Richmond Va chatter

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by mikeinrichmond, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    Already scheduled to attend a rally up in PA, else I'd be there.

Durn! :cry

2. btblueskies

btblueskies BTBlueSkies

Oddometer:
    You are correct on all those points, but it not quite so fragile.

I purchased a set of printed plastic parts that were made on a similar printer. The layers are thin, and I noticed they tend to break under load along layers.

The breakage I have seen so far is when I tighten the bolts a bit too snug.

When it comes to modeling, there are quite a few programs that you can use freely. A google search will show many. I have been using OpenSCAD and Autodesk 123D; both are free with different advantages. I will be checking out more though... still looking for the right one for me.

I am going to use this printer to make a flatbed XYZ router. I plan to use a dremmel for the cutting tool. I plan to cut wood and plastic with it for yet other projects.

I should have the printer working by middle of June... excited :)

There are quite a few printing technologies.. that UV stuff is nice... but expensive.
  3. bastardbiker

bastardbiker Lost in the Void

Oddometer:
    Yeah the printers that use lasers are definitely more precise too. Here's a cool and simple demonstration of the basic principles for those having trouble visualizing.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8ehlWYfdS70" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And yes, the plastics used may not be the most solid, but people are working with new material all the time. Extruded nylon seems pretty promising... But like I was saying, I'd use it for a mold and make fiberglass or carbon fiber fairings by hand using the mold in my business fantasy. :lol3
  4. DirtDoctor

DirtDoctor Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in for a buck a bridge. That cancer is badd stuff! :huh
  5. Dirtmonkey8

Dirtmonkey8 VA is for Riders

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here is the Report from tire companies about using Dyna Balancing Beads.

DUNLOP..."Dyna Beads WILL VOID the tire warranty". "Over time, beads will break down the inner liner of the tire."

MICHELIN..."They will not void the warranty, however, Michelin does not endorse nor condemn their use. We do prefer spin balancing with weights."

AVON..."We have not seen any issues from using the beads. We just prefer nothing in or on the tires that includes, cleaners, Slime, Nitrogen, Sidewall treatments or Armor All as it does cause cracking."

METZELER/PIRELLI...Using beads WILL VOID the tire Warranty. The only support medium allowed for the inside of our tires are compressed air or Nitrogen."

DR 650

I had an eamil about getting a free tube and rim strip with tire purchase and figured I wold check price and selection. I ran across this Dyna Bead Report and thought you guys may want to see it.
  6. Defaultgateway

Defaultgateway Adventurer

Oddometer:
    j-
    recently I have been making prototype molds for ductile iron/cast iron foundry molds using RP (rapid prototype) technology and pouring the molds here in Richmond. I model the part or modify the parts in one of several solid moldeling programs. Then the part is "subtracted" from a suitable size block creating a void in the block that exactly replicating the model, but scaled up about 2% bigger than the real part to allow for shrinkage. The rp machine uses sand and a urethane binder to make the mold, that's good because the metal temperature is between 1400 and 1900 deg. F !
  7. DrGo

DrGo Wander, where I am

Oddometer:
    Hurray! Sold my HD Ultra today. :clap

The search continues. I sat on an honda st1300, and didn't like it. Same with an fjr. Nice bikes, I just don't fit them. Also sat on a few BMW 1600 gtl, and while it may be in my future, just not working for me right now. I sat on some K bikes and same reaction.

I saw a 2006 BMW 1200 RT that I liked. Any maintenance or other issues to be aware with this bike? Two issues that I've seen discussed are (1) "whizzy" servo brakes and (2) the dreaded final drive. I am also looking at a 2008 model ($$ more) and of course the new model ($$$$). I might take a test ride on a few 1200RT models in the next few days, so please let me know what issues to be aware of.

BTW- drove the f800gs back from Pennsylvania with the scott's steering stabilizer installed. MUCH improved, especially over 70mph and in rapid accelerations (60 to something faster). :D

Thanks for your help!
  8. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I assume with the binder, the mold is still single use like most sand casts? I'll admit Btb got me pretty interested in the 3d printers and whatnot by posting that link. I remember doing some plastic welding with ABS as part of a welding class in college and thinking that it was really cool. I hadn't considered being able to work with thermo plastics like that before.
  9. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess I've fallen prey to farklitis on my dl650. I have barkbusters for it on the way in the mail and then last night ordered a fork brace and peg lowering kit. Last night was really caused by reading another thread about do ergos and discovering there was a fairly cheap peg lowering solution. It just happens the same vendor makes a fork brace and well, I've read lots of reviews of them and everyone says they make a bit a difference on the DL so I went ahead and bit the bullet. You would think 4 years after buying the bike I wouldn't be buying too many new odds and ends. I'm thinking with these few things, there just isn't much left to do to it but tires oil and gas.
  10. biker128pedal

biker128pedal Super Lurker

Oddometer:
    There is plenty left to do. How many wind shields do you have? :lol3
  11. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shhhh, I'm one of those deviants that didn't buy 10 windshields or a madstad. I only have one windshield and it is covered in bug guts.:wink:
  12. biker128pedal

Oddometer:
    I only have four but no Mastadt. You must at least have one tall for winter and a short sport for hot summer. I would post pictures but only have a 1X phone data connection.
  13. REAPER_ONE

REAPER_ONE YOU'RE DONE

Oddometer:
    Thanks buddy. I will make you proud... And hopefully see some road you haven't ridden through.
  14. biker128pedal

Oddometer:
    Aimless plug for a friend shop in the Lanexa area off Forge Road. They are having an open house this Saturday. Dogs and Burgers. I know they do motorcycle inspections, have a NoMar tire changer and do custom work. I put their Facebook link below. A few guys opened a shop with their passion. If I can get away Saturday I plan to stop by for a look. Tell Robert, Mike said hello.

White Oak Customs
    7635 White Oak Drive
    Lanexa, VA

The address is correct but I am told you have to drive down past the house to the shop around back. They have all their permits. They can get whatever you need.

https://www.facebook.com/WhiteOakCustoms
  15. burtonrider3889

burtonrider3889 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just posting this up again. Not tomorrow, but next Friday I will be heading to the mountains to ride. I will be camping for a bachelor weekend with friends, but will probably ride from Friday morning till the afternoon before I head to meet up with them. If anyone would like to ride out together and hit some of the dirt out there let me know. We will just need to branch off sometime in the afternoon. I will be on the WR, obviously.
  16. btblueskies

btblueskies BTBlueSkies

Oddometer:
    This is some serious nice weather today.... I think this work ethic's stuff is over rated... at least I can look out the window... :(

However, lunch time rides around the river rock, especially if ya take a bit longer lunch than normal :evil
  17. manganos

manganos Let me pontificate.

Oddometer:
    I spy guy on 895
  18. burtonrider3889

burtonrider3889 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got all my gear in for next weekend. I'm happy with how small it all packs. If the sleeping bag had a true compression sack it would pack even smaller.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  19. bastardbiker

bastardbiker Lost in the Void

Oddometer:
    Great weather for camping lately. Enjoy yourself and be safe! Sorry I can't join ya!
  20. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL!

Caught in the act.

Ran over to Ken's to get the KLR inspected. Noticed this morning that it expired at the end of last month. Figured I'd get it done when I had a chance.