 years). Nor did I on webos, iOS, or winmo before that. Oh yeah, not on my BlackBerry either. Your phone sucks. ;)

But many of us prefer it anyway. :cool:
  15. Aghartha

Aghartha Idiot

Oddometer:
    Hahaha what?
  16. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    what a good simple forum for a Galaxy S2?
    I want to move stuff around on the screen, maybe write an app or two and jsut learn more about it

tahnks
    Hay Ewe
  17. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. seuadr

seuadr Wee-stromer

Oddometer:
    comming up on 3 years with my original evo, haven't had a reset, or a battery replacement or anything either. We must be doing something wrong :deal
  19. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
  20. Retro

Retro Just the Facts Ma'am

Oddometer:
    My contract comes up in December. I've been using a Droid X, which has been a great phone. Thinking about the Galaxy III or even the IPhone 5. I can see no reason to leave the Droid platform, and I don't doubt Apple makes good stuff. But I use Spotify for music and it works great. Importing is simple and done via wireless. I don't even have to physically connect to a computer. As for ITunes, I have it on my PC, but I hate it.

Haven't heard a compelling argument for going Apple on an item that is going to be replaced every 18 to 24 months.