Stupid questions people ask you when stopped

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by cold_fire, Apr 13, 2009.

1. pretbek

pretbek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was waiting at a light when I heard a Harley ride up 2 lanes to my right and almost even with me. After a few seconds he honked so I looked at him. He fulfilled my stereotype for a "typical Harley rider": Leather face, beanie helmet full of slogan stickers, leather vest, bare arms. He was on a Sportster with a slightly louder than stock and pleasant sounding exhaust.
    He must have looked at my Kawasaki Versys with crash bars, skid plate, and "Hardley Davidson" decal on the tank, because with a big grin he yelled at me "that's cool, that's very cool", then nodded and rode off as the light had turned green.

...I'm sure there is a "stupid question" in there somewhere, still working on that.
    It was the first time that I got any reaction from a Harley rider about that decal.
  2. ZaethDekar

ZaethDekar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What was his tone of voice? I could read that as sarcastic, as an insult, or as humor.
  3. pretbek

pretbek Long timer

Oddometer:
    His tone of voice was loud, to reach across 2 lanes. :)

He seemed like a good-natured guy to me and his grin seemed genuine.
    There were no signs of sarcasm in his face or manners that I could discern.
  4. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    About 10 or so years ago, I pulled up at a light on my old XS650, alongside a loud Harley. The rider lookd across and yelled something that sounded very much like "Why don't you get yourself a REAL f***ing bike?" Thinking I must have mis-heard him, I tried to ask what he said but he looked away and started revving the engine like mad to drown out any possibiltiy of reply - Real classy jerk! Just as the light changed, there was a loud clatter and his air cleaner fell off. Nearly pissed myself laughing as I rode away.
  5. Tip Over

Tip Over Whoopsie!

Oddometer:
    Whenever I'm out on my Harley and I see an adventure/ Dual sport style bike, I always yell(if it's noisy, I have the stock exhaust and never rev) "Ride the world!" Half the time they look at me like I'm crazy, half the time they smile and give a thumbs up, and the other half they flip me the bird and laugh like a maniac.
  6. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:
    What do they do the other half? :wink:

Once when on my KTM 950 SM I had a helmetless guy on a fairly tricked out (chopper type) HD give me a thumbs up and yell "cool bike!" while in traffic. Seemed genuine.
  7. doc4216

doc4216 Chronic High Fiver

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I pulled into a restaurant, parked and started taking off gear. I noticed a younger guy (mid-early twenties) was watching from the front seating area. After putting my helmet in the side cases, he proceeds to walk up and ask me "what kind of bike that was?"
    I replied nicely, "It's a FJR."
    Then I got this back, "Oh, I wasn't that impressed."
    My tone changed a little (but not much) when I said, "Well I guess it's a good thing you don't own it then." :defend

After a few more short sentences, this man proceeded to tell me that he was impressed that my helmet fit in a side case but his wife wants to buy herself a Harley so she probably won't have them.

He was a couple fries short but I think he was trying to be nice and just didn't get it, lol!
  8. Haven't Ben There

Haven't Ben There Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A lot of the Harley Riders I know ride or used to ride dirt. Some of them also have duelsports. So they "get it." Many of them ride year round unless it is snowing or ice is on the roads. We laugh at the guys that go into the shop to get their preseason service done :rofl They cannot figure out why their new batter went dead when they have not road the bike in three months :lol3
  9. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer:
    Motorcycles are like tools. No one single tool will do every job in the garage, and neither will one motorcycle.

Harley makes a great, comfortable, mile eating machine. They have a very valid purpose in the world of motorcycles, and while I don't own one at the moment, I'm definitely not opposed to adding one to the arsenal in the future. I've met more than a fair share of HD owners who really knew motorcycles, and had been stacking miles on various two-wheelers for decades. I like these riders.

However, HD's marketing department does a great job of selling a lifestyle, not actually riding. It is unfortunate, because it attracts a lot of mouth-breathers to the brand, so much so that these idiots are starting to define the brand. Sadly, it is also this type of HD owner that tends to make this thread.
  10. Haven't Ben There

Haven't Ben There Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Riding Donkeys I agree with you and it is unfortunate. But most of the HD riders I know are riders and they do not care for the "pirates" either. Some of them are in the local clubs and they really laugh at some of the "pirates." Most of the ones I have talked to have told me it does not matter what you ride as long as you ride. That is what they are concerned with, you actually ride and do not just talk about it. And I have found out it is hard to keep up with someone on an HD who knows how to ride it.
  11. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer:
    Agreed on all counts.
  12. revrandy

revrandy The Riding Rev.

Oddometer:
    I was riding through Rogers, MI today, a small town right on Lake Huron. Passing by an O'Reilly's Auto I remembered I needed oil, so in I go. My outfit consists of a hi-viz jacket, hi-viz hit-air vest, motorcycle pants and my boots. Just across from the window is where I parked my bike. This conversation takes place as I am purchasing 2 litres of motorcycle oil.

Cashier: Wow, you are dressed very bright.
    Me: Yeah, I prefer to be seen.
    Cashier: Are you going boating?
    Me: Um, no riding a motorcycle
    Cashier: Oh that red one in front of the window?
    Me: Yeah.
    Cashier: Nice bike.

Really, now can you confuse motorcycle gear for boating gear - especially when I am purchasing motorcycle oil. :fpalm
  13. oz97tj

oz97tj Been here awhile

Oddometer:

In their defense, Rogers City is a boating / fishing community.
  14. DOGSROOT

DOGSROOT OUTSIDE

Oddometer:
    Are you suggesting that boaters and fishermen are not very bright?!!?

:lol2
  15. oz97tj

oz97tj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The store clerks in those towns arent.
  16. David R

David R I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer:
    This morning I got out of my tent. The older guy camping across from me said. "I always wanted to do that but she would not let me."
    I said she kicked me out years ago.

I get a lot of that with the tent, and bed roll strapped to the rear rack.
  17. eepeqez

eepeqez Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do, all the time.

My "dririder" motorcycle jacket is great for winter sailing and my sailing bib and brace overalls are the most comfortable and waterproof riding over-pants I've ever owned. My summer motorcycle gloves are my winter sailing gloves.
  18. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    My one piece "Mustang" cruiser suit has to be the most comfortable and waterproof piece of kit I have ever worn on the bike in cold wet weather.

I gave the old orange one away and got a yellow one. And cheap.....not approved at work anymore, they updated.:wink:

There are other fine Canadian "Mustang" brand jackets/pants and suits that are perfectly good for riding in cold wet weather. But I shop at the commercial fishermen's supply stores for a lot of other "oily" products that work well for motorcycles. Cheaper too without the "motorcycle" premium.:wink:
  19. Rango

Rango Phaneropter

Oddometer:
    Tachometers work on marine engines as well as on motorcycles. In fact they also work on lawnmower engines.
    Therefore it is entirely possible when entering a shop to be taken for the lawnmower. :rofl
  20. GPrairie_Rider

GPrairie_Rider Dirt Junkie

Oddometer:
    Got this one today on my Fathers Day ride with Dad:

Hipster Douchebag: You guys going and looking for some dirt today?

Dad: Ummmm, no just out for a ride.

HD: Kinda hot.

Me: Me thinking under my breath; No shit, plus where are we gonna find dirt in the middle of Dallas. :huh

Chris