Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Supporter

Oddometer:
    that video popped up on ridetherock today too, I'll have to suffer through the slow internet to check ot out I guess.
  2. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    WOW :eek1

My doG how does he do that ? It's beyond belief that people can do that sort of thing. The thing is though, the tricks he pulls in the vid were all succesful - just think of the spills he has pefecting them :huh
  3. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    well, note the beginning where he blows that fence hop-n-roll several times.

i've watched a guy on one of those 26" stunter bikes practicing a rail-hop where he was riding out on a railroad track rail, coming to a full stop, balancing, then 'hopping' to the other rail(!) doing a 180. he must have tried it 100 times and only pulled it off completely smoothly once or twice. :loco
  4. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome.

Thank doG we have insane people that finally get it right and put it on youtube! :lol3
  5. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    Amen. He also had to learn to do it to music also.....
  6. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:
    that guy was never born, there was a bicycle born and he just happened to be a part on it....:huh :huh

a really high end part:huh
  7. rbrsddn

rbrsddn 3banger

Oddometer:
    What could taking a shower do to possibly remove any banned substance from his system? I know the rules are that he had to remain in view of the tester, but c'mon. This guy had been tested at all hours, and surprise tested many times. The end result has been ZERO positive results. The 7 tours in a row are a huge boil on the Frenchies ass, and they will try anything to get rid of it (Him). I hope he rides and places well, and raises money for the LA foundation. I love the movie quote by Michael Caine that goes " There are two thing's I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other peoples cultures. And the French!!!:D
  8. Oznerol

Oznerol Motion Enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm probably up to a half-dozen viewings since the first time I saw it linked someplace yesterday. Usually this sort of urban stunt riding doesn't do much for me -- I like cycling as a reason and means to get *out* of the city. But this was really beautiful.
  9. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Check yer PMs in a bit.

Just got back from a drunkfest 3000 in Rocky Point, MEX. LOTS of :1drink from Thurs to Sun PM. Lemme check into hashes in yer neck o the woods online and I'll get back to ya. Worst case, google hash house harriers +your closest major city.

Hashing, while it *involves* running isn't *about* the running. Be careful. I started hashing at about 170 and I'm up to about 195 now. :eek1

M
  10. sixer

sixer I suffer from Ainrofilac

Oddometer:
    Gummee,

Sounds like you had a great time. Me and my SO went riding the other day. It's finally been nice. Upper 70's with light wind. We decided to try one of the advanced trails. :eek1 It was not a trail just a rock garden with catus thrown in. I ate it a few times, including falling onto a big catus. :lol3
  11. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    It was a great time. :nod Glad to be back in the US.

Slept thru my sales meeting today tho. :eek1 First appt at 1400, so figgered on goofing off this AM.

Its been HOT the last few days FWI've heard. :nod Gonna hafta start getting up in the AM. :bluduh

M
  12. toolfan

toolfan Broken Hearted

Oddometer:
    Need some pedal advice.

Last year, I bought a used surly instigator. It's a little small for me, (it's a medium, I probably should have a large) but I bought it purely for goofing off - finally learning to control a wheelie, riding onto and off the benchs and picnic tables at the park, maybe some trails if I ever get back into shape.

[​IMG]

I think it outweighs me, but it's perfect for my stated purpose.

I don't know what kind of pedals to put on it though. I'm a fan of clipless, but this should get some platform jobs, I think.

Is something like this worth looking at?

[​IMG]
  13. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Personally I like both the Time and Crank Bros stuff. Very similar in action, weight, etc. Cleats aren't interchangeable IIRC

Remember: you WILL fall. Prolly at a stop when leaning the wrong way. DAMHIK how embarrassing this can be when you do it at a stoplight. :baldy

M
  14. toolfan

toolfan Broken Hearted

Oddometer:
    I've run clipless for a while. Look on road bikes and SPD on mtn, but I want to try out the platform combos... but I don't know if they suck or not.

(I rode a bike with a first generation set of shimano combos a long time ago, I remember it being sort of tough to clip in with the meaty frame around the pedal.)
  15. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    SPDs and Crank Bros are different aminals. :nod

Give em a try (ebay's yer friend...)

M
  16. DoctorIt

DoctorIt vrooom!

Oddometer:
    No.

If you bought it for "just messing around", buy a $15 pair of chunky platforms and learn to do things right (that and probably safer at the same time). Pocket the other $100 you would have spent on those "freeride/downhiller" pedals and buy food for the week.
    :D
  17. Uncle Pollo

Uncle Pollo Bad Hombre

Oddometer:
    Rode 20 miles with GSdude.

He is ready for clipless
  18. jerdog53

jerdog53 Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer:
    What the hell are clipless? As in no clips?
  19. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    as opposed to vintage 'toe clips', which were the cages with the straps we all used in the 60s/70s,
    [​IMG]

clipless are pedals that your shoe 'snaps' into, using a small cleat.

Shimano SPD:
    [​IMG]

Time:
    [​IMG]

Speedplay:
    [​IMG]

Look:
    [​IMG]

Crank Bros' Eggbeaters:
    [​IMG]

there's probably more. and some of htese come in a platform hybrid where there's a 'regular' pedal surrounding the clip, the theory is you can use regular shoes OR cleated shoes. each of these pedal types requires a different cleat.
  20. jerdog53

jerdog53 Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer:
    Right those are what you have when your clipped in, what are clipless?

I dont know am I being dense? i thought any time you had peddles that would conect your shoe those were toe clips? I thought toe cages were just toe cages, so you were eather clipped in or there was no mechanism to attach your shoe to, a flat peddle.