byebye r90/6

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Buffel, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Buffel

Buffel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had to sell my beloved r90/6 in nurburg green, the buyer told me he was going to paint it black and make a cafe racer out of it, she was in perfect original condition with only 30000km on the clock :cry
  2. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    Money crisis or not, I would have not sold to that buyer. If you gotta sell, find a good home for your babies.
    Sad stories make me sad :(
  3. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    There are plenty more around. You can have another one some day. Where as I don't like the idea of painting an original color bike I realize that in the scope of things it is really OK also. Painting might be bad enough but the Cafe part is likely to be worse.
  4. mepilot

mepilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree, I want a cafe racer but would never ruin a good clean bike to do it.
  5. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    Damn, and that green's a good color, too!
  6. Buffel

Buffel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yeah:( saturday i have to drive it to the new owner last ride! But im lucky to have owned the bike im only 19 years old, not many young people get the chance to own such bikes.
  7. R100LT

R100LT Chasing 11

Oddometer:
    I feel your pain
  8. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    some people don't understand the value of factory paint, especially as our bikes get older and older. take the stock body work off, store it someplace safe, and buy some other bodywork to paint and make what ya want. once factory paint is gone, it's gone. I will always believe a bike with nice factory paint will be worth more than a similar one without, at least I would be willing to pay more.
    plus, in 5 years when everyone wants to make their cafe racers into ridable/original bikes, that bodywork will be worth a mint!
    I cafe'd my /6 ten years ago, luckily I didn't do anything that couldn't be reversed. it was fun to ride for a bit, but I couldn't really go anywhere on it, and the novelty wore off after a few years and it now sits in the garage, back to stock, and gets ridden a lot more.
    to each his own though.
  9. rebelpacket

rebelpacket four-stroke earth-saw Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thats my motto. No matter what I do, I always want to be able to put the bike back to stock.

Everyone and their mom is out customizing bikes, or buying customized bikes. I think stock bikes end up fetching better value once the bike is truly considered an "antique".