User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2006, 09:38 PM   #1
holycaveman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,387
Mefo dual sport tires.

I just put a set of mefo tires on. They seem like very good quality! On road they are great, especially compared to the 606's I've been running. Front tire hooks up just as well as the 606 off road. Rear works surprisingly well in grass(better than the 606!!) Lacks alittle in the mud, but what do you expect. So far its been great, about 700 miles on them, the tits are still on the front and rear. Hopfully I'll get the claimed milage out of them(14,000).

I knew they were not a knobbie, but they are working better than I thought for a high mileage tire! Just thought I would pass on the info. I have tried many differant tires, and are not completely happy with any. And all have dissapointed me in mileage.

http://www.klr650.com/MEFO%20Sport%20Tires.htm

Thease tires are more agressive than they look in the photos! Rear tire has realy deep knobs, looks very long lasting. But on pavement this thing corners great!!! Can't say enough about on road handling(remember though I am comming off of knobbies)

I am going to post some mud handling photos to show you how they work there also. Obviously hardpack they would work great. Its the slick stuff that always worries us. Front end still slides out on slick mud, defenatly is not a knobbie. But as I said before the front is about the same as the 606 off road, but alot better on road!
holycaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:53 PM   #2
Pangeist
Autodidact Polymath

Oddometer: 165
Thumb

I was just trying to find out about these, thanks for the info. They look like great tires. I was hoping to find something like this, as it seems like a nice middle ground for "adventouring".
Old 03-05-2006, 09:58 PM   #3
holycaveman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I was just trying to find out about these, thanks for the info. They look like great tires. I was hoping to find something like this, as it seems like a nice middle ground for "adventouring".
Yea thats what I was thinking also!

Old 03-05-2006, 10:23 PM   #4
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,539
is that the only place to get these tires? i think i may give them a shot.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:37 PM   #5
Motoplaner
PNW Heel Rounder

Oddometer: 20,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by holycaveman
Hopfully I'll get the claimed milage out of them(14,000).
14,000 MILES? Where can we find that claim?
Old 03-05-2006, 11:11 PM   #6
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer: 4,687
Wow some of those other street-legal MEFO tires look awesome. Now gotta find some dealers.
potatoho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 11:51 PM   #7
holycaveman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
These are the tires Team Squirrel Off Road uses and has enabled them to beat many records for long rides through the artic circle and deserts of America.

Who knows? its just rumured, couldn't find anything on team squirrel. Call the guy up and ask him! He is very nice and would probably tell you.

I will say that the tire has a very tough carcus. As far as where to get them, I don't know except for the above dealer. They treated me good and had them to my door for 176 dollars. Took a month though because they were out of stock. Now they have them. They were good enough to tell me when they were comming and keep me updated . They are catching on though and I don't know how long they will have them instock.

Old 03-06-2006, 12:03 AM   #8
Motoplaner
PNW Heel Rounder

Quote:
Who knows? its just rumured, couldn't find anything on team squirrel. Call the guy up and ask him! He is very nice and would probably tell you.
I will say that the tire has a very tough carcus. As far as where to get them, I don't know except for the above dealer. They treated me good and had them to my door for 176 dollars. Took a month though because they were out of stock. Now they have them. They were good enough to tell me when they were comming and keep me updated . They are catching on though and I don't know how long they will have them instock.
Then why are you touting 14,000 miles as a given? I suspect a common conversion error. km/miles. Probably more like 14,000 km. If thatís the case, no big deal. 606ís will do that cheaper and probably better. Claims like this must be backed up. I will call nobody.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:51 AM   #9
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoplaner
Then why are you touting 14,000 miles as a given? I suspect a common conversion error. km/miles. Probably more like 14,000 km. If thatís the case, no big deal. 606ís will do that cheaper and probably better. Claims like this must be backed up. I will call nobody.
14000km no big deal!!!!! That's 8805 miles "to you and me Rusty".
I'd like to see the 606's with that many miles on them!
Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 11:17 AM   #10
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoplaner
See above post...no chance the 606 is getting 8,000 miles....ever
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 12:11 AM   #11
holycaveman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
14,000 MILES? Where can we find that claim?
Other peolpe I have heard of getting this mileage. One guy from klr650.net said he has 6,000 miles so far on them, and about 50percent tread left. I imagine where and how you ride would descide the mileage.

Personally if I can get 7,000 out of a good 50/50 tread I will be stoked!! I have tried about every good tire out there and average around 3500 before I feel it nessasary to replace them. I have ran: tkc80's, sahara 111, michelen tx66, dunlop 606, duro's, kenda 270, cheng shen 755, maxis 6006 and I am sure I forgot a couple. The kenda's wore the best, but they scared me on pavement! Continental's were the best all around tire, but only 3500miles
Old 03-06-2006, 12:17 AM   #12
holycaveman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hey, don't worry, don't buy them. I just was passing info that I have learned. I will tell you the final mileage some day! 606's, the last set the front wore out in 2500miles(sure I brake hard) but the back wore out 1000 later!

Point is I haven't found a good wearing / handleing tire yet! So I am giving thease a try, before I waste even more money. Maybe they will last only 1000miles? At least I will know. But so far a few people that I have heard that are running thease are saying expect alot of mileage out of them.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:17 AM   #13
Motoplaner
PNW Heel Rounder

Quote:
Other peolpe I have heard of getting this mileage. One guy from klr650.net said he has 6,000 miles so far on them, and about 50percent tread left. I imagine where and how you ride would descide the mileage.

Personally if I can get 7,000 out of a good 50/50 tread I will be stoked!! I have tried about every good tire out there and average around 3500 before I feel it nessasary to replace them. I have ran: tkc80's, sahara 111, michelen tx66, dunlop 606, duro's, kenda 270, cheng shen 755, maxis 6006 and I am sure I forgot a couple. The kenda's wore the best, but they scared me on pavement! Continental's were the best all around tire, but only 3500miles
Cool. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:09 AM   #14
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,682
Quote:
I'd say you got us all beat on 'try and try again'.

Question: I just put a TKC on front and MAXXIS C5006 on rear. one of them is really 'singing' loudly at highway speed [right around 70 it is at loudest] kind of a high-pitched whistle-meets-shriek.

is that the Maxxis talking to me?

z
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:46 AM   #15
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,840
Quote:
Continental's were the best all around tire, but only 3500miles
How, in your opinion, do the Mefos compare with the TKC80s? On and off road. Look forward to your response. Thanks.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote