New Michelin Anakee 3 Tires

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by CompAcc, Dec 19, 2012.

1. MingRidesBikes

MingRidesBikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone else with some real mileage on the anakee 3's yet? I just picked up a new to me 07 Caponord. The beast is heavy and she'll be manly used for commuting, riding two up, touring, and camping. With that said, the Tourances on the bike are the OEM tires that came on the bike I believe. Just hit 10000 miles today! I'm not needing 10000 miles out of the anakee 3's if they provide better performance than the tourances. I love the longevity that tourances have, but I'd rather trade out a bit, for better grip in the corners, and in the dirt. (fire roads, gravel roads, and hard pack dirt.) Thanks in advance guys!
  2. jrozar

jrozar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put 2200 miles on mine on road last month from Las Vegas to San Ignacio Springs Baja and also 200 miles offroad in Death Valley this month!

I love them......
  3. PFFOG

PFFOG Richard Alps-aholic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Western NY, further from NYC than 6 entire states
    A week from now I should have a good estimate. I am in the Smokey's where only twice in the last 6 years a set of new tires was not bald edge to edge in 10 days.
  4. swampyvt

swampyvt n00b

Oddometer:
    Copied my post from the S10 Forum.

I just managed to take pictures of my tires. The Anakees shown have 6k on them. We just got back from the MotoGP in Austin by way of NJ, PA, MD, WV, VA, NC, SC, NC, SC, GA, AL, FL, AL, MS, LA, TX, OK, AR, MO, IL, KY, VA, WV, MD, PA, NJ. :)) The bike was loaded heavy for all of the miles ridden. Both panniers, a top box and a dry bag on the passenger seat were all full and definetaly overweight.

Impressions...

On road these tires feel much better than the Anakee 2s. Cornering at high speed in twisties is excellent. We were riding fast enough to feather the edges of the tires and at no point did it feel unstable. On the highway the tires are definitely a nicer ride. Rain performance was also excellent as I got caught in what I would consider "monsoon" weather. I also rode ~70 miles of dirt and gravel roads and they performed with no issues.

The tires look like they have a lot of miles left but only time will tell..

The front tire looks much more worn than the rear.
    [​IMG]

Rear.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
  5. MingRidesBikes

Oddometer:

I think I may purchase these for my Capo. From every post of people that have actually ridden on these tires they seem favorable to the anakees 2 and tourances (in the fact that most post perfer anakees over tourances anyway). Only question I've seen that had negative feedback about the tire, is when leaned over in dirt/gravel. Does the bike handle and track well, or does the front end push and plow, and the rear not hook up? I'm mainly going to be on maintained fire roads, and loose gravel roads. Front end plow is really my biggest concern.
  6. swampyvt

swampyvt n00b

Oddometer:
    I had no issues with the rear hooking up and the bike going where I wanted it to go. I was mostly riding the dirt/gravel roads that parallel and cross the BRP South of Roanoke, VA.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
  7. MingRidesBikes

Oddometer:
    Look what I got :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. tvbh40a

tvbh40a PSUViking

Oddometer:
    Idaho home of the fiesta bowl champ BSU bronco's
    Mount up ming and take the Capo up Bogus basin rd and see how they perform.:lol3
  9. MingRidesBikes

Oddometer:
    I will in about 1000 miles! still got quite a bit of life on my tourances. But bogus to robie creek is a great ride!
  10. PFFOG

PFFOG Richard Alps-aholic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Western NY, further from NYC than 6 entire states
    OK here is my experience, just got back from a week in the Smokey's tearing up the twisties with some dirt thrown in.

2270 miles, and the tires are half way to the wear bars. Measured near the wear bars, started with 9 1/2 rear, now at 6. Front, started at 6 and at 4 front now.

Elephants are LONG gone, even wearing the ridge where the sidewall meets the tread surface, and NO slips at all in the dry, a couple in some nasty wet and moss, that set another rider on Tourances grabbing some seat with his sphincter. A fair amount of wet pavement, and no drama. Rode some dirt, loose gravel, and some steep gravel climbs, and was happy, I do not have a lot of dirt experiance to make a comparative judgement.

I was with another rider that had these on his new GS12H2........oh. It has rained every day since he picked it up a week ago, and in 2K miles says they are the best rain tire he has ridden. (he rides 30-60K miles/year)

Bottom line great tire, stuck as good as any sport tires (M-3, BT-016, Pilot Power 2ct, Pilot Road 2ct) Heat up fast, wear EXCELLENT. Gave me confidence in dirt and seemed more immune to following the grooved chip seal that NC is fond of (those that ride there know what I am talking about)

And before you say the 5K I am projected to get sucks, the LONGEST I ever went on a set of tires on my R1100S was 2700, on a set of Pilot road 2ct's and I managed to clean off a set of Pirelli Corsa 3's in 3 days and 1100 miles, and both were BALD edge to edge, riding the same roads at the same spirited pace. Granted the F8GS is lighter, but I rode every bit as spirited. This is my tire of choice from this point forward for trips that will be 90% pavement.
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    ...and the real reason the Anakee 3 went more road biased

the new Michelin Anakee Wild
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877262

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  12. BluWolf

BluWolf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Put some on last week (well, Beemer Uber Alles put them on). Did about 300 miles in advance on a trip down to the Dragon this week. MUCH better on the highway then the TKC 80s.

When I got the TKCs over 80mph the bike would squirrel all over the place. The Anakee IIIs stay nice and rooted.

Will probably not see dirt for a coupla weeks. Will report back after they do.
  13. speedmonkey7

speedmonkey7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My next tires! Well I'll probably wear 3 more rears out before these are available ...KTM 950 rider lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
  14. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    I read somewhere that the Anakee 3 has a unique profile or cross-section ... for better turn in or something like that .... maybe not true... but in any event ...

My question: I'm ready for a new back tire, but still have lots of life left on current front tire - its the Tourance (not EXP) ... is going to handle screwy if I "mix-and-match" the A3 on the back and have a Metzeler Tourance on the front?

Probably not a great idea eh?
  15. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    The manufacturers (bike and tire) will tell you you're going to die in a fiery crash if you mix tires but people do it all the time. Run a knobby front and an 80/20 tire on the back. I just picked up my new Anakee 3s yesterday and will be doing the same but in reverse. My front Battlewing is toast but the rear still has a lot of tread left. I normally just swap out both but I've got so much tread left on the Battle wing I can't bring myself to throw away a perfectly good tire.
  16. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got an A3 on the back and a Pirelli Scorpion Trail on the front. After about 700 miles it seems to ride ok to me.Can't speak to the Tourance.
  17. jon6.0

jon6.0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lol. I was just pondering how the Anakee 3 would work on the rear of my KTM 990 with a T63 front. I'm in Az where I like the bite of a knobbie offroad, but would like something that will last longer than 2k miles in the rear. Yeah I know, it's a 990 and they eat rear tires. I also ride in sandy washes and need a knobbie front for that. The 990 has enough power that with the right application of throttle it can make its way through pretty much anything with enough momentum. :D
  18. VMSfan

VMSfan n00b

Oddometer:
    I have about 3500 miles on a pair of the Anakee III. Just a tiny bit of flat spot along the crest is showing on the rear, but still plenty of deep tread left. Prior to that I had a set of Tourances.

90% of my riding has been highway. The other 10% was taking hard packed dirt and gravel roads with minimal mud.
    I live in the Seattle WA area, so I have used these tires in a lot of both wet and dry conditions. I commute daily with a round trip of 64 miles (32 each way).

I paid about $340 for the pair at Cycle Gear, plus the $60 to have them mounted and balanced by them. Total out of pocket was about $400 - a huge savings of getting the same tires mounted and balanced at my local BMW dealership (close to $600).

I replaced the Tourance due to a flat and figured that I should get new sneakers on my GS as I had about 6000 miles on them.

In short. For my riding, the Anakee III is a great tire and I do prefer them over the Tourance.

For road performance, it is a smoother and quieter riding tire. In dry conditions, I can take it from edge to edge and have no problems with traction… it rides almost as good as a Michelin Pilot street tire. I say almost as it being a harder compound tire, it does take longer to warm up and even after some aggressive twisties, the tire is warm, but not hot like a Pilot would be.

Wet traction is better than the Tourance, but since it is a harder tire, tar patches and paint are slick when in an aggressive lean angle. In upright riding though, I feel that the Anakee’s do shed water better and when going through deeper puddles, I don’t get the hydroplaning experience anywhere near as bad as I would with the Tourances.

For the limited off road riding I have done, they are a stable tire and I do not feel any flex or torsion going over bigger rocks or ruts. In softer packed sand , I actually felt the Anakee’s tended to dig in better, especially at subtle lean angles and right themselves quickly.

In the muddy situations, if the mud is fairly superficial, I would put them on par with the Tourances, in the thicker deeper stuff, I think the Tourances will be better here. In fact, for more aggressive and varying off road terrain, the Tourances would be my choice.

I have noticed with the Anakee III, that once rear tire pressure gets to 35 PSI or less, the tire does give more of a “floating” sensation which I would not get on the Tourances. I use this though as the indicator to check my tire pressures and pump things up. I run pressures higher at 36 front, 42 rear.

I would agree with the majority of what people are saying about the Anakee, if 90% or greater of your riding time is on paved road, the Anakee III is the tire to get. If you do 70% paved and 30% packed dirt/sand/gravel…I would still choose the Anakee. If I was doing more offroad and had thicker and more challenging conditions, I would go for the Tourances. Anything more than that for off road bias, then get some knobbies.
  19. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    VMSFan:

THANKS for the ride report - very encouraging:clap
  20. jallenb

jallenb taking the backroads

Oddometer:
    Encouraging indeed. Where I live, I'm at least 80 road and 20 dirt just getting to the dirt. I really appreciate the feedback.