User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2006, 07:25 PM   #1
VascoMerlin OP
He'll Stab Your Cat

Oddometer: 413
KLR 650 Modifications

This thread is to be about what everyone has done with their klr. Besides the basic things (like the doohickey) What makes yours unique? What farkles did you like?
For example----
progressive front fork springs
new rear shock
nerf bars
highway bars
different exhaust systems
front fork bace
stainless steel brake lines
320 mm front rotor
corbin seat (or any after-market seat)
new handle bars
different headlight
new front fairing

just anything you have worked on, did you like it, would you have done it differently?

VascoMerlin screwed with this post 02-28-2012 at 09:15 AM
VascoMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:13 PM   #2
Chronus24
Space cowboy

Oddometer: 137
Mods

I think one of the best mods for the money was bar end vibration dampers. made a huge difference on the highway. Combined with a windshield-ectomy, it made high speed cruising infinately more tolerable.

Knobs for the dirty stuff - They do better on the pavement than street tires to in the dirt. I got Kendas. me likes'em

Supertrapp exhaust - I like the reduced weight more than the "increased" power. I think it is just an increase in noise. It is about time to repack them anyway.

Progressive springs - I don't weigh a real lot but they do make a difference. Not the first thing that needs to be done but if you have money burning a hole in your pocket, why not?

Next I am going to do a Trailtech Vapor dashboard and HID lights.

I believe the fork brace can do as much harm as good. I understand that it will definately change the handling of the bike, but I am not convinced that a KLR with stiffer forks is a better KLR. I would like to hear more opinions on this matter as I haven't ridden a KLR with the brace. Maybe I will fork(no pun intended) out the money just for an experiment.

"Here we are, trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why."
-Kurt Vonnegut
Chronus24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:32 PM   #3
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,699
Different footpegs. Something with teeth. I'm a poormofo so I put on pegs from a DR650. The best mod I've done. Now I can stand and ride in the dirt securely, wet or dry....

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
Different footpegs. Something with teeth. I'm a poormofo so I put on pegs from a DR650. The best mod I've done. Now I can stand and ride in the dirt securely, wet or dry....
+1 ... Replacing the stock pegs made a significant difference for me as well.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
tom c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
I bought metal pegs for my 2009 KLR on ebay for $15 included shipping:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-XR-50-...ht_1807wt_1170
Old 08-25-2006, 02:26 PM   #6
VascoMerlin OP
He'll Stab Your Cat

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkueur
I think one of the best mods for the money was bar end vibration dampers. made a huge difference on the highway. Combined with a windshield-ectomy, it made high speed cruising infinately more tolerable.

Knobs for the dirty stuff - They do better on the pavement than street tires to in the dirt. I got Kendas. me likes'em

Supertrapp exhaust - I like the reduced weight more than the "increased" power. I think it is just an increase in noise. It is about time to repack them anyway.

Progressive springs - I don't weigh a real lot but they do make a difference. Not the first thing that needs to be done but if you have money burning a hole in your pocket, why not?

Next I am going to do a Trailtech Vapor dashboard and HID lights.

I believe the fork brace can do as much harm as good. I understand that it will definately change the handling of the bike, but I am not convinced that a KLR with stiffer forks is a better KLR. I would like to hear more opinions on this matter as I haven't ridden a KLR with the brace. Maybe I will fork(no pun intended) out the money just for an experiment.

When you put your new pipe on did you re-jet the carb? Has anyone for that fact? Does it make a big difference or can you do damage if you don't?
VascoMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 02:59 PM   #7
rick danger
Off the wagon

Oddometer: 4,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRific
When you put your new pipe on did you re-jet the carb? Has anyone for that fact? Does it make a big difference or can you do damage if you don't?
You should re-jet . I put in a dynojet kit. It worked great. I dont think it'll do any damage unless you beat the shit out of it in its probably way lean condition, but it will pop on decel and not have the power it could

rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:10 PM   #8
TomN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,503
Crampbuster - for the throttle, very nice

Rad guard - have not needed it yet

Centerstand - Like it a lot, comes in handy of working on the bike

Got a +4 shield which is nice but only works if I have a tankbag on, otherwise the wind beats the heck out of my head

LED Taillight - Nice and bright, I love it

Got a muffler cover for soft bags but it was too small, I just got the bigger cage deal that covers the sides, have not tried them yet though.
TomN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #9
dirthackjob
n00b

Oddometer: 9
mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick danger View Post
You should re-jet . I put in a dynojet kit. It worked great. I dont think it'll do any damage unless you beat the shit out of it in its probably way lean condition, but it will pop on decel and not have the power it could
The only carb mods I've made so far on my 2006 KLR650 is to go one size bigger on both the main and idle jets. Along with a 14T counter sprocket it gave me much better 2nd gear pull out of the corners on gravel/dirt roads and can feel an improved midrange. Next will be air filter change and possible airbox change.
dirthackjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:54 PM   #10
Chronus24
Space cowboy

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRific
Yeah it has been rejetted. I had a good carb mechanic do his thing with it.

"Here we are, trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why."
-Kurt Vonnegut
Chronus24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #11
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney View Post
If you dont rejet when going to a full flow exhaust you lean out your A/F mix even more than the KLR comes stock.... I would not do one without the other IMHO...
Old 01-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #12
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
If you dont rejet when going to a full flow exhaust you lean out your A/F mix even more than the KLR comes stock.... I would not do one without the other IMHO...
Dunno why it would matter much. There is not much power to be had in any event, and most who swap exhausts do so primarily to make noise.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:37 AM   #13
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
Are KLR's particularly lean in stock form?

Fuel efficiency doesn't really reflect that.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #14
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Are KLR's particularly lean in stock form?

Fuel efficiency doesn't really reflect that.

Yep. KLRs roll off the press mighty lean, the 08+ years have an air injection system that makes the problem worse. Easy fix. Ditch the air injection system, back the pilot jet out to 2 1/2 turns from seated, the 22 cent mod, drill the slide for better throttle response, a better exhaust system and the bike comes alive. A stock KLR gets 50-55 mph, pretty good mileage I say.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #15
dreccles
V Rider

Oddometer: 119
Best mod for the money....

A K&N Filter and a Stage 1 DynoJet kit change the bike completely! :-)
Lot's more power across the entire rev range and Easy wheelies!

I found that aftermarket pipes did little, the pipe even 'gutted' the low end power for an HP or two at the top-end... not worth it to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VascoMerlin View Post