User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2006, 09:56 AM   #1
erappaport OP
pray for rain

Oddometer: 276
Question Elefant Sightings?

Any Cagiva Elefants out there? last saw one (With a Ducati Badge) on the floor of my local dealer about 12 years ago. Since then, no word or sightings, and I've gotten intrigued as I ponder upsizing my dualsport fleet. The dealer is long gone, so no help there.
erappaport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 12:01 PM   #2
grisezd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
There's one in Ohio, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erappaport
Any Cagiva Elefants out there? last saw one (With a Ducati Badge) on the floor of my local dealer about 12 years ago. Since then, no word or sightings, and I've gotten intrigued as I ponder upsizing my dualsport fleet. The dealer is long gone, so no help there.
I've got one, a '94 in a glorious mid-80's Buick shade of maroon. The color is the only thing I don't like about it. The local dealer wouldn't help if he was within a million miles. Ducati don't support it even if the dealer gave a damn. Fortunately there's a fine email list and lots of online resources. Good mechanics aren't hard to find, as it's basically a Monster motor with some modification to the rear of the case. Brake parts, etc. are just motorcycle parts. The only thing that is hard to find is plastic. And if you can't stand the color anyway...
grisezd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 01:30 PM   #3
Gustavo
Motociclista Errante

Oddometer: 2,286
I know where there is what could be considered a whole herd of them. Surprisingly, most actually even run.

But none are for sale, so I don't think it really helps you.

Gustavo
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 02:11 PM   #4
erappaport OP
pray for rain

Oddometer: 276
Thumb

Thanks.. This post was driven by curiosity as much as any immediate plan to buy, so no need to lock your garage just yet. I just hadn't heard anything about themse bikes in years, and wondered how many were actually around. I guess that, much like the transalp and AT, this was a bike nobody wanted when they were available in the US. Silly people.
erappaport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 02:35 PM   #5
Gustavo
Motociclista Errante

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
I guess that, much like the transalp and AT, this was a bike nobody wanted when they were available in the US. Silly people.
Well.... I am not sure it's the same. At least to me the issues with buying an Elefant (or Gran Canyon for that matter) were not the same as when considering a Transalp or TDM. The fear of being left with an "orphan" bike with the Italian bikes was real, and as it turned out, pretty well justified. It's not just that that specific model isn't imported anymore, the whole dealer network was (in some cases still is) non-existant.

Sure, some parts are interchangeable with Ducatis, but not all are, and until you had the list figured out, it was hard to find the right parts. Not to mention that if you needed soemthing that was bike specific, you were SOL, even if your buddy Luca was willing to comb the Italian countryside for those parts. And that's a real shame, because these were some of the best Adventure Touring bikes around at the time. Heck, I know a nicely modified Elefant 900 that would give a run for it's money to many of the newer bikes.

Just need to remember to check the oil more often than on a V-Strom...

Gustavo

Gustavo screwed with this post 05-26-2006 at 09:07 PM
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 02:43 PM   #6
DesmoHead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Here is mine Pretty fun bike, just wish it had a better seat
DesmoHead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:21 PM   #7
bongodave
Join my cult!

Oddometer: 39,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo
Well.... I am not sure it's the same. At least to me the issues with buying an Elefant (or Gran Canyon for that matter) were not the same as when considering a Transalp or TDM. The fear of being left with an "orphan" bike with the Italian bikes was real, and as it turned out, pretty well justified. It's not just that that specific model isn't imported anymore, the whole dealer network was (in some cases still is) non-existant.

Sure, some parts are interchangeable with Ducatis, but not all are, and until you had the list figured out, it was hard to find the right parts. Not to mention that if you needed soemthing that was bike specific, you were SOL, even if your buddy Luca was willing to comb the Italian countryside for those parts. And that's a real shame, because these were some of the best Adventure Touring bikes around at the time. Heck, I know a nicely modified Elefant 900 that would give a run for it's money to many of the newer bikes.

Just need to remember to check the oil more often than on a V-Strom...

Gustavo
Mine looked just like that! A '94.
bongodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:40 PM   #8
High Hope
World's Best Dog

Oddometer: 8,039
Quote:
Erappaport, are you looking at one in Maine? It seems that when it rains it pours, 'cause I've come across one too. They look beautiful, but I am thrown off a bit by the orphan status of them too. PM me on what has come up.
High Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:56 AM   #9
robsmoto
Motorcycleton

Oddometer: 328
Mine is an 87 Cagiva E-650 with the Duc Pantah motor. The white frame takes a bit of work to keep clean. It is a heavy bike with a lovely sound and a fair amount of zip. At the ton the high fender will make things start to get a bit squirrelly.
robsmoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:24 AM   #10
DesmoHead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by robsmoto
Mine is an 87 Cagiva E-650 with the Duc Pantah motor. The white frame takes a bit of work to keep clean. It is a heavy bike with a lovely sound and a fair amount of zip. At the ton the high fender will make things start to get a bit squirrelly.
What exhaust is that? Mine has a spark arrestor on it but something that lets a little more sound out could be nice. Another question, does your chain rub on the top of the swingarm? Mine is rubbing and I am trying to figure out something I could put on the swingarm for it to rub instead of the metal
DesmoHead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:24 PM   #11
robsmoto
Motorcycleton

Oddometer: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoHead
What exhaust is that?

Another question, does your chain rub on the top of the swingarm? Mine is rubbing and I am trying to figure out something I could put on the swingarm for it to rub instead of the metal
I think that it is a Conti muffler. The previous owner said that he had to wait several months to get it after it was ordered (he worked at a Duc shop). It has a very rich, mellow, deep sound. I've had the bike about 10 years. Today the PO asked me if I'd sell the bike back to him... no way!!!

The original chain slider that protects the swingarm wore out last summer. I made a replacement using some thin sheets of nylon and plastic. Seems to be working ok.

I had a leaking oil sight glass last fall. I couldn't find a replacement one for the Pantah moter anywhere in the USA. Finally a place in Oz called Road and Race had plenty of spares. That's where I'll order the non-standard Duc stuff henceforth.
http://www.roadandrace.com.au/
robsmoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:35 PM   #12
Duck900
Highway Man

Oddometer: 11
here's one

I think I incluced a picture or 3 of my elefant (sorry, first post). I just bought it a few months ago at the Kawasaki dealer. I was wanting a KLR for $5k, but the duc was much less. Loads of fun and simple to work on. Letko cycles in Kansas City supports them, but other Ducati dealer don't know and don't care. There is a great online community at http://www.elefantman.com/ If you are inclined to do your own maintenance the guys on the list will know more than you local dealer.
Mike
West Texas
Attached Images

Duck900 screwed with this post 08-08-2007 at 08:46 PM
Duck900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:35 AM   #13
Fantman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Exhaust on 650 Elefant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoHead
What exhaust is that? Mine has a spark arrestor on it but something that lets a little more sound out could be nice. Another question, does your chain rub on the top of the swingarm? Mine is rubbing and I am trying to figure out something I could put on the swingarm for it to rub instead of the metal
That is a Toeff World Exhaust. I have one on my 650 Elefant. Toeff is no longer in business as far as I know.

Ken
Fantman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:54 PM   #14
BlueRider
Stromin' Alaska

Oddometer: 101
Alaska Elefant

I've sure been enjoying this thread after riding my 87 for 10years plus now. She blows a little oil these days and I have to kick start it, but it's always worth it. Keep the faith Brothers. Hope this old PC can send this out.
Attached Images

BlueRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:22 AM   #15
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 3,020
sent it fine blue,,,,,

kilt, mine doesnt auto retract either, sucks you dropped it but i guess you got it out of the way. i hope the engine doesnt turn into a problem.
2 SPOT is online now   Reply With Quote