User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2006, 11:40 AM   #1
805gregg OP
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,520
Highland Motors

Check out the new bikes from Highland of Sweden at www.highland.se look at the outback 936cc v-twin at 370 lbs.
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 02:03 PM   #2
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,357
They may be new to you but Highland have been around for some time now.

More about them here;

http://www.highland-motorcycles.co.uk/
Old 04-12-2006, 07:10 PM   #3
jehu
∩HƏſ

Oddometer: 3,660
I like the dirt tracker.
jehu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 09:47 AM   #4
GODSPEED
finger lickin' good

Oddometer: 2,076
Man, this is what we need. A 370# twin DS with good suspension, decent fuel range. Oh how I wish they were here in the US. Then I could find a used one for sale. I thought that they went out of business; good to still see them around.

Highland Desert Storm

I'd rather do it than watch it.

Those of you with spouse and SO's know this already, but man give them a big hug, and don't take anything foregranted. - MACK RIP

When 51% of the grasshoppers vote, the ants are screwed.

http://godspeed.smugmug.com/Motorcycles
GODSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 10:08 AM   #5
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,206
There was a used one on ebay not too long ago - they were imported to the us in small numbers. IIRC they have been around since at least 97 (with the big, light twin cylinder dual sport). Never really sold too well though.
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 10:42 AM   #6
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,139
I do believe they took two husaberg singles to make the twin motor. If anything like a Husaberg be ready for frequent valve checks .
Sweet bikes, not sure on the reliability.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 05:54 AM   #7
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,655
testimonial

from http://news.motorcycle.com/article.m...nested&thold=1

Re: Adventure Touring: Go There, Go Anywhere (Score: 2, Insighful)
By stapleking on Monday, July 11 2005 @ 05:11:18 PDT
(User Info | Send a Message)
Interesting comparo; I have just returned from Sweden where I had an opportunity to compare the [unavailable in the U.S.] Highland 950 V-twin adventure bikes with the KTM 950 offering during several hours of rural Swedish back-road bashing. The KTM is indeed nicely refined and rides much lighter and nimbler than its size and heft would indicate. Having said that, the unexpectedly high vibration levels at any and all engine speeds were annoying and curious in light of the twin balance shaft architecture of the motor.

However, the Highland, in all 3 iterations [Motard, Allroad, and Adventure] simply blows the KTM away. Sportbike HP, coupled with dirtbike torque and racebike handling makes an unreal package. And, little vibration from a non-balance shaft V-twin which, by the way, is the lightest currently on the planet. The entire bike is a [relative] feather-weight at 360 lbs., dry. If I had a complaint, it is that the Highland is a little too "racy" - not surprising since it is the product of a partnership of ex-motocross and speedway racing stars and engineers from the halycon days of Husqvarna and Husaberg. The seat, peg and bar ergonomics work to push you forward over the tank with elbows splayed and on your toes. Great in the dirt but less so at high speed on pavement. Having said that, on a "technical" road course such a Louden, I would bet my Vanson leather suit I could lap faster on the Highland than on my full-race Buell Thunderbike class machine. As for canyon dicing, it would give a current liter-class sportbike fits.

Oh, I forgot to mention, the price is obscene [$16K], even in Europe, but it IS basically a hand-built homolgation special that employs all the best bits available for every single function screwed together by guys who know how these hybrid bikes are supposed to work.
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:47 PM   #8
SATEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,252
Submitted without comment. It looks cool, but it's an orphan.
'03 KTM 640AdvR - Sold, and I miss her
Several other KTMs, Suzukis, etc.
SATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:37 PM   #9
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,546
Too bad. Cool bike.

Interesting that the guy that posted had a few for sale & this one appeared this week. Like I said, I've never seen it there. The counterkid said he didn't know why they brought it back out on the floor.
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:43 AM   #10
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
So I've had a go on the KTM 990 Adventure

KTM 990 Adventure

Not everyone gets the chance to try one of these back to back with a Highland, so how did it go? Remember the Outback is a couple of years out of date (manufactured í05) but itís an interesting comparison anyway.

First impressions of the 990 Ė how sophisticated, reasonable seat height for 18r and 21f tyres, same Pirelli Scorpions as the Highland. Twin tanks, why? Lots of plastic, wouldnít want to drop it. Starts first touch from cold and idles cleanly.

All controls where you expect them, easy clutch, quiet gear change. No vibes, beautiful, first impression as you take off, feels like a Honda Africa.

Suspension works well, no clattering over bumps and pot holes, steers evenly.

Opening up no immediate power until 4000 and an annoying hunting at steady speed and low throttle, hmm.

Open up, power in plenty really gets up and goes as the revs rise, not manic but a nice well sorted linear progression to 9000 Ė didnít go over that as only just over 1000 miles on odometer. Red line to just over 9500.

Really good aerodynamics Ė despite a windy, blustering day went up to 100 nice and stable. Then up to 120 in top but seemed to run out of puff in the wind but very creditable for such a high bike. For comparison the Highland struggled to 110 on the same piece of road 30 minutes later (new engine running in but I donít expect much more).

Fuel light came on and put in £5 to get back in left hand tank. Shit fuel light stayed on. Went off some 5 minutes later when (I think) fuel flowed into the right hand tank with the sender unit. A posh bike like this should have a fuel gauge.

So handling was smooth and predictable, no surprises, but no real chucking about (itís not my bike).

Brakes twin discs on front enough power but would like more feel. Rear did some funny stuff as though some thing was catching particularly when layed over in low speed turn control situation, strange, it looked ok and had nothing loose. (later: wonder if it was the abs as it felt like it was pushing back)

Good looking bike, instruments clear and easy to read. But I look round and I wonder how long all the panels and strange placed ancillaries would survive in a rugged adventure environment.

Servicing every 4000 miles with cam check every 12000, lots of bodywork to remove and I understand quite expensive.

Comparison

Highland Outback

KTM 990 Adventure

Engine

Rough as a bears ass

Smooth linear

Torque

Instant pull from low revs

A little soft at the bottom

Power

Does not continue up

Superb when revved

Handling

Lighter weight. Can really throw it around

Stable but more ponderous

Suspension comfort

Top on rough

Top on road

Seat

I know itís there

What seat?

Aerodynamics

Barn door

Dolphin

Brakes

Spot on

No complaints
Includes ABS

Starting

10 stabs then wait to warm up

Push and go

Instruments

Old fashioned, basic

Much better

Of the bike

Easy to push round and pick up. Does not damage easily

Has centre stand. Heavy to pick up, expensive to drop

Maintenance

Easy until main 10000 service. 20 minute oil and filter. Clearances donít move

Has centre stand but apart from wheels, tyres brakes are easy. I donít like the look of all that plastic

Price

Pick one up for 4grand

Twice that

If anyone is going to make the most of Highland it has start with the engine. Twin inlet to release the top end power a little more weight in the flywheel to improve the smoothness. Frame to improve access (although KTM donít seem to bother). Some improvements to the aerodynamics and looks. That would do me Ė light, fast and nimble. Needs major work to make the most of that super light and torquey motor. Folan have a 1200 version but I donít think itís needed.

Do I want a KTM Adventure? Nice modern long distance iron, but I would want the new one next year and then the next etc etc. Not enough character for me to keep and a real money pump.

Please remember this is just a couple of hours ago and not the product of a thoughtful measured assessment.

John in Leeds screwed with this post 02-28-2008 at 12:27 PM
John in Leeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:34 AM   #11
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,357
A very interesting comparison John, thanks for taking the time to do it for us
Old 03-01-2008, 08:06 AM   #12
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Thanks John in Leeds

Seems like from that little comparison, The KTM is the Gold Wing of the D/S world, and the Highland is the KLX650R of the 950cc D/S world.
Well it seems that ATK is serious about this venture, I hope they pull it off, would be awesome to have truely affordable dirt capabe v-twin. But I doubt it will be affordable with the whole dollar to euro thing.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:54 AM   #13
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish
Seems like from that little comparison, The KTM is the Gold Wing of the D/S world, and the Highland is the KLX650R of the 950cc D/S world.
Well it seems that ATK is serious about this venture, I hope they pull it off, would be awesome to have truely affordable dirt capabe v-twin. But I doubt it will be affordable with the whole dollar to euro thing.
Interesting comparison, all I would say is that the power and torque potential of the Highland is just a tad more than the KLX. The price potential is also very good, especially is the only import into the US is the engine. Made in the US could generate serious money from export back to Europe and the rest of the world. The potential is there but who can realise it?
John in Leeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:49 AM   #14
Speeddog830
Interloper

Oddometer: 84
John, thanks for an outstanding thread!

Any way I could convince you to crate that scooter up and ship it to me?
Trade you my GC for it.

'02 Ducati Monster S4 - Too many mods to list...

'99 Cagiva Gran Canyon - TKC 80's, Euro blinkers, 16t front sprocket, ProTaper CR High bars
Speeddog830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:20 PM   #15
Thumber
Sweden

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Leeds
What a nice windscreen John. What kind and how did you fasten it to the bike? Closeups please? I found out from post #108 that it is from Airblade. What make and modell is it?
Thumber is offline   Reply With Quote