Garmin 60 CSx

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Oz and Kiwi Land' started by KatoomDownUnder, Jun 10, 2009.

1. KatoomDownUnder

KatoomDownUnder Safer off a horse than on

Oddometer:
    After checking with the minister of finance I've decidied to splurge on a new GPS, the old Garmin 12 is getting a bit long in the tooth :D
    The Garmin 60 CSx is what I'm after but what I'm interested in is where to get the best deal in Sydney and what software would love turn by turn plus topo.
    Cheers
    Pete
  2. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Ask Burnie about pricing, he works for good folks.

The new garmin topo for Aus also does autorouting (turn-by-turn) so you can get away with a single package, this can be supplemented by free downloads of shonkymaps and Tracks4Australia. T4A has the advantage of retaining detail when you zoom out, very handy for the "big picture" when out in the boonies.

Latest firmware, 3.90, allows mapsets bigger than 2Gb (still a 2025 map tile limit though) and supports 4Gb micrSD cards too.

I run OzTopo, Shonky and T4A in one mapset I built, to get it under 2025 tiles I just removed some small islands and map tiles of seawater, so I've got 3 map versions covering the whole country - neat! But none of mine autoroute.:cry
  3. KatoomDownUnder

Oddometer:
    Silla, I've been running Shonkey and T4A on a mobile phone (the old Nokia 6110) with Garmin XT and that has shown some ok rersults but if what you say about the new Garmin topo is anything to go by, then that's gold :thumb
    I know that others have had software problems with Garmin stuff but given that that's pretty much par for the course for all software on all things with a chip I'll take the chance :patch

Ok calling Burnie to the stage :thumb
  4. rosscoact

rosscoact need constant supervision

Oddometer:
    Before the big sheila gets here let me say that GPSOZ have absolutely superb customer service and generally very good prices too. The kniowledge data base that is at your fingertips if you buy from them is worth a great deal. They also have courses for those of us who are not gifted in this area
  5. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    An thoze thatt carnt spel.:evil

Seriously Rossco is right (for once:lol3).
  6. KatoomDownUnder

Oddometer:
    Got it and TOPO Australia. Software looks ok so far