Bike wrecked, insurance question

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by Heino, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Heino

Heino Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey,

I guess I totaled my bike yesterday in a very stupid way: I came down south pass into Saline Valley in Death Valley NP and hit a rock that just chopped the oil inlet from the oil cooler on the engine side off. Only proper way to fix it would be to replace the Crankcase which costs $1500 (+gaskets, labor etc). Total cost probably >2000, that's why I think the bike is totaled.

Anywho, my problem right now is: Will my insurance (progressive) pay for it? Since I'm German and over here only for this trip, I have never dealt with US insurance companies before and I couldn't find any helpful information online. I have collision coverage with a $500 deductible. Will they cover it, although it happened on a dirt road? If not, can I make them pay by telling them I hit a curb or something?

Also I have roadside assistance from them. Will they pay for towing? The bike is still out there, 50 miles from pavement, so towing alone would probably cost me >$1000.

If anyone has answers to these questions, I would be very thankful!

EDIT: I don't want to call them and tell them the truth, thus not getting any money from them, if I could get money with a tiny little lie. That's why I'm asking here. :D
  2. avocadofarmer

avocadofarmer Fruit Coot

Oddometer:
    I've got no idea about the insurance...best speak to your adjuster.

You might get some kind off roader to tie a rope to his bumper and long tow you back. Put the rope between your foot and the peg and if things get hairy, just step off the rope. I agree tho, having an actual tow truck come out there would be expensive, big time.

Good luck!
  3. Heino

Heino Adventurer

Oddometer:
    problem is: bike's in there, I'm out here (Lone Pine). I don't think I can coincidentially find somebody who is headed that way. I was waiting by the bike for about 20 hours (including yesterday's night) until a ranger picked me up. Not a single vehicle came by during that time. Otherwise my bike would probably be here with me...
  4. Morgan Steele

Morgan Steele Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dear Heino - If you're going to come to the USA and lie to us, please have the courtesy of running for Congress first. :D
  5. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    You have another problem with the bikes location when damaged.
    Inyo County clearly marks Saline Valley Road as closed :deal that way they are not responsible for maintenance of the road. I don't think insurance would like that too much either.

Hard to say if insurance will pay much. If the bike is totalled at less than $2000, then $500 deductible might leave you $1000... Did you have a bash plate?

6. holckster

holckster dougholck

Oddometer:
    This is off the Advrider "tentspace list"
    He is in Bishop 1 hour north up Hwy 395..
    http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3153280

Call these phone numbers out of the 2012 BMW Anonymous Book
    Bishop, Ca
    760/920-8803
    760/920-6616
    760/872-3229

How bad was road to bike location?
    Rent a U-Haul van and go get it (Do not tell them you are going offroad and wash it top to bottom, in and out before returning)?

Call local tow company and get a quote.
    I have Progressive Insurance and BMOA roadside Assistance and both have tow to nearest authorized BMW dealer clause.
    Not sure about offroad recovery, may need to get bike to pavement.
    Depends on what policy you paid for, call them.

Stop a local with a 4 wheel drive ( hang out at the local diner or truckstop) and hire him or ask if he has a friend who can help, rent U-haul trailer.
    Visit all local 4 wheel drive or bike shops in the area, ask for help.
    Weekend comming up, someone might just do it for fun or to make a few bucks?

For moral support or if everything else fails, call me.
    209/7476453

Good Luck
  7. Dahlin

Dahlin Need more time...

Oddometer:
    When I blew my KTM 950SE engine when I was in a different country, I just called my insurance company back home and thay told me how to handle the situation and also helpt me with phone numbers to a towing company and a KTM dealer.

Have you called your people in germany?
  8. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1. There shouldn't be a dirt clause in your policy and you were on a public road. Accidents happen and that is why you have insurance. Trying to be cute just costs more.
  9. thumperpilot

thumperpilot Thumper Pilot

Oddometer:
    :lol3

10. vfxdog

vfxdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Santa Monica or London, depending on work.
    As you're in Lone Pine, talk to Miller Towing. They specialize in getting vehicles out of areas like the South Pass. They might even be able to tell you if your recovery insurance will be of any use.

There's also an association of Saline Valley regulars who have a forum

http://forum.salinepreservation.org/

Some of them still use the South Pass (even though it is in terrible condition) and if you post on their forum someone might even offer to help you extract your bike. In any event the rangers will insist it's removed and might even do it at your cost if there's any delay.

In terms of repairs, why not post details of your bike and you might even get some cost-effective suggestions for getting you up and running.

As far as claiming from your insurance goes- if there's any sniff of a lie, the discussion will probably be very brief.

Good luck.
  11. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Better hope no one with your insurance company peruses this site. Your lie is now public knowledge worldwide.
  12. Cale_Kat

Cale_Kat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thinking creatively on the matter, not deceptively. If you rented a pickup, you and a friend could retrieve the bike for less than $1000.

Failure to speak with the insurance company is just going to make them mad. Companies are people. (At least the customer service people are, I'm not sure about insurance adjusters.) But if it appears that you are withholding information they have every right to pull every trick in the book (the fine print on the contract usually gives a great deal of latitude when determining the extent of coverage) because you were being uncooperative.

If they are going to own this bike, which what you would like, then you're going to need to establish a honest rapport with them.

Just my $.02.
  13. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been in a similar situation, aside from the out of country part. Had to have my bike towed off a mountain pass. A special wrecking service came in and extracted my bike with me for $650. My insurance (Allstate) covered this bill and totaled out my bike. Of course my rates did go up accordingly.
  14. cliffy109

cliffy109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just be honest. Seriously. If you policy doesn't cover it, you didn't pay enough for it in the first place. You have whatever coverage you paid for. You probably will have a good claim anyway and you're having an ethical lapse for nothing. Just call and tell them what happened and what you need.
  15. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the USA insurance fraud is a serious crime. Tell the truth. Take your lumps.

Our prisons are horrible.

Rod
  16. Snarky

Snarky Vodka Infused.

Oddometer:
    Unless you got a real purty mouth. Then you can get bubba to protect you.

Best just to tell the truth.
  17. vfxdog

vfxdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Santa Monica or London, depending on work.
    You would need a very fancy pickup to retrieve anything from the South Pass at the moment. If you took a regular pickup in as far as it would go, you'd probably be facing a bill for $1K just for repairs. It is really, really rough there and even the serious 4WD gang are having issues getting through.

I'm sure though that there will be someone around with a truck with lots of ground clearance, large wheels, locking hubs etc who would be willing to help this guy get his bike out. I'd happily drive up from LA and do it except I don't have a 4-wheeled vehicle that could even get close.
  18. RFVC600R

RFVC600R Long timer

Oddometer:
    I carry straps and stuff on my rack. I've found several people broke down/out o' gas/injured in the desert around here and never really been much help. but hopefully I can change that. One time I ran out of gas on my way to the station and some old man in a Polaris Ranger just happened to be on the same trail as me coming the opposite way. He gave a ride ride to the gas station and back :D. Turned out to be a fun day.

Breaking down in the desert sucks bad. Even in a "popular" area, you don't see too many people. And even less are willing to help it seems.

Sorry about your luck.
  19. Heino

Heino Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all your advice. Talked to the insurance, told them what happened and they're sending a tow truck. It was a hassle. I don't have cell service, we got disconnected about 5 times. I called them like 25 times from a paid phone. Altogether it took around 3 hours.. Anyway, they have me covered as it looks. This is good! The only downside: The tow truck might not come here until Monday and I wanted to be in LA for a Big Bang Theory filming on Tuesday. Guess that's not going to happen now. I'm just curious if it's totaled or not. But it looks like I have enough time here in Lone Pine to make plans for both scenarios and figure out how to finish my trip. I don't want to leave without doing Hwy 1 between LA and SF..This is my biggest concern right now..

EDIT: Oh, and that whole lying thing was just desperation speaking, not something I would have been comfortable with..

EDIT 2: Man, I'm getting old: In case the bike is totaled, do they consider the value of all the farkles? Or, if not, can I take that stuff of? I have aftermarket exhaust, windshield and seat. The stock versions of these items are lying around in SF. So if I can somehow the logistic issue, I could just put everything back to stock condition and sell those parts.
  20. holckster

holckster dougholck

Oddometer:
    No tow till Monday???
    That's unacceptable.
    I see someone has posted a local tow service so call them and see if they can recover ASAP, then have them call your insurance company and work it out.