Canadian riding through España and Morocco

Discussion in 'EMEA' started by jackalsour, Mar 7, 2013.

1. John933

John933 GSX 1400

Oddometer:
    If you are going to do Napoleon in France. This place along the route is a good a place as any to stay over night.

http://goo.gl/maps/M2EJW

I've used it a few time's. Ride down that road and you will see a camp site that do bunk room's as well.
    John933
  2. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
    Most of my experience in Spain has been in Andalucia, Granada, Malaga, Ronda, Algeciras, Jerez, etc... Lots of superfine mountain twisties (on pavement unfortunately) I wouldn't pass up an opportunity to give a number of those a try. If the weather proves warm enough once past Barcelona, La Mancha area south of Madrid has a number of rolling hills covered in olive orchards. South to Cordoba, then southeast towards Granada. My favourites are in a block between Granada, Almeria, Malaga, & Antequera. Top of my list are A4050 to Almunecar (on the coast) & the White Villages east of Lanjaron to Almeria. Also A397, Marbella to Ronda, then A405 to Algeciras & the ferries. Just north of Ronda is a Trogdolyte (cave dwellers) town of Setenil de las Bodegas, not to be missed. Michelin Map Europe was my choice for reading material.

Morocco (Michelin Map #742) has some superb mountain roads, both paved & off piste. From Ceuta or Tanger, I would suggest going east along the coast then south to Chefchaouen & think about N2 through Ketama & south on N8 to Fez. If going this route, DO NOT STOP in Ketama, major drug area - you WILL be hassled even while moving, but awesome roads in & out. Reminded me much of northwest Mexico & Copper Canyon. Ifrane & Azrou are into skiing areas (should be passable, but fresh). South of Azrou, there are backroads to Kenifra or Midelt where you can pick up the road into Todra Gorge. From Tinerhir you can head out to Erg Chebbi, the huge sand dunes, (2~3 days) or go an hour west to the Dades Gorge, & do the switchbacks in Betitou's posting. Going past that a couple of hours will get you through another incredible gorge up to M'smrir. I wouldn't suggest going north of there to Kasba alone, the road is quite rough & you may need help at times. Also, that would prevent you from doing the Tiza-n-Tichka pass to Marrakech. 3 times I've done it & would go again in a heartbeat. You can do a secondary route through Ait Ben Haddhou to connect near the summit though Telouet. Back on the main road just past the summit, there is a pull-over on the downhill side. You can see the road grinding around like a drunken snake below you. Great photo Op. If time permits, you can backtrack from M'Kech southwest though Azni to Tizni-n-test then back to Ouarzazate before picking a route home.

Both countries are fairly large with many small villages & ancient cities that warrant a stop now & then. You would do yourself an injustice whizzing by without a chance to sip a beverage & see the local sights. I have taken 5 visits, concentrating on a smaller area each time. Judge your daily mileage & be flexible in planning to allow this time-out now & then, plus unexpected events. My last 2 visit were unfortunately on 4 wheels, but I can always fall back on memories of riding 2 wheels there in 1970~71

Google Earth is a fantastic tool for examining terrain & routes. Use it to excess!

Check out my photos at: https://fishnbiker.smugmug.com/Travel

More info at:
    www.morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/forum.php

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841901

www.rocinantestravels.com/spain/index.htm
    I'm also on Rocinantes' page on British Columbia http://www.rocinantestravels.com/pan-am/part06/Part06-Montana-BC.htm
  3. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:
  4. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    Thanks John933 and Fishnbiker

I'll be in Spain tomorrow so I'll look over this again before I get to Morocco. It's been a cold few days but it would have been much worse if I wasn't ready to leave ASAP. It snowed in Germany behind me but in the morning it was still 1-3 and wet in France and in the afternoon a much better 7-12 degrees.

I did read most of morocco-knowledgebase.net .... his level 2 off-road routes are exactly what I was looking for, but he basically just posts teasers on there to buy a book that doesn't exist? I think he would have done better to have jump-started a crowd sourced morocco-knowledgebase and profited off the ads instead. I'd buy the book if I have time, but nowadays a thriving forum would be perfect for Morocco

I've read WIBO's Morocco thread you linked before as well and many of his great posts on Spain/Morocco while searching old threads (I've read through most of the recent threads on Spain/Morocco) I still need to find this infamous Michelin Map #742 haha

I'm still missing a decent reliable lists of non-technical scenic off road routes.. but I'll wing it! I've downloaded Chris Scott's waypoints and I've watched some youtube clips of the well-known ones anyways. I can't really do anything technical with a loaded F800 alone, just looking for the quiet "off the beaten path" err ok scenic beaten path routes

Thanks again
  5. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:
  6. Moss

Moss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi from norther coast of Spain,
    If you make up this far you won't be disappointed. I don't know anything about gravel roads as its never been my thing, but if you don't mind a bit of smooth tarmac and never ending mountain passes and valleys you have come to the right place. If there was one place in particular that I would recommend it would be the Picos De Europa, the scenery is fantastic and loads of places to stay and better still - there's no bloody tourist caravans and cars at this time of year.

The coastal roads are worth doing, the further North west (Galicia) you go the better.Lovely little coastal villages built-up on the local fishing industry. The food and wine in this region is second to none. Word of warning, keep away from the coastal roads at the weekends. They tend to be full of local tourists.

If I can be of any help at any time just PM me.
    Good luck on your journey and may the force be with you.
  7. yorkieterrier

yorkieterrier Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If I send you a map over for a route I am planning in Northern Spain would you please give it a look over and see if you think I have missed any good roads out?

Thanks

James
  8. jbar28

jbar28 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would second this, based on one trip through there two years ago. I'm about to start packing to leave on a very similar trip as you. Starting in Bitburg, heading to Spain around Sevilla for a week with my wife (who's flying down and back) then over to Morocco to visit friends living in Ifrane. I should be over in Morocco about April 17-25, then back to Spain and to Germany, hoping it will be spring here by then. Maybe I'll see you on the road someplace! Bright red jacket and riding a silver Wee-Strom with BIT plates.

For a preview of this area, see here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697976&page=2
  9. pip_muenster

pip_muenster curious

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I'm right now somewhere near Algeciras and will probably spend a couple of days in Andalusia before heading north towards Germany. So honk if you see a white beamer coming your way, and we could discuss road conditions over a cup of coffee.

:wave
    Pip

[​IMG]
  10. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    Nice setup there pip!

I'm in Algeciras now.. went to take a look at the port and there were only a few vehicles in line for Tangiers.. maybe because of Easter Friday? I have the white/yellow FITSA form filled out, the motorbike import form and photocopies of my documents. Hope that gets me through relatively easy. I got an open return ticket for €82 to Tangier Med
  11. pip_muenster

pip_muenster curious

Oddometer:
    Thanks. We also went through Algecircas, but I don't remember much of the border procedures. Overall it was quite easy. I'm already in Zaragossa, heading north.

Have fun,

Pip
  12. WIBO

WIBO Will it buff out?

Oddometer:
  13. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    Haha Wibo, I've replied in your thread and I even got Noah's tracks from your trip. I got the E-07's as well

A few days ago I did the Merzouga-Zagora piste and visited that Dakar garage. Now I'm in Sidi Ifni in a €15 balcony room overlooking the ocean.

Weather seems to be crap in Europe? I'll probably just stay here longer and take the overnight moto-rail home instead
  14. Bart79

Bart79 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Squawk (or others),

I am going to make a Morocco trip in about two weeks. Just like you, it will be a solo trip with a packed aprilia pegaso (tuscany tibet version). I also adopted the merzouga-zagora (I meant the Mhamid ;)) trip in my favorites. What is the difficulty rate of that piste?
  15. WIBO

WIBO Will it buff out?

Oddometer:

Excellent!!!...Any ride report pending?

:)

16. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    It's kind of hard to say.. I guess it depends on skill, the bike, and weather etc etc. The vast majority told me to not even think about it and then a few said it was not that bad at all. I'd never ridden in sand sand but I grew up with dirt bikes and snowmobiles. I did Merzouga-Zagora the day after a huge sand storm, and during random isolated sand twisters.. it was not that bad really. I would just give yourself lots of backup time and make sure you have extra fuel/water/money etc.. I was prepared to sleep in the desert if I had to. There are places to sleep along the way and people do live there as well, so it really isn't as bad as most say imo. It was a highlight of the trip for sure. I did ride with other bikers about half of the time and if I'd met some bikes to ride there I would have gone for Mhamid as well