First Thumper - F650 GS?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by vayaconqueso, Aug 17, 2012.

1. vayaconqueso

vayaconqueso n00b

Oddometer:
    Well not my first, but the first I would really be proud of. I am in the process of trading up from my Aprilla 150 Scarabeo to something that shifts. After 10,000 miles of scooterdom the wife has approved me for something bigger. I've always loved the F650 lines. I've got a couple questions for consideration as I look at used options.

So on a used BMW F650 GS, how many miles is too many miles? How much does Hwy miles vs dirt road miles matter? Mountain life vs flatter miles. And what are the must check potential problems with higher mileage used BMW's?

I come from a work of 240 volvos, which don't even break in until 200,000 miles. I see folks with 650's in the 100k+ range and wonder how much is too much. I know the Rotax is a bombproof engine (my Aprilla has one) but before I jump on something in the 70k+ range I thought I would ask.
  2. jc9995

jc9995 Commuting BEAST :)

Oddometer:
    Water pump seals, fork seals... That's about it unless it is a 2001ish model. Those had an issue with the front for, breaking near the front wheel iirc.
    I can't comment on how many miles. But I can tell you that when I was buying mine, there were not very many that we're used for the intended purpose...dual sporting. Most seemed to be commuter bikes. My buddy just picked a 2001 up and he wouldn't look at anything over 30k miles.
    What I have never understood was this theory that single cylinders don't last like multi cylinder engines. A revolution is a revolution.....whether there are 1,2, or 4 pistons pumping.....and on top of that....multi cylinder engines spin much faster typically than a single at a given speed....so why wold a single not last as many miles? Don't mean to hijack the thread.....but I think it applies to your question.
    As for your choice in a thumper..... I think your making a great one. I don't think you could get a smoother single, or a more balanced dual sport. Great choice.....I am Impressed with mine almost every time I ride it.
  3. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    Agree with most, but disagree with forks being an issue. Yes some have failed, but it's not something I would worry about. Fork seals won't fail if you install gaitors and the waterpump seals will have to be replaced every 30.000 km or so. Do it yourself while changing the oil since the clutch cover has to be removed. I like mine.
  4. tattoogunman

tattoogunman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was asking the same question - someone close to me has one for sale. 2001 with 31K miles on it. It's my favorite bike color and the price is about what I'm probably going to be able to spend.

I've never had a fuel injected bike though - is there something you can buy to do your own tuning/work on the FI system so I don't have to take it to a BMW dealer for everything?
  5. perterra

perterra -. --- .--. .

Oddometer:

I've never heard of anyone having to work on the FI, most just ride it.
  6. Tubulchain

Tubulchain ODAAT Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had a F650 my first bike and I sold it for a song $2500 to get a Tiger 1050. Looking back it was a dumb move and I wish I kept it! Great bike I took it everywhere with just Annikees on it serious trails and it worked great.
  7. ChazW

ChazW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was looking at a KLR because a friend has one. I bought a F650GS on the advice of my MSR teacher. He has a 650GS, an 800GS, and a 1200GS. Two of the three have over 100K on them. Read the book and do the maintenance he said. I ended up buying a 2007 with 11K miles about four months ago for $5K and couldn't be happier. The bike is a great commuter and is also pretty good on dirt and mud. I'm over 50 and have riden in 30 years, so I'm not pushing the bike (or myself) to anywhere near the limits. At 6'1" I wish I would have gotten a little taller bike, maybe a Dakar seat would help. I'm already eyeing the 800GS. :evil