User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2006, 10:06 PM   #1
COBAUM OP
How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer: 136
KLX650 riders UNITE

OK. I am a KLR650 rider. The KLX650 always intrigued me. From what I read, it is the county road brother of the KLR. Not many around, but a VERY loyal (maybe delusional) following. I came across a KLX650 that was owned by the Colorado Springs Police/Fire depts. Seems they took turns using it to patrol off road areas. One of the riders dropped it and cracked the case (hairline) right where the clutch rod enters the side case. So the clutch started sticking. Then, they started cannibalizing parts for the other patrol bikes. I bought it for ~$350 and after a close examination; it will take ~$500 to get it back to running and street legal. Add $175 if I cannot repair the side case.

So, I find that the only place to get good info is the yahoo KLX650 group. Why do you guys not hang out here? I hate the message board software yahoo uses. It is difficult to find info using the search function whereas here it is a breeze. Come on guys. This is a great site and a great place for KLX riders to hang out.

Don't be Hatin' - Kyle W
COBAUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 11:29 PM   #2
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,415
It's a lost cause. I have posted pictures twice of my KLX 650 and the mods I have made. Even tried veiled insults to the multitude of KLR owners explaining how they are inferiorer in every way. Get a couple of: "nice bike comments" then relegated to obscurity.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 06:24 AM   #3
sattara
Dzogchenpa

Oddometer: 129
There are a few of us here, but the size of this forum and the small number of KLX's make it less practical than a more focused setting like the yahoogroup for bike specific info.
Sat Tara
sattara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:25 AM   #4
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,274
They're pretty rare. I worked at a Kaw dealer when they were new. The dealer had 1 that didn't sell for such a long time that he dropped the price so much that a guy in service dept picked it up and made a motard out of it. Never seen another.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 10:45 PM   #5
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,243
ok I had a yahoo ID once, forgot it.
man you stole that one, and an ex-cop bike. does it have any trick cop paint? Uzi/AK mount or something?
Old 08-19-2006, 10:55 PM   #6
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,375
S'pose a pic of one wouldn't hurt.
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:04 AM   #7
Fogo72
I Bleed Green

Oddometer: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
It's a lost cause. I have posted pictures twice of my KLX 650 and the mods I have made. Even tried veiled insults to the multitude of KLR owners explaining how they are inferiorer in every way. Get a couple of: "nice bike comments" then relegated to obscurity.

A few years on now and look at the thread, well done guys, keep these bikes alive.

Cheers Fogo...
Fogo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:19 PM   #8
translunar
aging boomer

Oddometer: 48
My KLX STORY

Two summers ago I bought a 96, KLX 650 for $2500.00 bucks. 7K miles or so on it. Aftermarkes muffler and a grease fitting in the fork head. PI put set of HD bark busters on, KLR handle bars and an alu. skid plate on her. What a bike !!
I than got a wild hair and sold it for $3200.00, bought a 2003, BMW F650 GS dakar. Low miles tons of Happy-Trail stuff on it. Rode it last summer. Ok bike but I longed for my KLX. I sold the BMW to a major that had just got back from the war. He loves it. The guy that bought my KLX had to bail off it to avois a head on with another bike on a single track, on a mountain side. The bike went down the side of the mountain, did a 360 in the air, landed upright and still running ( had boxs on it). The guy had to take the bike appart to get it up the mountain. I bought it back for $2000.00. Took a buddy and I 4 hours to put her back together. Put new TKC 80"s on her. Seat redont to black. Took the graphics off, made a bigger flat rack on the back. I love the bike, damnnnn!!!!.
One question for anyone out there (PM me). After getting the bike back and put together there is soot on the end of the muffler. There never was prior to selling it, and all the other stuff that happened to her. Any help out there ?
I put a thread up in thumpers, My friend Jeff has a 96 KLX 650 for sale here in Boise, Idaho. Custom black wheels, black seat. $2500 bucks.
Tom
translunar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:56 AM   #9
translunar
aging boomer

Oddometer: 48
Thumb Klx 650

I had sold my KLX 650 to buy a F 650 GS Dakar. Did not like the dakar, sold it and bought my KLX back. "I love that bike." Right now there are three KLX 650's for sale in Boise, idaho. Two in the paper ( Idaho Statesman ) and a friend has one for sale. I have TKC 80's on my bike, a white bros. muffler, alu. skid plate... what a great set up. Darn bike will climp a tree !! JUST WENT THROUGH ALL POSTS AND REALIZED I HAD PLACED ONE BEFORE. FORGOT I DID AND HAVE AN EXCAUSE ( I'M 60 NOW). PM ME... what plug goen in the KLX ???
Yew we need more KLX 650 people here on ADV RIDER !!

translunar screwed with this post 10-15-2006 at 09:26 AM
translunar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:14 AM   #10
dean-o
Dabs often

Oddometer: 804
tennessee checking in

i'm still here - red 95 C. i'll post a pic soon. anyone got a 39 or 40mm flat slide for sale?
dean
dean-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 08:41 PM   #11
Bikerguy1409
Bikerguy

Oddometer: 42
Hello fellow bikers.

Thought I'd post a picture of my bike, a 93 KLX 650. Pretty much stock except for a opened air box, rejetted, a ICat on the ingnition and a Lazer exhaust and a modified seat.. I current ride it more like a supermoto and less off road. This is a very good combination for this bike.
Attached Images

Bikerguy1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:33 PM   #12
yosso
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 933
KLX650 or XR650L...

Just found a older KLX650 (enduro) - good price, not too far away to go and see on a weekend.

Anyway, I was all set to spring for an older XR650L, when the above bike pops up on my search radar...a bit less money than the XR650L, but it's also a bit older and has more mileage.

My use for the bike would be dirt roads and fire trails - that's about it - probably some highway, probably won't commute (150 miles round trip) anytime soon on whichever bike I get, but you never know if diesel keeps going up in price, I might just bite the bullet. :)

So, any feedback on the two bikes, good or bad?

Thank you for your time.

M.
yosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:24 PM   #13
Doghouse_Riley
Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosso
Just found a older KLX650 (enduro) - good price, not too far away to go and see on a weekend.

Anyway, I was all set to spring for an older XR650L, when the above bike pops up on my search radar...a bit less money than the XR650L, but it's also a bit older and has more mileage.

My use for the bike would be dirt roads and fire trails - that's about it - probably some highway, probably won't commute (150 miles round trip) anytime soon on whichever bike I get, but you never know if diesel keeps going up in price, I might just bite the bullet. :)

So, any feedback on the two bikes, good or bad?

Thank you for your time.

M.
Are you looking at a KLX650C (factory street legal version) or a KLX650R (offroad version)?

I have both an XR650L and a KLX650R. They're both great bikes. My R kicks ass on the XRL in the dirt but is a total bitch on the highway. A KLX650C would be more comparable to an XRL. Problem is there ain't much aftermarket support for either version of the KLX. Much more for the XRL. So if the KLX is already configured the way you want it you're cool; if not you should check out whether the things you want are available for the KLX or be ready to fab it yourself.

Canis meus id comedit.
Doghouse_Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:24 PM   #14
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,415
KLX 680c

Been a while since I pimped my KLX, so I thought I would give it another shot.

I know what you are saying. Seen that picture. But it is what is under the hood that is important.

That is a Wossner, forged aluminum piston 102mm, giving 680cc more or less of fire breathing power.

Comparison with the stock piston:

Obvious shortened coated skirt. Also 76 gr lighter. Other than the difference in size, the top shares the same design as the stocker, so compression ratio should be the same.
The piston was purchased from LA sleeve, comlete with rings, pin and circlips for $185. They or the machinist of your choice can bore and hone for around $80 more.
Only 200 miles on it, so not prepared to announce the mother of all mods yet, but so far money well spent.
First thing I noticed is that there is a lot more tension in the #1 & 2 rings. I have used no oil. At steady state throttle, little vibration, get on the gas and you know it is a single however. Yes the exhaust is louder, in a lower menacing way. What you really notice is the increased torque between 3 and 6500rpm, especially in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear. Making passes, you would swear you were riding a larger displacement twin. With some larger intake valves this would be a real firebreather.
I will be off to DV, next week to further break it in and when I return I will do some runs on my local hill to compare roll on speeds against my prior runs on stock and prebore modified runs. I have already beaten the stock run on my 2/10 mile hill in the first 100 yds before I shut it down.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:49 PM   #15
BDKW1
KL"X" not "R"

Oddometer: 896
Hey ITSATDM, wher'd you get the red tank?

That sure would have been helpfull for the Christmas bike......

BDKW1 is offline   Reply With Quote