cheap rear brake disc

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by crazybrit, Mar 19, 2012.

1. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    I need a rear brake disc for my spare wheel set.

Anyone know of an attractively priced aftermarket? It's a 2006 950 so it's a non-floater. Couldn't find anything searching here.

For my old 625 SXC spare wheelset I bought one of these on eBay and was pretty happy with it but they don't make a 240mm.

Thanks!
  2. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    Is your old worn? missing? or just bent?
  3. crazybrit

Oddometer:
    It never existed. I got the spare wheel set with the bike. I guess the previous owner swapped the disc over whenever he wanted to use them :freaky

I suppose a decent condition used one would work, always sceptical of used discs though as the last used wheel I bought came with a disc dished like a dinner plate.

And yes, the bike still vibes .... I suppose I should fix that first but buying new shit is easier :lol3
  4. MortimerSickle

Oddometer:
    Oh.

I was going to tell you how easily I straightened mine, but I suppose its absence would complicate the process.
  5. crazybrit

Oddometer:
    Rats, I should have played along, it would have been fun to hear you describe how to straighten mine into existence :lol3 thanks Ken :thumb
  6. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First

Oddometer:
    I straightened mine perty dang easily too, with some PayPal funds to Woodys when I got my (latest) new rim :1drink
  7. uk_mouse

uk_mouse Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. michaelmy

michaelmy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    in the UK all bike engineering sell and make a set in the UK - Greenwick!!! ?
    I am getting a set for my offroad wheels on my ADV
  9. TA-Zappa

TA-Zappa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ohh nevermind didn't look at the pictures... It should be a working solution for a good price.
    /Zappa
  10. crazybrit

Oddometer:
  11. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    I remember hearing that the floating disc from the 990 works for the 950 application and is cheaper than the non-floater. Am I remembering this right? I'll go check pricing...

Retail pricing, the floater is cheaper by about $25. $151 for the floater retail from Munn Racing. If you know anyone who gets the 25% discount they offer, the price is pretty good.
  12. crazybrit

Oddometer:
    Yeah, $14 cheaper. Weird. Thanks!
  13. GHANTCR

GHANTCR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How did you straighten out the disc?
  14. mcmann

mcmann Kid at Heart Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here is a 950SE floater for $104: fits 950A/990A.

http://www.powersportswarehouse.com...gory=Motorcycles&make=KTM&year=2007&fveh=9790

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr id="PartsListHeader"><td class="li" style="width:100px;" valign="top">QUANTITY</td> <td class="li" style="width:40px;" valign="top">REF#</td> <td style="text-align:left;width:286px;" class="li" valign="top"> PART</td> <td class="li" style="width:42px;" valign="top">#REQ</td> <td class="li" style="width:52px;" align="center" valign="top"> RETAIL</td> <td class="li" style="width:82px;" valign="top"> YOUR PRICE</td></tr></tbody></table><table id="PartsList" border="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="whiterow"><td colspan="5" height="4">
    </td></tr> <tr class="whiterow"> <td style="width:100px;" align="center" valign="top"> <input size="2" value="0" name="PART|14088656|60110060000|104.251|BRAKE DISK REAR D=240MM 06" type="text"> </td> <td class="li" style="width:40px;" align="center" valign="top">29</td> <td class="li" style="width:286px;" align="left" valign="top">BRAKE DISK REAR D=240MM 06
    60110060000 </td> <td class="li" style="width:42px;" align="center" valign="top">1</td> <td class="li" style="width:52px;" align="center" valign="top">$157.38</td> <td class="li" style="width:64px;" align="center" valign="top">$104.25</td></tr></tbody></table>
  15. mcmann

mcmann Kid at Heart Supporter

Oddometer:
    With a crescent wrench for a non-floater. Use the caliper gap as a reference. Not sure how to fix a warped floater disc?
  16. SS in Vzla.

SS in Vzla. Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer:
    I've had good luck with Galfer in the past. I've gotten brake discs for my F650 for more than $100 less than the BMW OEM part.

Haven't needed one for the KTM, so don't know if they have one.

Give them a call, their web site is not very good, but they customer service is ok.
    http://www.galferusa.com/contact-galfer/

Good luck!
  17. MortimerSickle

Oddometer:
    My method might sound crude, but it was effective, and apparently accurate.

I found my disc had been bent .040" out of whack, causing the brakes to drag at one point each revolution when spinning the wheel by hand. At first, I thought I would need a new disc, but then figured I had nothing to lose by trying to straighten it instead.

I spun the wheel a few more times, and determined that one spoke of the disc was bent inward, probably a result of being dropped by the shop mounting my previous tire.

I have an 8" long brass drift, which I used to reach from the chain side of the bike, through the wheel spokes and press against the disc by the bent disc spoke. A few careful raps with a hammer brought the disc back into alignment, and where dial indicator had before been showing a .040" deviation, it now shows .002". I decided to stop there, figuring that I would just as likely bend it too far as to get any closer to perfect. I would think that even a new disc might be off one or two thou. anyway.
  18. crazybrit

Oddometer:
    Turns out kandbfab on ebay can make a 240mm. Same as the link in first post. Same $75 price shipped. Was pretty happy with the 220mm rear on my LC4 so I just sent them $75.00 .... will post pic when it gets here.
  19. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    Hey Brit,

I'm looking for kandbfab on ebay and not having any luck. Did you ever have your 240 rear disc made and how did it work out? Can you give me a link for them on ebay or whereever?

Brent

Never mind Brit, found the link in your first post. How'd it work out for you?
  20. crazybrit

Oddometer:
    Heh, I was just replying that link was in first post but you're edit beat me to it.

It's being shipped today. If you can wait a couple days I'll post some pics when it arrives (I have no idea what to expect) but it'll probably be a while longer before i mount it up and can report riding impressions (have to tear into the motor to try and figure out whats causing these 5000rpm vibes). I figure as long as it fits and is correct diameter it'll be fine, I'd be more cautious about a front rotor.