Looking at a 300 EXC

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by sect8dr, Apr 14, 2012.

1. sect8dr

sect8dr ride them all

Oddometer:
    I have bead on an 05 and a 08. Just wondering if there are many significant differences between the two. there would be about a grand or so in price difference between them, lots of extras on both. How reliable is this engine, i would mostly just use it in tight rocky trails. Any overheating issues or can a fan kit be mounted? Any help would be great.
  2. pdxjim

pdxjim Two Stroke Terror

Oddometer:
    I'm also in the market for a 300 xcw or exc.

I don't know much about them, and I plan on making a street legal supermoto outta the one I buy.

Sorry I can't be any help, good luck!
  3. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Didn't they get a major update in 08?

I seem to remember reading they got new frames and engines in 08, so that would be the one to go for.
  4. Shocktower

Shocktower Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey bud whats up
  5. DirtDad

DirtDad Green Chile Guru

Oddometer:
    I own an 05 KTM300EXC. Bought it brand new. I have gone through a bunch of bikes, and that one is still in the
    garage and the bike I ride the most. It has been stone reliable, with very little maintenance. I invested in updgrading
    the suspension, and a gnarly pipe. With the upgraded suspension, I don't feel the need for the newer models yet.
    It handles extremely well, and has plenty of power. The seat height is also a little lower than the 08's, which is good for me being 5'8". I owned a 08 530EXC, and I could not really tell a whole lot of difference between the two. The
    300 was still lighter, and handled better in my opinion.
  6. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    08 has some suspention changes,nothing major.

2009 was the big change year,Estart,and a few other things.

So basicly besides colors and graphics,05 and 08 aren't any different.IMHO:D

They both kickass!:D

If you can find a nice 250XC,there the same bike cept for 50cc's,and when they need a top end,you can throw a 300cc kit on it.Just say'n.
  7. parkerfe

parkerfe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The new e-starts is a simple bolt-on for the older 300s. I just sold my 450EXCR and plan to replace it with a 300XC-W and dual-sport it.
  8. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:

Ah,its a 2 stroke,,they kick pretty easy.:D

Sounds like your doing the right thing.Have you rode a late model 300?
    It'll feel like a BMX bike compared to the 450.:lol3
    I own both 2 and 4 strokes,have for many years.
    I have to say not being a big guy,or in what someone would call shape.The 2 strokes just dont beat the hell out of me,i get alot less worn out,and ride harder for longer.
    I like carry'n my momentum,and playing the gear box.
    My 4 strokes have the bottom end,,but really,dont notice it unless im lazy and not paying attention to what gear im in.But the 300 has a heavy fly wheel and isnt as picky bout gears as say my 200XCW.Which you just gotta mind what gear your in,,shit theres 6 of them to chose from.:lol3
    I do forget about the lack of motor brake on occation with the 2 strokes.But just slam the rear brake,down two gears and hammer down!

[​IMG]
  9. DirtDad

DirtDad Green Chile Guru

Oddometer:
    My 300 is plated. I have taken it on some 100 mile D/S rides that were about 90% dirt. It will cruz along comfortably at 45 mph. 13/50 gearing. I just hate burning up tires on the road. I can ride for literally hundreds
    of miles of dirt roads, just about a mile from my house. :D

Riding my 530, on the same desert single track, and mountain single track, I was alot less fatigued on the 300.
    Was I faster? Hard to tell. The four stroke does make you lazy, seems like you our going slower. Need to be
    a little more on your game with the two stroke. I do miss my 530 for longer more slab oriented D/S rides.

You really need to have about 15 bikes to cover all aspects of riding. :lol3
  10. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4EfyrEFxL0o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You can't play golf with one club.:lol3

Thats my answer to my wife when she asks how many more dirt bikes i need.:wink:

We ride very different terrain,you desert,me,well we got the 3 R's up here in the Northeast,Rocks,Roots,Ruts,sprinkled with mud and slimie rocks.

But still,with a sproket swap,and a couple clicks on the dampner,there isn't much the 300 can't do.

I did a KTM demo last year with a good friend.The whole SX,and XC line up on a MX track for the day.Good time.
    I really wanted to ride the 350XC,just to see if it would make a good enduro bike.
    I have to say,i hated it,2 laps couldn't wait to get off it.Now of course thats just me.A friend with me,[AA]rode it and loved it!In the 350's defence,he pushs alot harder then me,so i would assume the harder you push it the better the bike would be.

Long story short,,,the 300XC,didnt care if you lugged it,or spanked it.It was creamy everywhere,just left it in thrid and throddle modulated.Even with factory settings it didn't pop,fart,lag or even get hot.Huge difference in bikes,,,for me.Everyones different.

Now,i know its not a KTM or even a 300,,,,but this is how you ride a 2 stroke.:lol3
  11. jar944

jar944 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are a year off.

08 was a complete frame change to the 8-11 chassis

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    [​IMG]
  13. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:

What the hell are those black scronchie things on the forks?

:lol3
  14. sect8dr

sect8dr ride them all

Oddometer:
    Now it looks like i am going to end up with a street legal very clean 2003. supposedly all new or checked out bearings not too long ago, looks clean in the pics, cannot pick it up till next friday.
  15. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:

Sweeet!:clap
  16. DirtDad

DirtDad Green Chile Guru

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a nice bike. Hope you get it.

So tell me everytime I go to Rockford IL, I wonder if there is any good places to ride. Dirt Bike.
    My wife is from there so we go there to visit often. Very pretty there, but nothing like the mountains
    out here. :D
  17. sect8dr

sect8dr ride them all

Oddometer:

If you come down a little south i can show you a couple of off road parks that are pretty decent, The badlands in Attica, IN is nice for a day or two ride. Redbird off road park in Dugger, IN is another one that is pretty good. Local to me is one at Mill Creek state park, but it sucks and they have a lot of rules and a couple of wanna be GI Joe county sherrif's on quads that like to screw with you.
  18. DirtDad

DirtDad Green Chile Guru

Oddometer:

Cool. Hmmm, maybe I need to look for a dirtbike in Rockford, to keep at in inlaws. :D
  19. pdxjim

pdxjim Two Stroke Terror

Oddometer:
    me want!!!
  20. wipe-out

wipe-out Been here awhile

Oddometer: