The Husaberg 70º FE Adventure Traveler Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Lost Roadie, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Cyberg

Cyberg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lost Rider

Nice picture with the Berg on dune it looks like Amargosa dunes.

That place rocks. It is my favorite dune.
  2. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
    Finn, Top notch photos ..as usual . I see your using your supertanker setup now. How many gals is that frt tank again ?
  3. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    the front tank adds 2 gallons....so 4.2 total
  4. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
  5. Mr_Chris

Mr_Chris Get away, evil car!

Oddometer:
    In other words, MERRY CHRISTMAS to all you uber sloper motor berg riders and lusting-after-one-ers. :clap :clap :clap

Chris
    jdubb75 likes this.
  6. BigDuck

BigDuck Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    Well, here's an upsetting Christmas present. This refers to the subframe fuel tanks which have had some issues being built for a while now.

From another forum: (hope it's ok to to this).

Re: 70 degree aux. Fuel tank deliveries

[​IMG]by DaleEO » December 24th, 2012, 9:09 am
    UPDATE: 12-23-12
    I was recently contacted by our current molder after I had emailed inquiring as to when I could pick up the next batch of tanks, and this was the reply I got:

Dale, we have just renewed our product liability insurance and have been notified that we are not covered for products of fuel tanks. Therefore as much as I hate to tell you at this time we can no longer mold your tanks, which is disappointing to us also since Rick has done so much work on your product. Thank You and let me know when you want to schedule to pick up everything or If I can help with anything.

Needless to say this email left me a bit gutted, finally had got them into production and now I feel as though I just got the rug pulled out from under me.

I have already contacted another local molder that makes many of the aftermarket gas tanks for dirt bikes. I will keep you all posted as soon as I hear something.

The Good News:

The small batch of tanks that I did pick up should be enough for the long waiting pre paid customers, and the warranty tanks.

I will keep you posted as soon as I have some news. I am not giving up.
  7. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam

That's awesome cyborg!

And thank you Larry, and cyberg! glad you like... the Husa is still quite photogenic. :wink:

Merry Christmas!

As for the 70º tanks.... thanks for posting.

It took Dale 10 DAYS to return my email about having him do some suspension work on my bike after I contacted him through his suspension tuning website. 10 days... with the excuse that he was out of town. There's email everywhere in the world, and if you're running a business that's booked online.... not acceptable.
    No matter how good folks say he is, there's plenty of talented businesses out there who take their business more seriously.

I for one wouldn't be holding my breath or plan any future upgrades around Dale personally, and IMO nearly $500 for one measly gallon doesn't just make sense to me, but I'm not a racer who needs just a little more fuel to get my trophy.
    While his heart *may* be in the right place, his business practices are far less than impressive. One excuse after another.

Anyone wanting to seriously do some ADV traveling on their Husa can certainly use more than 1 gallon and there's other options from 2 liter soda bottles or MSR bags to the $afari tank that I find most useful. If the 70º tank is ever really available then great...

On my last Death Valley ride I carried an extra gallon in a MSR bag in addition to my Safari to get the 230 miles to the next gas station, for $500 for a tank you can't even get I'm fine with carrying a gallon on my back for an hour or two each time it's needed, but that's just me.
  8. Brian011952

Brian011952 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. Nowwhat

Oddometer:

Don't take it personal he took over a week to get back to me as well....:lol3...during that time my 'Berg's suspension was magically transformed at http://www.madjack-racing.com/
  10. meatsack

meatsack Moto-idiot

Oddometer:
    I'll just leave this right here:
    http://www.stillwellperformance.com/main/

Did the suspension on my FE390 after another tuner didn't quite deliver.
    VERY happy with the results, the customer service, and the turn around time.
  11. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
    Can you guys give an opinion on the build quality & installation process of your Safari front tanks. I tried their website but no info comes up . Just trying to get an idea of whats involved in installing it. Also if there is any problems down the road . How easy is it to remove & go back to stock when not needed ? Thanks , Max
  12. Nowwhat

Oddometer:

The build quality is a 7/10 IMO....The tank however is very functional and tuff....The tank is not a on/off type of system...once you get it installed you are going to want to leave it......

On my new Berg I opted to skip the Safari...
  13. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    and there is the rub on the 70 degree bikes.. pay a huge amount of money for a non existent rear tank for only 1 gallon... or an even bigger amount for the safari tank which by many accounts has questionable quality control and is a PITA to install..plus you have to take the tank off these bikes to do just about anything on it... I had opted for the 70 degree tank and then carrying the extra gallon in a dromedairy or msr bottles strapped on.. but now I dont know.. this latest delay in the sub frame tank may have pushed me to the front safari tank.
  14. Mr_Chris

Oddometer:

I can't remember who or what thread but I was told that once you have the safari tank on, swapping to and from stock is a 10 minute operation. That tells me that taking it off and on should be easy too. Can that person speak up on this thread hopefully? (Sorry for my poor memory and laziness).

Comparing Safari to that debacle rear tank is really unfair to them. They're established and bringing out new stuff all the time. I have no Safari tanks but a friend tested the Tiger 800 XC tank so I've seen it in clay models, then in reality and working, so to me that proves the company is still bringing out new stuff successfully.

Chris
  15. Brian011952

Brian011952 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I must be one of the lucky ones, because that debacled rear tank by 70 Degrees has worked out perfectly for me. I bought it with my bike. The dealer had them in stock, and I've never had an issue with it at all. I'm sorry to see all the problems with getting someone to manufacture them, but they are a great tank that changes nothing about the way your bike feeld or handles. Hopefully, they can find some manufacturer that isn't a total wuss and who will build them despite what a liability lawyer advises. I hate lawyers, they just might be the single most destructive force in our society. Oops, I kind got lost in a little rant there, sorry. Anyway, I'd still like to add a Safari front tank to my bike because I'm often pushing the limits of my fuel even with the two tanks and the two extra two liter bottles of fuel I carry now. The single biggest flaw to the Husaberg is the lack of fuel capacity and the high price of the aftermarket tanks that can fix that problem.
  16. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam

Like anything motorcycle related methinks the Safari installation is quite subjective, what is difficult for some might not be for others. Granted there are reports of some being harder to install than others due to varying tolerances or how the tanks came out of the mold, but for I know they are all exactly the same and it's different people that have varying skills or attitudes towards fitting the tank. Or a little of both. I didn't expect it to be a perfect fit, from all the whining on the UH forum about them I expected it to be much worse than it really was to install it. I like figuring things out though and am not afraid to cut, grind, or bang on things to get the job done, I am a Roadie after all and the show must go on. :evil

Taken from an earlier post of mine:

The Safari tank had a few challenges to get working, partly because buying used from BajaDad it didn't quite come with all the parts needed but with a little phone support from him and a trip to the auto parts store I made it happen. I had to get my own parts to tap into the stock tank, fuel lines, and a T-fitting for the fuel lines. No big deal really once he pointed me in the right direction.
    The main hang up was the metal insert that goes in the top of the oem tank not quite fitting, like was described in the safari install thread on UH forum.
    I ounded the square edges on the insert with a Dremel, greased it up and took a big hammer to force it down in there. It was real tight but in. Next was locking it in place, which took me making a tool from a piece of aluminum stock with 2 bolts and 4 nuts so I could rotate the insert and lock it in.

The rest of the mounts didn't quite all line up and it's best to get the bolts just in and leave them loose until you get them all in first.
    My tank isn't quite center, but it doesn't leak and doesn't get in the way of riding. Maybe it's because it was used, maybe that's just how they are. Don't care though, as I roll by gas stations without stopping with a big smile on my face.

Now, after I had the tank installed I did have to take it off for some work on the motor, basically going back to stock for a quick minute, including removing the metal insert that goes in the top of the OEM tank.
    It wasn't hard to take the tank off, just get a couple of the fuel quick releases like the OEM tank has going to the FI, most BMW dealerships stock them. With fuel line quick releases (something not included with the tank) and a homemade tool to rotate the tank insert I don't see why it couldn't be less than a 10 minute job to install or remove the Safari once you have it going.

6 bolts holding the tank to the frame, then the nut on the insert, disconnect fuel lines and off it goes. I carry the socket and extension needed in my kit and can remove my Safari trail side if need be. Going back to just the stock isn't needed for me, I'll never only want 2 gallons capacity, but getting it off trailside or for maintenance is obviously something that needs to be able to be done and fuel disconnects makes that easier. Should be no problem for someone to go back and forth with the tank if wanted IMO.

One thing I do know is that even though I didn't buy the tank from them, justgastanks.com gave me support and was very helpful when I had questions or thought I might need parts. That alone is worth something when justifying the cost of the tank, knowing you'll have good, immediate support from the vendor….

Hope that helps!

-Finn

[​IMG]
  17. APBlack

APBlack nOOb on a fly

Oddometer:
    You got a response from Dale in 10 days?? I was on the list for a 70 degree tank as I paid for one back in February. It took 6 weeks to get a reply from Dale. Only after I posted the request in the Husaberg forum at another site did I get an answer and I got the same reply that he was out of town.. What a bunch of crap!!!

Taking a closer look at the safari tank now...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
  18. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    I have made my mind up...i will contact Ktmparts.com, who i ordered my tank from and see if they expect to get any of the limited run that Dale got made..I know I was first on their list... if not i will order the Safari tank and go that route

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  19. Mr_Chris

Oddometer:
    Is that the same tank? In other words, if I ordered it would they say something along the lines of "sorry but..."?

It's part # 812.07.904.055.44 in the 2012 catalog. It appears to have an auxilliary fuel pump in the picture, but no description.

Just wanted to find out if this is possibly a viable option or if I missed the start of the story with these tanks (the one that starts with, the berg factory ones aren't good enough because...) :lol3
  20. Mr_Chris

Oddometer:

Hrm, reading that, "ktmparts.com" makes me think the Husaberg is the same one. Bugga.