HPN Paris Dakar replica

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by adventure950, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the advantage of being computer challenged. Most tutorials are written by people who live, eat and breath computers. That renders them almost useless to most of us.

:dunno
  2. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Jake....check with these doodes. A guy named Alois helped me out with my bracket. I sent him some pics and model history, mine was a '99. But they may be able to help....but you'll pay for it.!:evil
  3. adventure950

adventure950 Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks for that link I will give them a go tchus jake.
  4. adventure950

adventure950 Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer:
    Whatever you do - Don't get ideas - I did and now I'm broke with along way to go and no bike to ride - just keep an empty head its much easier.
  5. ontic

ontic

Oddometer:
    nice work,
    and I'm glad you are figuring out image hosting as once you get it, you'll keep it, and it would be a shame if this thread disappeared.

Your brake issue looks like it is going to be a little tricky but not all that hard.
    Sorry if you have said it somewhere but what front wheel are you using? Does it have the 'standard' (KTM or other brand) bolt pattern or anything like that- ie is there a new off the shelf 320mm rotor that will just bolt up? If there is then I reckon you are most of the way there.

Once you get the 320mm rotor on, for relocating your caliper you could just make a couple of brackets-

one of them would be a plate that goes over the front/top like this (the black one with 'motard' written on it)
    [​IMG]

and then the trickier bit- assuming that you don't need to change the depth of the caliper for your new rotor, you'd need to get your fork lug profile copied, probably by milling it into a bit of aluminium of the same thickness as your fork lug.

obviously this is the profile that matters so that the caliper can fit into the new bracket.
    [​IMG]

If you have to pay for someone to mill it for you, then really, all you would need to do is get that profile milled into a bit of appropriately thick bit of metal- maybe also get the two caliper bolt holes exactly copied.
    You could then do the overall shaping of the bracket, and drilling of the last two holes (that bolt to the other^^ relocation plate) in your own time after test fitting it all up.

I hope that makes sense. Ideally someone like 'HE' will have a relocation bracket for you, but with forks that old I somehow doubt it.

removable custom luggage racks, removable pillion seat- although we are doing very different builds we are following some very similar lines- :clap
    cheers,
  6. adventure950

adventure950 Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer:
    Ontic thanks for your picture and advise that is great and something like I had in mind. I have had a fully floating 320 brake rotor made as a 1 off in Sweden - best quality I could get although there was a slightly cheaper 320 non floating disc from another source available but the alignment of the disc remains the same as the original so like you say its simply a point of moving everything back a set amount. Your picture has made it easier actually as it involved a plate then a spacer for the top mount - I had in mind having to mill this but the set up you have shown should work fine - and I have a mate with a small cnc milling machine so it should not be a major problem thanks. Jake.
  7. adventure950

adventure950 Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer:
    The brake issue I hope is resolved, most the companies I contacted could help but it meant buying a new caliper to fit the relocation bracket they supplied this could also have caused a difference in the offsetting of the disc so a mate is using a small cnc machine to make one for me from a piece of billet alluminium, he has done the drawings so hopefully that will be machined in the next week or so. Most of you will have seen Patta's gs sidecar build thread ( http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=762454 ) he has been working in the same workshop as me - although he has managed to get his finished and away from the workshop before he sets off round the world in ta few month after a quick jaunt down to the Sahara.
  8. adventure950

adventure950 Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer:
    no pictures - i forgot to take the camera - but was down at the workshop yesterday cut and re shaped the pipes for the exhaust which has allowed me to get a better rise on the end cans so they now sweep upwards a bit and follow the lines of the sub frame - down rails, also started extending and re shaping the center stand and am trying to work out a side stand. The side stand is a real issue as I do not really want one off the front engine mount but putting it further back (as its longer than standard with the extra height of the bike ) starts interfering with the center stand operation and exhaust. I will be back down the workshop this week so should get some pics if I can.
  9. adventure950

adventure950 Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer:
    I am getting very close to the pre finish - finish if that makes sense, I need to take out the spare engine and gearbox and fit my other one that has been built up for this bike, That done do a dry test run to ensure everything fits and works as it should. Then I will be ready for a final strip down powder coat and paintwork the chassis will be bavarian blue and the bodywork a mix of white and bavarian blue then it will need a full re build with all the new parts (bearings bolts, oil, brake and fuel lines etc etc). This week I cut and re shaped the exhaust pipework to get the exhausts into the position I want them to run, I now need to fit the exhaust/footrest Hangers to the sub frame - to support the silencers. that in essence is all the welding and fabrication complete. I have taken a photo of the bike together with many of the main components in place (not the front fairing) and I am still waiting for the 320mm front brake disc to arrive from Sweden. but the photoo shows the new re shaped exhaust - this is polished stainless steel but I will probably be getting this recoated in satin black ceramic finish.The bevelbox will be overhauled,and a few other minor jobs
    [​IMG]
  10. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Love the seat, rack & exhausts - always preferred the smaller tanks for looks but not for practicality. The blue & white will look great. Keep the pics coming
  11. adventure950

adventure950 Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer:
    Hi Padmei cheers again for the comments, the bike stands quite a bit bigger than a standard gs - i have 33 inch inside leg and am on tip toes - the standard gs tank looks like a pea on a drum on this thing it just looks wrong. These big tanks are ugly but to me they look purposeful - and fits the size of this bike it really has an aggressive stance about it when your up close more so without the barn door of a fairing that I will be fitting, but its built for a purpose and some of the places I have traveled and will be travelling too have huge distances without ready access to fuel so for that the tank works really well. Cheers again Jake.
  12. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes. :evil Looking good.
  13. rediRrakaD

rediRrakaD Whoopdie do Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really like the subframe upgrade!
    Well done.

Cheers,
    S.
  14. Infracaninophile

Infracaninophile Finding My Way..

Oddometer:
    +500. One of the best threads in the last year. :clap

Tom.
  15. adventure950

adventure950 Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone for all the kind comments, its been a long road getting to this point, I just hope that it all comes together on the road when riding the bugger.I am sure the suspension may take a bit of fettling once at that stage but hopefully there wont be to many snags otherwise. Tchus Jake.
  16. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:
    Very nice, it`ll be great when the job`s finished, (is it ever finished?); a lot more radical looking than mine`s going to look.
  17. Velocipede

Velocipede Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Absolutely great,love it.Can't wait to see the finished product.

John
  18. Klisterman

Klisterman Klisterman

Oddometer:
    Hi Jake. I've followed the build with enthusiasm, it's really coming together into a purposeful looking machine. I'm gathering parts for something similar using two old RT models as donor bikes, so my work is cut out :wink: I was wondering about the specification details of your Wilbers shocks, plus availablity/cost etc. It seems the WP units I was after are no longer available and HPN never respond to calls etc. Any help or info greatly appreciated. Kind regards, Nick.
  19. adventure950

adventure950 Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer:
    Hi Nick I have sent you a pm with my telephone number give me a ring and we can chat and I will give you as much advice as I can, I may be able to help you with one or two parts or technical details also. cheers Jake.
  20. adventure950

adventure950 Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer:
    Well she is all back together and I fired her up yesterday - started almost straight away need to adjust a few things and sort out a few small issues then she will be ready for the test ride - but ISR in Sweden still have not supplied the front disc I ordered ( a 320mm fully floating damped disc) been 8 weeks now so till that arrives I cant really get on and ride her. I hope that I should be ready to go by next week if the disc arrives - test ride her from the workshop to home (40 miles) strip her down and off to the paintshop with all the parts. Nearly at the end.