2013 bmw f800gt

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by eakins, Nov 13, 2012.

1. KungPaoDog

KungPaoDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the way phOrk thinks. He doesn't care. And his avatar is pretty 8-bit awesome.
  2. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Of course not, but every single one of us can give you a detailed
    review if you wish! That's the pow'a of the Internetz!

:deal
  3. Krickett

Krickett n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes I've had mine since March. Bad weather in MN has only allowed me a few hundred miles on her yet but going on a long trip this weekend. So far I'm impressed with the upgrades over my 07 ST and I'm happy with it.
  4. hyena

hyena Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same here. I test rode an ST 3 times. I love that bike. But at 6'2" it just doesn't fit me very well.
  5. univibe88

univibe88 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My K12GT was in the shop for routine maintenance last week and the dealer gave me an F800GT for the day.

It's not a fair comparison, but I ride my K12GT every day so I can't help but to compare them.

The F800GT is just not for me. The suspension is jarring. I don't like the motor at all (and I didn't like it on the R or the GS either.) The rear brakes are really mushy.

I wish BMW would stop messing around with the platform and just cut the K16 in half and make the best triple in the world.
  6. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did an hour-and-change test ride the other day on one. I'm 5'9" and found it cramped. But I also have an F800GS and an R1150RT (and a 250 dual-sport), which have tons more legroom, and that probably added to the cramped feeling on the GT. The engine feels 'familiar', yet a bit different than the F800GS. Different gearing, a touch more power. I could not for the life of me get the mirrors adjusted so that I could see directly behind me (as in maybe 25-50 meters back). The bikes behind me were essentially invisible, and I'm definitely not a large person. I'd been considering trading the RT on one, won't be doing that.

The R1200R I also test-rode, on the other hand ...
  7. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    A lot of it boils down to seating position and posture. The GT is a bit too 'sporty' for my poor old knees, which felt like they were up around my ears. Forward lean was no big deal (my back and abs still work just fine), but the legroom would be. And the engine characteristics are perhaps a bit too similar to my F800GS.

The R1200R has more power (20hp more if you believe BMW), and it's only 14kg heavier. That's quite noticeable, and even at my advanced age of 60-something, I still have a bit of hooligan left in me. I think I also like the simplicity of the naked standard a lot more. Remember that I also have an older RT, with lots of technology to fail and plastics to scratch.

The R12R had both ESA and ESC. It was hard to tell the difference between Comfort and Sport, although there was some (and there's Normal in between). I suppose traction control might be useful, but my right hand has had 45+ years of idiot-proofing. I tried, successfully, to spin the rear at about 70 km/h in 3rd gear, in the rain. No drama. Tried the same with the ESC engaged (which you can do on the fly) and it just 'chugged', for lack of a better word. So I guess it works, but if I was buying one, I'd probably do without. The dealer told me it was the 'old version', whatever that is. The GT only had ESA, and again it was difficult to tell the differences between modes; it seemed pretty non-plush in all modes, even harsher in Sport. Couldn't spin up the rear, but it was drier when I rode it. I'm one of those guys that gets the suspension where he wants it, and then leaves it alone, save for adding preload when carrying more weight, so I wouldn't bother with ESA either.

There is quite a difference in mileage numbers between the two, but when I travel where gas might be an issue, I'd be on the F800GS and carrying an extra 6-8 liters, so that's really a non-issue for me (and the 1200 has a bigger tank). The GT has the familiar parallel twin buzz, and the R12R has the familiar side-to-side boxer throb at idle. At 130 km/h the R12R feels smoother. Below that it was a wash.

Panniers are optional on both. The GT windshield worked very well for me, zero buffeting, but that's often subjective. The R12R didn't have one. If I bought one of those, I might add a small Wunderlich fairing, but I'd ride it long-distance first to get a feel for how much it needed one. I rode my 250 dualsport last weekend for probably 800 km, more than half at highway speeds, and didn't mind the lack of a windshield. Standard seat on both, I'd probably get the Comfort seat on either one. They both seemed short to me, but I ride tall dualsports, so it just seemed odd to have both feet flat on the ground at stops, with my knees bent :lol3

And there's the undefinables. I just plain liked the R12R better. I could probably happily ride long-distance at high speed on both, but I might not be able to walk for a while after getting off the GT at the end of the day :deal
  8. Axiom2000

Axiom2000 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am 67 and having some issues with arthritis. I have had an R1200RT for 6 years now and love it but it may be bigger and heavier than I can handle now. My long distance touring days are over. I am going to take a look at an F 800 GT next week to see if it will fit. My guess is, it needs a bigger screen, lower pegs and bar backs, we shall see. Actually looking forward to riding one.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Jerry
  9. PrairieMan

PrairieMan Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had my 2013 F800GT since June 7th. Due to a busy work schedule, I've only put on about 1,400 miles so far. Before buying, I read a lot of the reviews on-line. I think they are accurate with their high ratings. So far, I don't have anything negative to say about this model. I bought this bike because it fits my 5'-9" frame quite well. The riding position has a slight forward lean to it, but not too much. Not much pressure on my hands or wrists when going down the road. The engine, with 90 HP, is more than adequate for my needs. I wasn't looking for the 145 HP I had on an '06 Yamaha FJR1300A that I rode from '06-'08. The fuel economy with this 800 is amazing. At first, I was afraid of the small 4 gallon gas tank. 200 miles is easily achieved even fighting winds with a cruising speed of 75+ mph. I really have to push it to get below 40 mpg. 50+ mpg is very common. With a slight to no tail wind, 60 mpg is not unusual at 70-75 mph.

I'm not much of a suspension analyst, but the front and rear seem to soak up the bumps just fine. I'll need to go to western SD in the Black Hills to give the ESA a try. I don't have any roads close by to feel a difference between the three ESA modes.

I also haven't driven any gravel or slick spots to test out the traction control. I have squeezed the brakes pretty hard. The ABS works as it should.

I miss two things on this bike: a helmet lock and the individual right and left turn signal switches that i had on my GS. So far, I have added my Garmin GPS, a throttle rocker and a BMW tank bag ($350). I probably won't be buying the pair of factory hard bags for the rear or a trunk. When I have an overnight trip, I bungee down a waterproof bag over the small rack and passenger seat.

I really like the belt drive. It's super quiet. Nothing else to say at this time.

That's it for now. If anybody has questions, I'll answer them. Pictures will be on my next post.

PrairieMan
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  10. ZONKR

ZONKR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just picked up an Orange one on Saturday and it has a helmet lock under the seat. I did 200 miles on Sunday and the only gripe I could come up with is the engine heat aimed right at my crotch. When I was researching the buy I think I only remember one mention of that issue. I love the way it rides and it's easier to handle than my GS because of the size and weight. It came with everything on it and I'm still playing with the features on the computer. I got the tank bag, side cases and top box and it looks like that will handle all the stuff I usually take on a trip. Looking forward to many happy miles.:D
  11. Skitch

Skitch Riding the range

Oddometer:
    Anyone see any comparisons of it to the Honda Interceptor? I have to think that dollar for dollar, a left over Interceptor might be a better value.
    But to be honest, I really like the looks of this new BMW.
  12. PrairieMan

Oddometer:
    Congrats on your purchase. Yes, there is a little bit of engine heat blast. I think it's more noticeable on the left side. But, it's not too bad. I think it handles well, too. Thanks for pointing out the helmet lock under the seat. Interesting placement. What do you think about the purr of the engine and exhaust note when you fire it up?
  13. PrairieMan

Oddometer:
    I looked at an Interceptor last year. It looks like a mighty fine machine. Perhaps a little more sport than tourer. Bang for buck compared to the F800GT? Time will tell. After sitting on both machines, the GT fit me better.
  14. ZONKR

ZONKR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PrairieMan
    I love the sound of the engine and that was one of the things some people didn't like. It's kind of a snarl. Others also mentioned too much vibration in the bars and pegs at highway speed but I don't find that a problem. It's more of a mechanical feel than a buzz. It's sure easier to flick around than my GS and since I'm 66 this will probably be my last bike so I'm glad I got one I'm so comfortable with. Riding up to Roosevelt Lake now trying to get the 600 miles on for the first service so I can really start putting on some miles. (if the weather cools off just a tad.)
  15. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    Happy motoring on the new Orange!
    I found the GT to be a very nice bike but the heat simply takes if off the table for me. Here in SW Florida, with temp in the mid 90's and height humidy, it will roast your peanuts, even at modest hwy speeds. :deal

Regards, Paul
  16. ZONKR

ZONKR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey! I just rode 200 miles for breakfast and I'm in Arizona (It's a dry heat). It's not that bad, it only gets to a certain point and stays there and it's only the left side peanuts.:lol3

Max
  17. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've ridden in that "dry heat" fron Tucson to Mesa mid-afternoon, when it was 113. Had a H-D Road King at the time. Stupid me! :eek1

Regards, Paul
  18. PrairieMan

Oddometer:
    I like the sound of this 800GT (and most machines that burn gas). I wonder what the aftermarket pipe sounds like? Vibration on the GT. During my first 500 or so miles, I thought it was a little buzzy over 75 mph. However, with 1,400 miles on it, I now think differently about the buzz and the sources of vibration. Less buzz perhaps, but I don't think it's all about the engine. I thought my '06 FJR was very smooth up to about 85 mph, but after that, I think more of the road transferred through the machine. Perhaps this is similar with the GT. Yes, this bike can easily be maneuvered compared to the 1200GS, a very nice machine by the way. Enjoy your ride.
  19. PrairieMan

Oddometer:
    Fellas,

I road a couple hundred miles in 90-94 F with 90%+ humidity last week. Yep, there is a little heat coming off the left side between my knee and main zipper. So, I rode with my left leg sticking out a little bit. I did enjoy this heat on a 60F morning a few weeks ago. There's always a little give and take. Speaking of engine heat. I was very impressed with the electric fan(s) on the radiator. My temp gauge hasn't gone above 3-4 bars in hot weather. I haven't sat in traffic very long to see it it will get hotter. Any experience?

PrairieMan
  20. PrairieMan

Oddometer:
    Roadscum,

You are one tough guy riding in 113. The hottest weather I've ridden in is upper 90's with some humidity. I thought it was like riding in a furnace. That was on my '01 1150GS. Of course, it liked the ride.

PrairieMan