User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2006, 08:32 AM   #1
Twin headlight Ernie OP
bar napkin engineering

Oddometer: 1,406
R1200GS Adventure & HP2 skidplates

Hi Guys, Just wanted to let you know that I have engine skidplates and centerstand skidplates ready for the R1200GS ADV as well as engine skidplates ready for the HP2. They look just like the skidplates I already make for the R1200GS but are sized to fit each model. They are made from 1/8" 3000 series aluminum and are hand fabricated and TIG welded.

The standard skidplate set in natural aluminum with shipping included in the USA runs $210.00.
I also make a extra tall front lip option that runs an additional $30.00.
The powdercoat option runs an additional $40.00 and takes about two weeks lead time.

I try to keep my products on the shelf all ready to ship and have very fast turnaround on the special order parts as well.
I'm a one man shop start to finish so I'm the only one you'll have to work with.

I have pictures of my products on my smugmug at: www.twinheadlighternie.smugmug.com Lot of other cool bike pictures there too.
It's best to reach me at: dakotabeemer@hotmail.com or you can try to catch me by phone at 507-643-8888.

Thanks for your support.
Ernie
(2HE)

Twin headlight Ernie screwed with this post 04-21-2011 at 05:06 AM
Twin headlight Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:25 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,842
Ernie does great work and at very reasonable prices..

here's the picture of the skid plate and center stand plate for the 1200GS Adventure

Email Ernie directly, do not PM him, he's not on this site every hour like some of us... Ernie: dakotabeemer@hotmail.com

GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:29 PM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,842
Stock plate vs. Ernie's GS skid plate

GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:02 PM   #4
Twin headlight Ernie OP
bar napkin engineering

Skidplates

Thanks for posting the pictures for me G.B. My web master (15 year old daughter) is out of town with friends on vacation. I've been asked if I can make the skidplates without the holes. Yes I can. Not a problem. The engine skidplate runs $120.00 and the centerstand skidplates run $50.00. I'll even knock off $10.00 for the guys that want the engine plate without the holes. I can be reached at dakotabeemer@hotmail.com. Thanks Ernie
Old 06-30-2006, 02:07 PM   #5
Twin headlight Ernie OP
bar napkin engineering

R1200GS skidplates

Hey Geoffrey, Just wanted to let you know that your skidplates went out today UPS. You should have them on monday. Thank you. Ernie
Old 07-01-2006, 01:08 PM   #6
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
Just a bump and an atta boy for Ernie. I bought one of his engine skid plates for my 12GS and it's class A no.1 workmanship!
usgser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:34 AM   #7
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,142
fitting with remus header

has anyone fit one of ernie's engine plates with a remus header? mine doesn't want to fit.

i assumed the remus headers followed the same path as the oem pipes but it appears they are wider.
dlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:44 AM   #8
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,190
Yes...Just bend the sides out a little....no problem....you could take a couple of pieces of strap steel, angle iron, etc, clamp with c-clamps or vice grips and bend uniformly...I took the crude approach of using a rubber mallet. I like the "Ridden and Used" look. Worked fine.
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:05 AM   #9
airansun
Ride Wet!

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlew
has anyone fit one of ernie's engine plates with a remus header? mine doesn't want to fit.

i assumed the remus headers followed the same path as the oem pipes but it appears they are wider.

I fit my Ernie's plate on my R1200GS, which has a full Remus setup. While the plate sides come close to the header pipes, they don't touch. At first, I thought I would have a problem, but it bolted up okay with no modification.

My only regret is that the front plate lip doesn't come up higher - I no longer have a cross-over pipe there! Due to the welds, I am not inclined to try to bend that front lip upwards.

Good luck!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
airansun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:00 AM   #10
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,142
thanks for the replies!!
dlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:05 PM   #11
MANXMAN
Overlander

Oddometer: 1,550
Sump Re-design

Ernie,

I am interested in getting your engine skid plate for my GS1200 Adventure. But I see that BMW has done a 3rd sump re-design* on the GS1200. The latest being in mid March 2007. Does your engine skid plate fit this latest change?

Thanks,
Manxman

*found this info on the Touratech site
MANXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 03:45 PM   #12
Twin headlight Ernie OP
bar napkin engineering

skidplates

Hi Guys, Just got back from the BMW national. Met a large group of the ADV guys there and had a great time. Thanks to everyone that came by my vending booth for a purchase or just to say Hi. One of the last things I did on saturday was install three skidplate setups. Two were on new R1200GS adventures and one on a standard model. I assume all of them were darn close to new because they were very clean. No problems with the installations and far as I could tell no changes that affected the installations. I'd love to catch the wisdom on any changes that may have taken place. Any information that can be sent my way would be appreciated. Thanks Ernie
Old 07-16-2007, 05:25 AM   #13
baggr99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin headlight Ernie
Hi Guys, Just got back from the BMW national. Met a large group of the ADV guys there and had a great time. Thanks to everyone that came by my vending booth for a purchase or just to say Hi. One of the last things I did on saturday was install three skidplate setups. Two were on new R1200GS adventures and one on a standard model. I assume all of them were darn close to new because they were very clean. No problems with the installations and far as I could tell no changes that affected the installations. I'd love to catch the wisdom on any changes that may have taken place. Any information that can be sent my way would be appreciated. Thanks Ernie
Hey Ernie, it was great meeting you on Saturday. I am the owner of the silver R1200GSA that you installed the skid plate. What a great product!! Thanks again..
baggr99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:52 PM   #14
GSKolenda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Question

Ernie,

I'm considering a Skid Plate and Centerstand Plate for my 06 R1200 GS. I'm also considering installing a full Remus exhaust including the header which eliminates the crossover pipe, are they any issues with either of your plates and the header pipe from Remus? Also I'm thinking about getting it powder coated, would powder coating hold up any better than paint? Hey, maybe jet hot coated? I ride 95% city and slab.

GSKolenda
Old 08-20-2007, 03:15 PM   #15
Twin headlight Ernie OP
bar napkin engineering

skidplates

Hi there, When I was at the BMW national a few weeks back I installed a couple of skidplates on Remus equiped bikes. I make the skidplates 1/2" wider to fit the pipes. I was vending right next door to the Remus truck. Great bunch of guys. They installed over twenty exhaust systems on thursday alone. Just be sure to let me know you have a remus equiped bike when you order. Thanks for your interest. 2HE

My Smugmug:
http://twinheadlighternie.smugmug.com/

Dakota Motorsports