Dickin Around in Doug's Garage

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by rtwdoug, Oct 16, 2009.

1. RogerMason

RogerMason Adventurer

Oddometer:
    poly is a lady of few words.. good on ya....

Roger
  2. rtwdoug

rtwdoug prominent underachiever Supporter

Oddometer:
    was a bit cold here today. Poly still refuses to ride in the sidecar with me.

Yeah, its not an old bike, but it sure is fun with the hack!

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G8LSBsy_Nd4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G8LSBsy_Nd4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
  3. BeachGuy

BeachGuy Lost in paradise!

Oddometer:
    Doug, we have the white stuff just like you. However its call Beach Sand.

BeachGuy, cold in Orange Beach, AL

ROLL TIDE! 24 to 6 at halftime. I love it.
  4. eldomike

eldomike Who Cares Supporter

Oddometer:
    I told you she was too smart for you :D
  5. RobbieO

RobbieO Muskokatard

Oddometer:
    Make donuts...........:lol3
  6. Yellow Iron

Yellow Iron Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did some dickin around today too
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OVT3VzTzmnE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OVT3VzTzmnE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
  7. UncleDirt

UncleDirt Uncivil to idiots.

Oddometer:
    :clap Very nice Yellow Iron! And the production value was great too!
  8. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    I think Trixie wanted to ride along also!

our little bit of snow didnt last very long, maybe next time we'll get a couple inches. but we only get snow every couple of years, usually

Doug
  9. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    Aint been gettin much done in the shop lately, took a trip up nawth to yankeeland for about 10-11 days to hit some swapmeets & pick up/deliver a few bikes.
    One of the towns I had to go to was Beaver Falls, PA, to deliver a bike.
    My '28 Indian was the Beaver Falls police bike from 28 until the late 30's. The guy I got it from had bought it from the city in the 50's (I got it about 11 years ago) When I got it, he told me there was a pic of the bike in a local history book, so this time I went to the library to look for it. Poly & I looked thru all the local books, but had no luck. They had a small local museum in the basement, so we went down there & talked to a really nice older lady. She really knew her shit, within 10 minutes she had an old newspaper with a story on the history of the BF police. At the bottom, theres a cop, sitting on my bike!
    [​IMG]
    Theres mention of a bank robbery in BF, supposedly commited by the Pretty Boy Floyd gang, and the failed pursuit afterwards.
    It didnt say, but I wonder if my bike was in the chase with the gangsters? How cool would that be?
    then the lady tells me about her cousin, whose husband died about 6 years ago, & he had an old Indian. Her cousin had talked about selling it, but she grabbed the fone and called to ask, & see if it was available.
    It was a 44 Chief, & she sold it 2 weeks ago! :cry
    2 WEEKS! I almost cried.

rest of the trip was ok, no snow or ice, which was good. We went across PA to NJ & NYC, then south.
    I made a deal with a friend in CT a couple months ago on a bike, so we met up at a swapmeet in PA & I got it from him.
    Yeah, its a damn BMW, but I sure like these /2's & have missed my R69S ever since I sold it a few years ago to help finance my 1st RTW trip.
    I think this one is pretty cool tho, its a '65
    [​IMG]

Poly & I went riding a little today, down some gravel roads by the river. Maybe I'll build a R69GS outta it? Could it handle the Road of Bones? hmm...
    [​IMG]
  10. bgoodsoil

bgoodsoil Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer:
    heck, you're used to no suspension. Having a crappy suspension must feel like a dream!

damn snobby BMW owners. Ya know I don't think they make an Aerostitch suit with a rebel flag on it. You might have to get that special ordered.

btw, that's a great story about beaver falls. Finding an old pic of that bike decades later...you couldn't even make up a better story than that
  11. Bloodweiser

Bloodweiser honestly

Oddometer:
    polly had a droppy with her sportie?
  12. Hawk Medicine

Hawk Medicine Coyote's Brother

Oddometer:
    Gosh Doug, thanks for saying that, because after following your exploits for a while, I was absolutely sure that you were a militant lesbian, and maybe a long-haired type skinhead one at that!

Well, well... Now that we can be friends, I need to borrow some tools. Preferably Snap-on. Oh, and can I borrow a bike? Mine is down for some repairs.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  13. Motoranch

Motoranch Trail Boss

Oddometer:
    Hi Doug, I talked to you breifly at the swap meet in York PA. good to meet you after following your adverntures here. I'm am picking up a 1968 or 1969 R69s from a friend of my dad's in a few weeks its complete but been in indoor storage for about 23 yrs can't wait to get started on it my first Beemer. I'm thinking I should clean the slingers before I try to start it after sitting so long do you have any thoughts on that? Take care and ride safe!
  14. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    Howdy!
    my opinions on slingers sends the BMW crowd into a fit of howls like a stuck pig.
    My '63 had been sitting since 79, one piston was stuck. I pulled the jug, honed the cyl, stuck it back together & rode the crap outta it for about 7 years, while pullin a sidecar. Never had a problem. I just changed the oil sorta regular (not as regular as I should have, Im sure)
    To me, pullin the whole motor apart just to clean something seemed like too much work. I figured I'd just ride it, if I spun a bearing, then I'd rebuild it.
    The same will happen to this one.
    If you want to be on the safe side, drop the oil pan & flush it out real good.

Doug
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  15. UncleDirt

UncleDirt Uncivil to idiots.

Oddometer:
    Doug,
    So, I'm cornfused. Still have the Indian above, and if so, is it 12 volt now? I have a '60's something spin up siren for your bike if you want it! But it's 12 volt.
    Dave

p.s. wrenching myself. broke the subframe bolts. yeah.
    [​IMG]
  16. wirewrkr

wirewrkr the thread-killer

Oddometer:
    Gotta agree with Doug on this one.
    Ride it till it pukes.
    You'll be on it for while.
    Just change the oil fairly often.
  17. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    well, I finally got some shop time in. I got the shovelhead all torn down, & will cut the frame & add a rigid rear next week, then start building it. I have to finish it in 4 weeks so I can ship it in a container to germany from daytona. nothin like a rush job, huh?

After that, I figured I needed to freshen up the panhead, after 26k miles RTW it was a bit tired, & was leakin pretty good. plus the distributor is completely worn out, & I have to pull the front head to replace that.

hard to believe that this stuff was all chrome before the trip. theres grease & gunk in every nook n cranny

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the bores look really good, I was expecting alot more wear on them

[​IMG]

well, I found out why the rear exhaust clamp would never tighten up enough to get rid of that pesky exhaust leak.....

[​IMG]
  18. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    'Shifter dood' is weathering nicely, Doug.:D

:lurk
  19. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    Yeah, old Lenin held up nicely.
    Im trying to figure out what shift knob I wanna put on the shovel for this year. I thought since Im going to the mid-east, a muhammed head would be nice, but Ive never seen a muhammed statue I could decapitate.

Doug
  20. gelandestrasse

gelandestrasse Fidem Scit

Oddometer:
    Depending on where you travel, possessing a statue or bust of Islam's prophet Muhammad could get you decapitated. :grim

How about this Muhammad?
    [​IMG]