The 650 Dakar Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by underwaterguru, Mar 10, 2009.

1. jkphoto

jkphoto Sometime Adventurer

Oddometer:
    PM sent on YZ 21" front wheel.
  2. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    i ended up going over the bar with protapers, it had the least bends but it looked cleaner before when it was tucked under the bars though.
  3. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    Click here for my ad in the Flea Market. Scroll down to Page 2 to see photos of the items remaining.

I've got several parts left over after doing the YZ fork conversion and other work on my 03 Dakar last month...

Remaining items need to go to a good home, including:

• 21" DID front rim and spokes, perfect condition (I'm having black Excel a rim put on the hub)
    • 17" stock BMW rear rim and spokes, excellent condition (I'm going to an 18" black Excel rim on the stock hub)
    • Stock exhaust system, dirty but not too beat up (I put another can on it)
    • ABS modulator and the four rigid brake lines that went to it, all was working when removed (I removed the ABS while it was down)
    • Stock CS sprocket cover (going with a homemade case saver)
    • Dakar front fender and beak (I had to go with a YZ type fender for clearance with the additional travel in the new forks)
    • Stock Dakar handlebars (went with ProTapers)
    These items need to be out of my garage! No reasonable offer will be refused.

Thanks!
  4. Schlug

Schlug A natural, zesty enterprise.

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    Pardon my ignorance, but I've only had my Dakar for a short time.

The battery (looks stock but I cannot be sure) has gone tits up.

Is there a direct swap Odyssey batter for this bike? F650.com isn't clear. I believe they cite a battery that is no longer made then make note that another Odyssey might be the replacement, but this requires me to remove some sort of locating tab?

PS:
    Can someone point me to the Yamaha fork swap thread or post? I'm very interested. I have a 2002 model.
  5. Lupin 3rd

Lupin 3rd Raygun Gothic

Oddometer:
  6. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    Just wondering if anyone has interest in one of these front fenders. It's in primer gray and I have the black plastic beak extension for the front. The light has also been upgraded to HID and the wiring is long enough for the ballast to fit in the compartment behind the seat.

I'd like to go back to the 2007 Dakar fender if anyone wants to deal :wink:

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=1500

[​IMG]
  7. rc mad

rc mad Physycotic gecko

Oddometer:
    So, the dak is down for its 36k service and i decided to junk the rear plastics whilst I'm doing it :lol3

this is what it looked like before, not bad but that box was pretty high up on the bike.

[​IMG]

Then you do this to the rear plastics, remove bits until there's not a lot left. :eek1

[​IMG]

and this is what it looks like now, work in progress.

[​IMG]

i needed a new plate, designed one in cad and had it water cut out of 6000 series ally for £35 / $55, think it needs anodising :wink:

[​IMG]

And the panniers still fit, which is a bonus:clap

[​IMG]

Don't know the weight of whats come off, but it's a lot of stuff, plastic and steel. Left to do are a few spacers to mount the plate to the rear end, after that its drilling holes to mount the top box, figure out where the indicators are going, finish up the wiring of the led tail lights, yup theres two, the top one is there to fill in the gap mostly :lol3

[​IMG]
  8. Bikenstitches

Bikenstitches Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got my rear shock back from Go Race with pre-load and compression adjustability. It had zero nitrogen pressure when it was opened up. All I have to do now is put it back in-

[​IMG]
  9. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    rc mad, looks better mounted lower. lower center of gravity too! i stripped my stock rack off too. now waiting for a undertail brakelight to come in the mail so i can clean up the rear better.
  10. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    He's the best! :thumb
  11. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Looks good, what did it cost?
  12. Bikenstitches

Bikenstitches Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Treefitty including freight. Includes a 2-1/2 page in-depth explanation of suspension terms and their adjustments' effects on handling and ride, as well as recommended sag settings with my prescribed weight loads.

Can't wait to try it out tho I have to, due to travel plans.
  13. tomatoe333

tomatoe333 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did they bleed/recharge the preload adjuster circuit? Mine has a bunch of "slop" in the knob - the first third of the range on the knob does nothing.
  14. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
    Mine was like that ... yesterday I took the oill line off the bottom, pushed the piston back up inside the resevoir and added light 3 in 1 oil and now it's perfect.

I got this info from the guy who sells Hyperpro springs and shocks and it's right on.
  15. redbastard

redbastard Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got out on my mod'ed Dakar last Sunday. I did a dual sport ride with a local group mostly riding 450-250 dual sports. I had no problem hanging with them. We hit a couple of rooty wet goat trails, no problem. :D

[​IMG]
  16. artwalsh

artwalsh MacArthur

Oddometer:
    What an effin bear. Anyone need advice on this feel free to pm me or shoot me an inbox. For what it worth, went from stock bars to.....more stock bars. Just couldn't afford the 3+ week lead time from Touratech for some bolt on magura bars.

Peace!
  17. tomatoe333

tomatoe333 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent tip! You used the 3-in-1 like comes in the little oiler cans in the hardware store? And how did you push the piston back up? Stick something through the banjo bolt hole?
  18. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the 3 in 1 with the retractable spout ... really easy to use and I just turned the resevoir upside down and pushed the piston back using the hole where the banjo bolts up.

Filled to the top and bolted it back together.

http://www.3inone.com/products/telescoping-spout/
  19. Notnewchevy

Notnewchevy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ok, thanks for all the input. I have weighed the options and have ordered the SW Motec bars.
    The TT bars are just to darn much money. Holan bars are not available as far as I could tell most likely would have ordered them but... the happy trail bars and plate look ok but not what I needed. Can't wait to add some protection I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
  20. mothra

mothra Rally Driver

Oddometer:

Very nice! I just wish he had responded to my first email attempt at contact. Looks nice enough that I will try again.