Second Fan: BDCW vs AdvMachines

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by mixermsk, Jan 12, 2013.

1. mixermsk

mixermsk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I want to install a second fan on my 990 Adv. On the internet I found the options from two manufacturers: BDCW and AdvMachines. Is there a any significant differences?

Thanks
  2. KTMADV

KTMADV Hammer Down

Oddometer:
    Here is what else you could use. I just got a Spal 5.2 pull fan off ebay for $ 50 and installed it. The New Spal fan is the same size as the stock fan on the left side. Its a perfect fit. I like the fan better more air flow then the other two fans plus cheaper. Here is a link of my fan set up.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=837674
  3. Deepc

Deepc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the BDCW aux fan. Easy install. She works like a charm.
  4. Jaimoto

Jaimoto Spaniard in Chile

Oddometer:
    I have the AdvMachines aux fan. Easy install. She works like a charm.
    Too.
    :D
  5. geometrician

geometrician let's keep going...

Oddometer:
    whichever route you go opt for the lower temperature-actuated fan switch (goes into right hand side of radiator)

this helps keep the temps down for sure- fan comes on sooner, but doesn't stay on long as it the engine/cooling system has accumulated less heat to shed. Without the sensor change both fans will run but run much longer, which (assuming you are riding slow/offroad which is where the additional cooling is REALLY needed) will be hard on your battery as the alternator isn't spinning fast enough to keep the voltage up.

I used Ken's AdvMachines kit as that's all there was at the time- and while saving a few bucks is always nice I'd rather give my $ to ADVRider-supporters (both BDCW & AdvMachines) and not somebody out of the loop.

If you do go fleabay then consider donating to ADVRider itself, Baldy is one hell of a guy to have created & hosted this site for us for years & years, all at his expense
  6. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. mikeegee

mikeegee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found replacing the stock temp switch didn't allow the radiator and thermostat to do their jobs, and the fans actually ran longer than when I switch back to stock.

Love the 2 fans though.
  8. zeegman

zeegman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. DuctTape

DuctTape Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They would run longer/sooner since the switch is set at a lower temperature then stock. This is a good thing.
  10. up2nogood

up2nogood Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went BDCW as it came with all wiring and bracketry.

If you're a bit more hands on, the SPAL and cable ties is also a winner.
  11. mikeegee

mikeegee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure why running longer or sooner is a good thing.

If the radiator isn't being given a chance to do its job then I'm just using the fans to do the same work. When given the chance to do its job then the fans runs less frequently and shorter than they used to.

Where the single fan ran for ages sitting in traffic, even on very cool days, the double fans run for a fraction of the time. Since coming back from CJs tech weekend the bars haven't gone to more than 5, even once.
  12. Failo

Failo Is it spring yet???

Oddometer:
    Question for you guys that have installed a second fan: What did you do, if anything, about installing a shroud similar to the left side fan?

I just installed my ADVmachines fan and still have the tanks, etc off. I'm wondering if I need to install some sort of shroud to direct the hot air away from the right tank.

I'm very impressed with the bracket and electrical connectors that came with the ADV fan. The installation could not have been easier (with both tanks off).
  13. Deepc

Deepc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used some quarter inch thick adhesive backed heat shield material I purchased online. So far so good.
  14. pfdskipper

pfdskipper Westside Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    :scratch

15. Xtremjeepn

Xtremjeepn Motorhead!

Oddometer:
    I used the ADVMachines kit simply because I did not know BDCW had one at the time. I wouldn't hesitate to use either.

I did nearly 18,000 miles around the country this last summer and had a couple of overheating issues when running slow on trails. Never had a problem running down the freeway, even in 116* heat. :eek1

So to cure the slow running overheat issue, I rode faster:huh...unfortunately that created other issues so I installed the second fan a and lower thermostat. :lol3 Haven't had another over heating issue. :deal

[​IMG]
  16. up2nogood

up2nogood Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Was thinking about the thermostat. Good idea.

Where'd you get the lower temp one from?
  17. Jaimoto

Jaimoto Spaniard in Chile

Oddometer:
  18. AB13

AB13 Ridge Runner

Oddometer:
    I installed the BDCW kit with a switch so that in cooler temps I don't have the load of the second fan and can use my heated gear without taxing the charging system.
  19. SauceSquatch

SauceSquatch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can also set the temp you want your fan to kick on in TuneECU.
  20. BillyD

BillyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Regardless of which fan switch temperature set-point you chose, high or low, the overall capacity of the cooling system doesn't change.

Said another way, if your engine is getting hot enough to blow coolant with the stock higher set-point switch, then using a lower temperature set-point switch will not, in and by itself, keep you from blowing coolant.

A higher pressure radiator cap would raise the temperature at which you start blowing coolant, but radiator surface area and air flow are still the primary determinants of how many BTUs/second can be removed from the motor. Wetting agents might improve heat transfer efficiency to yield a marginal increase in cooling capacity.

Adding a second fan significantly increases air flow at low bike speeds and, therefore, the effective cooling capacity of the system is also significantly increased when the bike is moving slowly, but switching both fans on at a lower temperature does not increase the maximum rate at which BTUs can be extracted from the engine. Similarly, using a lower temperature thermostat does nothing to increase cooling capacity and your engine oil will take longer to get up to operating temperature. Removing the thermostat altogether might increase coolant flow, which might increase cooling capacity, but then your engine oil would take even longer to come up to temperature.

With all that said, rather than controlling both fans from a single switch, it would make more sense to control one fan with a low temperature set-point switch and the other with a higher temperature switch. Sequencing the fans this way would save electrical power and only run the second fan when needed.

BTW, I'm using the AdvMachines fan kit and had no issues in Fish Canyon/49'er Escape near Ballarat/Death Valley at 100 F plus heat. 1st and 2nd gear in sections.