2013 KTM Adventure 1190

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by goodcat8, Apr 23, 2012.

1. 996DL

996DL Dunning-Kruger PHD

Oddometer:
    Any manufacturer that's faced with marketing a game changer, also has to be prepared to step up to the plate, to satisfy the customer and dealers, with what might have to be a totally new approach in reliability, parts backup, STRONG warranty backing etc., yadda, yadda...

Ducati and the 1200MTS is of course, the extremely similar example...

Here's hoping KTM get's it right, funky company. :thumb

996DL
  2. Aussijussi

Aussijussi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here in Finland the price will be, rumored 25000 AUD at least!
  3. Red Dust

Red Dust Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In Australia $AUD24500. I often compare prices with Sweden since I used to live there an it probably will cost around SKR140 000 for the R model, here it would be at least SKR20 000 more = around $AUD3K.

I thought it would be even more in Finland.

This piece of equipment would be a great machine the whole year around in Scandinavia especially with spikes on the tyre!

Might trade in my B-King & DL650 for this one pending a test ride.

I only have bad references from friends that had them and said never again about KTM but believe this model should be good mechanical and all the rest.
  4. vanilla

vanilla Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had KTM's for over 10 years: a EXC, a 950 and 990 ADV, all without issues. The build quality on them is equivalent to the German brands...
  5. Red Dust

Oddometer:
    Also heard bad stories about a German brand....

I suppose we all know some people with issues and we are all different and it can happen to any brand.

A very close friend to me he never buy a KTM again, he had a 640 model and spend massive amount of $ on it in repairs.

Another one had a 990 and he was not happy especially with the way the fuel injection behaved.

Also know the vibration can be quite bad and turbulence regarding some models. Having said that my DL650 which is a great bike for the money has a very bad seat and causing massive amount of turbulence and would be nowhere near as good in bad terrain as any KTM (except the RC8 superbike....).

Personally never had a KTM, tried a few though and really looking forward to take this 1190 for a spin.

I do not mind the new Tenere` but it feels that something is missing and it also got some turbulence. I solved it by taking the screen away and got bliss plus beautiful on those 30-40+ degree days.
  6. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Were you quoted that as an on-the-road price? Still sounds a bit high.

Dealer here in the west quoted me $22K for the "R" model, RRP. That would put it on the road at under $24K, IIRC.

Standard bike with the manual clickers RRP $21K, or so I was told.

Maybe we'd better stop talking it up. Might be giving the importer ideas. :lol3
  7. Red Dust

Oddometer:
    Team Moto Virgina, Brisbane.

R model on the road $24500 and the standard around $1000 less.

Still do not really understand why that price, I do not say it is not worth it but with our strong dollar you think it could be similar to the car industry with if not lower prices at least they get a lot of extras, some models even got the same price as 15-20 years ago (Nissan Pulsar e.t.c.), our hard earned dollar must end up in some ones pocket along the way?

But without the dealers it would be more difficult to do what we love, they must survive as well...
  8. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    Aren't KTM's German? :D
    I'd assume they are just as good as any other brand, a lot of parts are sourced anyways. I like the new VDO instrument cluster, the traditional KTM more off-road look instruments weren't that great I believe.
  9. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, there is the 10 per cent retail tax (GST).

After that, I can only guess it is about managing supply and demand.

If they offered it at $18K (assuming they could), they'd sell a bunch of them but at lower margins - IF they could get them.

The situation with Toyota and its Subaru-engined 86 sports car offers a case in point. With a new model and no existing sports car offering, they took advantage of the high AUD and undercut their competitors by about $10K.

And have been rewarded with a wait list of several months. The Toyota website warns of an eight-month wait for some versions.

We can guess bike importers would rather pocket the $ from those who must have one now. Which may include me. It is still a great looking deal in historical terms, locally.

IF the AUD stays this high, you may see lower prices next year. :D
  10. Red Dust

Oddometer:
    Might wait until next year anyway to find out any hidden "faults" and read many more reviews. So far this bike seems to be a top shelf one.
    150 hp is a lot for this kind of bike, remember 1989 when I bought a Yamaha FZR1000. it had a similar output and it was like a missile at that time.
    Will be very interesting to hear reviews or even better try this bike in the full power mode on dirt roads/tracks......heck this bike probably would do ok at the drag strip as well.
    Very excited!
  11. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    Personally I find that 150hp thing crazy, don't need it. Heck, what matters a lot more to me is power delivery and torque.
    I'm too scared to die young (Ok, I'm old already) and the frame geometry/suspension of a dual sports combined with 150hp?
    Is the 150hp required to match the Multistrada output? Probably marketing driven.
    Curious about the first test ride, I may think different afterwards :-)
  12. Red Dust

Oddometer:
    If you put it into one of the 100hp modes (still lot of power on the dirt) you should be fine and depending your throttle hand it all should be just great.
    It is just amazing how quickly you can get used to a lot of power, then we do all the tuning as well to get even more......
  13. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    Makes sense. Cool to have electronic throttle and mapping stuff, never tried this.
  14. Red Dust

Oddometer:
    Have a 100hp or something mode on my B-King but I never tried it due to being afraid it would be stuck in the lower hp mode......
  15. Katoom72

Katoom72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same here, no KTM has ever let me down.

I don't get all the fuss about reliability. People act like they fall apart when u sneeze at em.
  16. DavidD

DavidD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sure most people know, but KTM's are actually Austrian - asking if they are German is a bit like asking a Canadian if they are American :roflNot sure who would be more upset - the Canook or the Yank - as a Limey I had better keep quiet :lol3
  17. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    My mother is Austrian, I was playing the issue (history). These days the European Union totally makes you forget about the borders, there are none you can see. Here I am in Canada requiring a Visa waiver every 3 month's for travels to the US, it's a real shame. Now back to motorcycles :-)
  18. coast range rider

coast range rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can someone who has heard the bike comment on whether this video is with the stock exhaust or the Akrapovic? It sounds sweet to me. Seems loud for stock, although for all I know they stuck a mike inside the can!
  19. StevenD

StevenD Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer:
    The stock bike with the power on is quite loud, sounds like a .... KTM! :ear
  20. Frog uk

Frog uk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wer'nt they?

Mine do what they need to and never broken.

What more do you want?