Why buy a Harley

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by hapbob, Feb 10, 2013.

1. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Fwiw, I've owned about 50 bikes and think you're spot on. My RK shakes at idle but once underway it's smoother than any other bike I've had.
  2. UnsureFooting

UnsureFooting Title of User Here

Oddometer:
    50? Are you Jay Leno or just indecisive? :p
  3. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Buy, get bored, sell, repeat. :lol3
  4. Buckeye71

Buckeye71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Why buy a Harley? I found myself asking that same question last week and I ended up trading in my 12' Super Tenere in on a 13' Street Glide. I wish I had done this years ago.
  5. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    And what is it about the trade that makes you wish you had done it sooner? Just curious... :ear
  6. Buckeye71

Buckeye71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For me the biggest thing is comfort. With the floorboards, along with highway pegs, I can move my legs and feet around and always find a comfortable spot. I actually like the 103 motor as well, in 6th on the highway it moves the bike effortlessly. Having a radio and electronic cruise control just sealed the deal for me.

I looked at a Gold Wing as well and I thought it was a fantastic bike, but it didn't have anywhere near the character that the Street Glide does.
  7. TheBreeze2010

TheBreeze2010 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Last bike before the wing was a very nice Ultra, before that a Road King.
    Had most of the Harleys, even one made by that AMF bowling company.
    Loved them all............Bought a GW in 2008, 70K miles including several
    cross country and an Alaska trip. Love this bike too and probably my last
    bike at 65 years old. Heading to Newfoundland and Labrador next week
    on it. Like Harleys, service and accesories are expensive, but have had
    zero issues. I enjoy the quiet and "no Vibration" operation.

Good Luck with whatever you choose........Ride Safe.................Breeze
  8. marshrat

marshrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I removed the heel shifter as soon as I got the bike home. I also added an extended brake pedal.
  9. Tucson Jim

Tucson Jim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    13' long Street Glide?! That is one long bike.
  10. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep. The long and low look is very much the fashion these days. Whereya been?

:D
  11. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is fuel economy a consideration? It's never been to me personally, since I ride for fun, not economy. But I know that for some people it is important. I have no idea what sort of mileage figures the V-Max delivers, but my Sportster gets about 54 mpg when ridden "normally" on back roads (65 mph average), and around 48 mpg when I wring its neck (hard acceleration and revs in the twisties).
  12. 900

900 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ran into a group of Harley riders at a service area a couple of weeks ago. Most of them on Electra or Street Glides. Never gave a second thought about Harleys lately, been riding sportbikes, supermotos/enduros the last 15 years, but two of the Street Glides, customized with taste, where looking COMPLETELY BADASS, especially one with a Matte black paintjob, and really got me into thinking to sell my two bikes and get myself a Street Glide.

Here's a couple of pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway, the next week I called a couple of dealers, asked for a test ride and made appointments. The Street Glide was great, too bad at 6' the BatWings/mini windscreen produced so much buzz and buffeting which ruled it out for me.

I also took a spin on a Fat Boy Lo - drove it about 1 mile, turned around, rode back, gave back the key and thanked the dealer for the ride. I found the riding position pretty unbearable, putting yourself into an completely unnatural riding posture, like sitting on a too low chair with the rear chairlegs about to break, the forward positioned feet on the floorboards locked into one position (I have shoesize 13) by the rear shifter etc. etc.

As I was at it, I also test rode a 1200 Sportster Custom. Except for the forward mounted footpegs which drag on every occasion, especially on the right side, in terms of "vibe" from the engine, chassis/handling I liked it the best.

The Street Glide looks badass, though.
  13. UnsureFooting

Oddometer:
    For YOU it was unnatural. For ME it feels unnatural to be in some sort of modified yoga ball whilst riding a motorcycle. FWIW, I'm 6'2, and on the 2013 electra glide/road glide/road king my legs are bent at about 90-95°, with my knees and hips about level.

The fat boy low, however, is more stretched out, but not as much as the Dyna fat Bob, which is, IMO, the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden.
  14. sixspeed

sixspeed Put on the WHOLE armor

Oddometer:
    Exiled from the land of gum bands & bottle of pop
    If you're a taller guy and are still thinking hog you might want to try out a Harley police bike. The FLHTP Police EG and FLHP Road Kink sit normal height and have (arguably) the best seat on a Harley, the air/spring police solo seat.

I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer wouldn't remove the heel shifter for a test ride if you asked him, so that you could get a feel of the bike without it. Love or hate HD's, Harley dealers are the most accommodating of any brand when it comes to test rides.
  15. UnsureFooting

Oddometer:
    Don't forget the demo truck!
  16. sixspeed

sixspeed Put on the WHOLE armor

Oddometer:
    Exiled from the land of gum bands & bottle of pop
    :D I give them credit, they'll pretty much just about let anybody take out anything out for a demo ride.

And maybe I'm lucky (or blessed) but I've never run into a pushy saleshole at a HD dealer that tried to push me into a bike I didn't want or didn't fit me.
  17. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I actually have very limited experience with HD dealerships. But, the one time that I did wonder into one and see a bike I actually liked, the salesman actually offered me a test ride on his own, without me even inquiring. I wasn't even in there with any idea of buying a bike. Me, and the then future MrsRandy just wondered in on a lark to kill some time. But, a few days later I went back and took that test ride. I actually rode two bikes that day. They ended up not making a sale, but it did make me want one. Then a month or so later my fiance bought me the bike I wanted as a surprise Christmas gift from a dealer that was closer to me than the one that I took the test ride at. So, while that dealer and salesman didn't get anything out of it, HD's policy did sell a bike. I never even dreamed I'd want a Harley until I took that test ride. And, I agree, there was no pressure at all while there either time. They didn't try to steer me onto another bike. Just offered, and later gave me a ride on the bike I liked.
  18. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    From a salesman's perspective, that's a load of shit.

He spent the time with ya and treated ya right, so now he works for corporate Harley?
  19. Bloodweiser

Bloodweiser honestly

Oddometer:
    The salesmen at the dealership around me don't work on commission.
  20. John K.

John K. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is this standard practice for Harley or just that one dealership?