Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. EEKAMOUSE

EEKAMOUSE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey does anyone have info on a manual cam chain tensioner for the Wrr just wondering?
  2. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    Never heard of any CCT issues with the WRR/X. This motor is very different than typical thumpers, like say the DRZ 400, where most people switch to a MCCT. This motor is really more like 1/4 slice of an inline 4.
  3. jckid

jckid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do have a battery tender. I didn't know the pigtail could be used that way. That sounds like a great, simple solution so I can get my vest before it gets really cold. My husband does do soldering. So there's nothing more complicated required? Just solder the part that would go into the pigtail to the appropriate plug for the vest? No relays, fuses, or other stuff required?

Thanks for this. I think I may try the solution above to get my vest asap, but when we have more time, I'm going to check into this setup further. Eventually I"d like to have a power source for my GPS and maybe add heated gloves or grips as well.
  4. what broke now

what broke now Petroleum Brother Supporter

Oddometer:
    "No relays, fuses, or other stuff required?"

The battery tender brand pigtail includes a fuseholder with a 7 amp fuse in it already. My gerbing jacket is 76 watts,eg, so that 7 amp is perfect for it.
    All you need is to make a cable [16 gauge automotive primary wire is fine] with the battery tender style [sae] plug on one end, and your compatible style plug for the vest on the other. Make the cable long enough to suit the vest riding condition. When done riding, remove the vest adaptor cable, and you are back to a tender connection.

Get a thermostat control for the vest so you don't cook yourself. :D
  5. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    Depending on the vest that may not even be needed. An Aerostich vest has the 2 wire SAE / Tender connection, it plugs right in.
  6. what broke now

Oddometer:

Heck, yeah! As long as the cable is long enough, good to go... just don't forget to unplug before you walk away for coffee!
  7. OldPete

OldPete Be aware

Oddometer:

I want an R2 real bad so I'm reading a bunch.

Check the parts changes by year here... http://www.rickramsey.net/WR250Rmods.htm
    Looks like twice it was up-graded and the better is for 2012.

Manual adjuster here... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782813

Little something here... http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t7876-manual-timing-chain-tensioner

I will buy used and would consider a manual type at the first sign of chain noise. Just me though. My K75s makes a racket but it will be sold.
  8. Abrupt Edge

Abrupt Edge Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    After completing the TAT with 13/47 (too high; should have been 13/49) I changed the rear to a 45 and rode 2800 mile home in four days. Averaged 700 mi per day, but one was short due to 114 F heat, and the last was 900 miles. These little bikes will do it! Ran about 65 on the interstate all the way and had no problems. DID Gold x-ring chain, no adjustment the whole trip, and Ironman sprocket. Good combination. Just ran another 2200 mile ride on the 13/47 as it was mostly good gravel and pavement, and still no adjustment needed. Lube every day, whether it's needed or not.

[​IMG]
  9. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Powerlet offers a cable with a SAE plug at one end and a pigtail on the other end. Plug the SAE into your battery tender cable and jacket liner into the pigtail. $20

Gerbing offers a jacket liner harness for $10. It has the pigtail plug. I bought two and spliced the second one running the pigtail to the bars for my GPS.

Google up their websites.
  10. LoFlow

LoFlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    2800 miles in 4 days after doing the TAT... :bow
  11. EEKAMOUSE

EEKAMOUSE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thx OldPete appreciate the help!
  12. PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer:
    What tires you run'in?

TIA
  13. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    STOP!

DO NOT use the pig tail that came with the tender.... it is very likely to have thinner gauge wires which could overheat with the increased heated gear amperage. Use a pig tail that is supplied with the heated gear. I recommend the ones from Warm and Safe.

YMMV, just don't melt your harness... you will regret it.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  14. Abrupt Edge

Abrupt Edge Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I changed to Kenda 761's in Oregon after using D606's on the TAT. The Kendas were great on the road, and barely showed any wear after getting home. I have them in the garage and will put them on during periods when not dual sporting. It sure made a difference runing down the superslab; smooth and quiet. And, my last post was incorrect. Last trip was with the 13/45. No need for lower gearing on that one.
  15. what broke now

Oddometer:
    The battery tender pigtail has a 7 amp fuse in it, same rating as the jacket liner.
    I've run it hot enough to cook Hebrew Nationals for hours, never a problem.
  16. Joe Watson

Joe Watson Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a quick little WR250R review. A mate and I rode them from Cairns to Cape York in far northern Australia where we did about 3200km on the bikes. They performed almost flawlessly. A couple of loose bolts here and there and my starter button packing it in. A little bit more power would have been nice in the soft sand and on the higher speed transport sections, but overall, I loved this bike for the job.

[​IMG]
  17. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please clarify - do you mean the gearing you ran on the TAT was 13/45? Or only the dash home from Oregon?

Thank you.
  18. ArmyJoe

ArmyJoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of my other hobbies is amateur radio, so I use Anderson Powerpole connectors for all my 12 VDC needs. The gender-less connector allows me to mix and match my cables however I need them.
  19. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Warm n Safe SAE/Pigtail cable: $10
    http://www.warmnsafe.com/sae-coax-plug-adapter-6-in/

20. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    Just wouldn't want someone to think they could upsize the fuse in a common tender lead and think it was ok.

Cheap insurance and a very good idea :nod

Do it once, do it right and be done with it.