DRZ400e Kickstand Question

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Beagle001, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Beagle001

Beagle001 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys,
    Noob guy here. Have a kickstand issue I cannot figure out. I will try to keep it short.

Last week in the mud, laid down my DRZ400e and when I picked it back up, noticed the kickstand was loose now and the little nub the spring attaches to was broken and the spring was laying in the grass. I picked up the spring, put it in my pocket and we attached bailing wire to the kickstand to keep it up and limped home.

Upon further inspection, I feel like there must be more than this one spring missing. It's short and has almost no stretch capabilities. My Buddy's 400s has another longer spring inside of his spring. I wonder if I left another spring on the ground out in the middle of nowhere?

So a guy in the flea market here is being a hero and sending me a DRZ kickstand he has laying around but he doesn't have any springs. Even on Ebay, they sell the kickstand sans spring. What's the deal with these things? I'm wondering if maybe I do have the correct spring and am just too nooby to know it? Maybe there is some hydraulic tool that stretches it out when you attach it?

Does anyone have any DRZ400 kickstand expertise that can help me? I'm lost.

Sorry if that does't make any sense.

Trying to add a pic of the spring I do have next to a Bic lighter for scale. Is this all I need?

[​IMG]

Thanks for any help!
  2. WayneJ

WayneJ What?

Oddometer:
    It looks like someone has replaced the stock spring with the one you have. That is probably why the attachment point broke, it's too tight.

I think the stands on the E & S are the same. Here's a photo of the springs on my S. Notice how long the ends are.
    [​IMG]

I don't know what year you have but look at #2 &#3 on this parts diagram for a 2001 E. They look just like mine. You can order them from Ron Ayers. A little over $9 + shipping.

You'll usually get faster answers to your DR-Z questions in this thread:
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227340
  3. Beagle001

Beagle001 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Wayne, :clap
    That's exactly what I needed to know and it confirms my thoughts on it. I was wishing I could just see another DRZe kickstand and you posted a pick. Really helpful! Thanks so much for taking the time to post that pic and all of that info!!

Parts are ordered and now I will find out how hard it is to install. My tool kit consists of a wrench and protractor from middle school!

Beagle
  4. bensgone

bensgone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beagle, do yourself a big favor and order case savers and put them on now. Look at the marks on your left case from the last crash. More often than not a left side crash will push the brake lever thru the left case. Grind the little nub point off the back of the lever also. Always use a new crush washer at every oil change or you will break the engine case and do the loctite fixes.total time-two beers.
  5. Beagle001

Beagle001 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bensgone!
    Do you mean the gears or brake lever? My break is on the right.
    Just so happens after reading and lurking these forums, I ordered the case savers 3 days ago as well as radiator guard. I also used nice, fresh crush washers last friday on my first oil change. Basically learned all that by reading what you guys talk about here. Very grateful!

I'm sure I will be posting much more in the near future as I'm noobin out and learning!

Thanks again!
  6. WayneJ

WayneJ What?

Oddometer:
  7. WayneJ

WayneJ What?

Oddometer:
    If you haven't found it yet, look around Thumper Talk's DR-Z forum. There's a lot of knowledgeable FFs there.

I recommend reading the FAQ at the top.
  8. Beagle001

Beagle001 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Wayne and Bensgone!

Very helpful!!!
  9. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    I hope that you have already removed that "safety switch" from your kickstand as well if yours has one. Those things will drive you crazy in a rock garden:eek1. If you are a crasher, the clutch safety switch is also a PIA if it gets broken and bike will not run. Invest in some barkbusters if you crash a lot! Also look at the "free power mod" in the FAQ on TT.
  10. Beagle001

Beagle001 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Guys!

Kickstand is on! Used a tire spring clamp thingy and just stretched out that spring I had on a kickstand a kind soul in the Flea Market sent me. One of my vertebrae might have shot into the ceiling but it's on and works perfectly. Thanks for all the help here!

Also, case savers are settled in, hand guards installed... and the kickstand switch had already been removed by a previous owner.

All is well... till this weekend!:evil

Thanks again!!
  11. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    Bueno..... next time attach the spring first and just use the lever to put in position, and quick slip the bolt in. Easier than trying to stretch the spring:D.
  12. Beagle001

Beagle001 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Doing it the easy, correct way takes all of the fun out of it! Thanks though!