The Honda XL1000V thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Two Plugs, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Squily

Squily Squily

Oddometer:

What sort of bashplate you using?
  2. Squily

Squily Squily

Oddometer:
  3. Leon MK3

Leon MK3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It is handmade from aluminum 3,5mm...

I took the original skid plate with the right measures and I drew a new one plate based in my desires.....
  4. Two Plugs

Two Plugs Born to be blunt Supporter

Oddometer:
    It looks great! :wink:

Regarding pics... OK, point made... Discussions here, pics the other side.
    Perhaps it is wise to post it here as soon as you post a pic in that other topic? ;)

Lets keep the Dero topics here alive!!! Its hard enough with only one topic... not to mention 2...
    Keep them postings & pics coming!
  5. zandesiro

zandesiro In rust we trust....

Oddometer:
  6. Two Plugs

Oddometer:
    Interesting discussion... Honda is trying to 'use' (not sure if this is the right word to use... ) Honda motorcycle meetings as a 'platform' to gain information for their R&D development.

Nothing new, they have been doing so for the last 7-8 years and we all know the results of these inquiries...

Shouldn't Honda perhaps save on travel expenses and put this in their R&D office? To get a proper Africa Twin revival, for example?

Everything Honda needs to know has been said and written by its custommers - also here at ADV riders Forum...

Interesting discussion on the International Varadero & Crosstourer Forum though regarding participation from Honda to the 15th annual International meeting in Wales, next month:

http://varaderoforumcom.h826747.serverkompetenz.net/viewtopic.php?p=21947
  7. africa twin

africa twin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Two Plugs I know it looks sometimes like they are not listening but we have to keep trying to get the message thru. Sent you a PM.
  8. Two Plugs

Oddometer:
    Sorry, no message received?

There is also something positive about this issue. The development of a new motorcycle takes long, years after years of testing, designing, etc etc. Some of the features we would love to see on a Varadero (for example) are introduced on the Crosstourer. So, thats a good point.

Tnx
    Bernard
  9. trex300

trex300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just finished reading this whole thread, lots of great info here, just like the Transalp thread.

Just picked up a '08 Varadero and looking forward to seeing what it can do in the dirt. Front TKC80, hot grips, MRA Vario screen and crash bars ordered today. Already added bar risers and my Stebel from my last bike. Rear tire is a new Battlewing so I'll use that up before getting a Heidenau for the rear. Had a Mitas E07 front and Battlewing rear on my weestrom and that combo worked surprisingly well on both street and dirt.

Anybody run a fork brace on these bikes? I have the one from my weestrom and it looks like the forks are the same size but the fender looks to be in the way to go straight across from the top of the bottom fork legs(just above the fork seals). May have to fab something to make it work.
  10. cgoakley

cgoakley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When you take the fender off! honda already installed a steel brace! cheers!
  11. trex300

trex300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you, I would have noticed when my TKC80 tire comes in, guess I can sell it to the strommers.
  12. Crooked Tree

Crooked Tree n00b

Oddometer:
    Interesting build:

I used to ride single track on KTM's, and now that I am older I want to do more adventure riding but with an edge towards the woods. Times are tough for my business and I just can not afford a big KTM, both purchase price and maintenance costs.

There is not a bike made that fits the bill in a price range that is realistic for a bike that will be abused. $12k for an Adventure is just too much.

So.......... I have been toying with the idea of buying a used EXC with a bad motor and getting out the torches. The bike could lose an inch or two of height, cut the center section as necessary for whatever transplant I decide. I had a VFR750 years ago and I think that motor could work. Has to be a common motor so cheap parts are available, but I have just about given up on a factory ride, and I like to fabricate anyway.

I will be following the "Super" buildup with interest, thanks for sharing.

Larry
  13. Two Plugs

Oddometer:
    Hi Trex

There is one installed (fork brace), right underneath the front fender. Maybe not a real 'hard core' thing, but it is there. Check also the International Forum for more Varadero techspecs. Its a great bike, but for real 'mudwrestling' perhaps a little too heavy...

I also had a Stebel Nautilus Compact, but after problems with them twice (replaced under warranty) I changed for a US made Big Boy.
  14. trex300

trex300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What went wrong with your Stebel 2plugs?
  15. Two Plugs

Oddometer:
    It can't handle rain. A drizzle is OK, but riding 5 hours in a rainstorm is something the Stebel doesn't like... So it caught a cold and lost its voice... Twice. :rofl

Compliments for the Dutch importer (Valk Motorsports in Amersfoort City) for resolving the issue without any hessitation!
  16. trex300

trex300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guess I've been lucky with mine, it's been under water a few times and is still effectively loud :evil
  17. Two Plugs

Oddometer:
    Hi All<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    The International Varadero & Crosstourer Forum has successfully moved to its new home base. <o:p></o:p>
    We are looking forward to receive many new members registering from today!<o:p></o:p>
    http://www.vci-forum.com/index.php?action=forum<o:p></o:p>
    The old forum will remain online till May 1st, 2013 and will be shut down to 'read only' from that date.<o:p></o:p>
    The existing URL varadero-international.com and crosstourer-international.com will be redirected to our new home base from May 1<SUP>st</SUP>. <o:p></o:p>
  18. trex300

trex300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been able to put on some kms with the TKC80 front tire and it seems to work fairly well, even had the wife on the back yesterday and was still able to do some good speeds on gravel roads with no floaty feeling...ABS works well on the gravel too.

The Battlewing I still have on the rear does not like snow.

I've added 1" handlebar risers but it still feels like the bars are too low when riding standing up. Being 6'4", can any other taller Vara riders recommend how tall a riser you can add before you have trouble with the cables?

Rick
  19. Ghostbrother

Ghostbrother Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. judomaniak

judomaniak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    has anyone out there bought a California Scientific windshield for the Varadero.What are the good bad or ugly about it