Dual Sport Trailer assembly thread

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by SouthWest Roamer, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Dave4surf

Dave4surf n00b

Oddometer:
    Cheat,....have used Texsport waterproof bags that I picked up from Wallyworld (Walmart) for years. Check their sporting goods section. the largest bag is a bit larger than a military duffel bag; constructed of heavy duty fabric and PVC coated inside and out; and comes with shoulder straps for bacakpacking. Appears they were originallydesigned for canoe camping. Mine have been in use for 7 years without problems and still going strong. ave been used as primary luggage for trips to central america and NE Canada. Also in daily use for carrying my wetsuits. The good news is price: about $23.00 US. Love the idea on the trailer,...does it come with surfboard racks?
  2. Coach

Coach Coach

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Been reading this thread with interest. I too have an interest in off-road motorcycle trailers but for a different reason. I broke my back in a motocross crash three years ago. I've worked my way out of the wheelchair but I'm not strong enough to hold a bike up at a stop. Sooo, I have designed a u-joint style hitch that moves with all three axis of a mototcycle (pitch, yaw and roll). When stopping, roll (tip-over) is stopped by a handlebar switch controlling an electromagnet (similar to a 12volt trailer brake) around the u-joint pivot on the hitch. Sounds complicated but it's not. If anyone is interested I'll post a drawing or two.

Keep up the discussion and pic's, they are great.

Ride Well,
    Coach
  3. orklr

orklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Helloooooooooooooooo :D

How are the trailer trials coming?
  4. klrbaer

klrbaer Tim

Oddometer:
    My trailer is built and now I am working on the hitch as the weather lets me and when I get time away from both my jobs. I don't have a digital camera so pics are not posted. I have to line the trailer sides and put the floor in also. I'll try to bug my wife to bring her camera home from work and take some photos to get on the page.
  5. upminer

upminer n00b

Oddometer:
    goforth likes this.
  6. Whammo

Whammo Nature's toothbrush

Oddometer:
    Whoa, that's pretty ambitious! Way to blaze your own trail.

What's it like pulling with a bike on that thing?
  7. nick_rhinocycles

nick_rhinocycles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    San Francisco, Moto capital of N. America
    This is a really cool thing you are doing, and I have thought of this for my R100GS, for 2-up touring. Get all the weight off my suspension!

To keep tongue weight down you could "center" the wheel in the trailer instead of having it at the rear. Then you just balance the trailer when you load it and your tongue weight should be way down.

The suspension idea is good, but I have a small trailer that holds 2 500lb bikes and it has no suspension. Why do you need it?

All you really need it a sturdy-ass wheel with bearings capable of both the load and speed, and a big enough tire to absorb some bumps.

I would use a motorcycle wheel myself, hell I even got a couple of old CB750 wheels! Come and get em! =-0
    --Nick

8. Desertman

Desertman Seeker

Oddometer:
  9. Danger4u2

Danger4u2 KX500 is Danger4u2 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I installed a hidden receiver hitch on my VTX1800. Then I came up with this bright idea. Looked good on paper, the quad was tooooo heavy. If I had to slam on the brakes in a turn, with all that weight it would jack knife. I did 70mph on the highway and it was scary,
    Danger

[​IMG]
  10. klrbaer

klrbaer Tim

Oddometer:
    Hey, my trailer is on the rode,:D in the testing phase. Today we did about 20 miles with loads from 36 lbs. to 104 lbs. I only had a few bolts come loose from the vibration. Nothing lost. The trailer did a great job of tracking once I tightened the axle nuts and the wheel could not move. I took some pics but they are 35 mm and I need develope them to a disk and then have my wife show me how to put them on the net. I still have work to do on it. wiring for the stoplights and turn signals, mounting bracket for the license plate, then disassemble, prep and paint. I called the DMV and they said that the title and tags will cost $95.00. OUCH:cry But O'WELL I want this thing on the rode. I already had 1 guy ask if he could ride in it, and seeing an opportunity to being sued, I choose not to give him a ride.
    :clap :clap
  11. orklr

orklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some one needs to start producing Cycle Burro's Burito again! :deal :evil
  12. klrbaer

klrbaer Tim

Oddometer:
    I remade my hitch and now I can tighten down the nuts and it controls the wobble. I loaded it down this morning and made my way to work on the 2 lane roads. I didn't have any problems. Tomorrow is another day and when I go home from work we will see how it works.
  13. Danger4u2

Oddometer:
    How was the trip home? Any pic's of your trailer?
  14. klrbaer

klrbaer Tim

Oddometer:
    My trip home was also great. I took the long way and even some gravel. I can't wait to have it 100 % and legal. As far as pics, I don't have a way of getting them on the site. I don't have internet at home so I've to stop at the Libary or use the one at work. They have all these rules you know. I'll keep writing thought.
  15. jerdog53

jerdog53 Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer:

Has no one purchased one of these and has the vendor done anything more with this?

I would like to see some more test results on this. $1400 for this trailer as posted on this thread seems abit steep to me for the little amount of information available on this. Is there any inmates in the area of this vendor that could do a tour and report back?
  16. Mitchamus

Mitchamus I do my own stunts..

Oddometer:
    have you guys seen unigo's??

[​IMG]

not sure how they would go off-road... prolly be great on a dirt-bhan... not sure about a fire-trail.

http://www.uni-go-trailers.com/
  17. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys:

I have a single wheeled trailer which I made to tow behind my KLR. It has a Pacrack rear rack system as the tow bar customized to tow with. The trailer uses an old Honda 90 rear swing arm and suspension. It has a new tire and tube more street than dirt for sure, just for better highway riding. The trailer is made from 3/4" square tubing and mig welded together. The outer skin is Alluminium siliconed and riveted onto the framwork to ensure a water proof seal. It has 2 compartments in it for storage both with water tight hinged covers. It has a rear carrier also to allow you to put even more stuff on the rear if you can't get it all inside.It has rear lights, reflectors, safety chain(to keep the boys in blue happy). It weighs very close to 50lbs, it was 38lbs before I sheeted the outside of it and I haven't weighed it since.
    And the best part of all a ODSC sticker on each side to show support...

I am asking $900 for the whole turn key set-up and I think if you look around at the other trailers available that is a very fair price ....IMHO

I just like making stuff and will be making another one as soon as this one sells to test the market for making these as a semi extra income sort of thing....

http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c241/Willys52/?action=view&current=320-2097_IMG.jpg

http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c241/Willys52/?action=view&current=320-2098_IMG.jpg

http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c241/Willys52/?action=view&current=320-2094_IMG.jpg

http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c241/Willys52/?action=view&current=320-2093_IMG.jpg
  18. Danger4u2

Oddometer:
    Did you say you made a trailer?? All I could see was the good looking chick. :evil You lucky dog, my wife won't touch a bike after my knee injury.
    P.S. The trailer and set up looks good also.
  19. R_W

R_W wannabe

Oddometer:
    THANKS. That just solved one of my design issues. I will build mine to hold two jerry cans in the back straddling the wheel.
  20. stinkfinger

stinkfinger Chickenfat dirtbiker

Oddometer:
    Any updates guys?:ear

Tony