ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-27-2003, 05:43 PM   #1
sherpa OP
...Robert

Oddometer: 3,175
GPS V frozen up.

I was out riding today and my Garmin GPS V just froze up. It would not respond to commands from any buttons. When I got home I removed and then replaced the batteries (it is hard wired when on the bike) and it appears to be working fine.

It was given to me as a gift, last Fall sometime, so I do not know if it is a "hardened" model...can someone please explain to me what is done to make them "hardened", and is there anyway to tell if a unit is "hardened" without looking at the insides.

My first thought was/is that the vibration has gotten to it... but, I do very little actual off-road riding, mostly hard packed gravel. So how much vibration is this thing really getting sitting on the RAM mount, and is it enough to cause any damage?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated...

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW

I'd trade all my motorcycles for one Flying Dragon.
sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 06:06 PM   #2
Mully
Kineticist

Oddometer: 3,761
Cycoactive has a page section devoted to this problem. While they don't show what's done to "harden" the unit internally, they do imply strongly that the temporary "freeze" problem is associated with power supply. Since you said yours is hard-wired, the only suggestion I could make is that the wiring isn't sufficiently robust for the vibes your machine is getting when you're off-pavement and it's losing power. Take a look at the Cycoactive page here: http://www.cycoactive.com/gps/gps_vmod.html

HTH
mully
Old 04-27-2003, 06:57 PM   #3
AK Bear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,614
Not sure which your GPS is because I don't know the number designation on any of them except for mine but if it is the Street Pilot it's just like my Garmin 295 ifor my airplane. Mine locked up too but at 120 knots when I was counting on it. I even had it sent back to Garmin who couldn't find anything wrong.

What the dealer told me (after he had more experience with it) is that it is not capable of doing all that it is intended to do because the RAM or it's equivalent gets over loaded, and when it does, it locks up. He had me turn off my WAAS and my track log. Since then it has been ok but that's been just a few hours of use since I did that fix. The other thing he said was that a data card loaded to the max can also cause locking up and suggested if the above didn't do the trick to deleat a couple of MGB.

Try it and see if that works. When mine locked up before, all I had to do was turn it off and start over. It even remembered what route I was flying. Nice instrument except for the locking up. Good luck, Bear
AK Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 07:44 PM   #4
Pussboy
Oh, nice marmot.

Oddometer: 394
The way I understand it, "hardening" involves injecting some sort of epoxy or silicone into critical areas to anchor components. Unless it came from cycoactive.com, I doubt that it has been hardened. I would check with them to see what the problem might be. Get yourself a touratech mount while you are at it. I use one in combination with a RAM arm. This system anchors the power chord and antenna, and absorbs vibrations.
Pussboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 01:39 AM   #5
Mike Werner
Cloggy amongst Frogs

Oddometer: 1,962
yesterday I came back from a 1100 km trip, and somewhere in the middle I was just looking at my Streepilot Color when the display needed to refresh (so it blanked out and then starts redrawing), and just at that point I accelerated heavy (so a lot of juice was flowing).... result; display frooze. So went to a rest area and powered down the bike, turned off the GPS and turned everything on, and it worked. This is the 2nd time in quite a few years that it has happened.

Motorcycles in the Movies
Daily Motorcycle News
Mike Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 07:13 AM   #6
P. Urquell
Martini Taste Tester

Oddometer: 923
That's happened to me once, maybe twice. I simply turned it on and off and it solved the issue. Update your firmware on the GPS before you go blaming it on vibration.
P. Urquell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 06:50 PM   #7
sherpa OP
...Robert

Thanks for the replies.

Mully, that link was informative... even though I have mine hardwired, I checked for signs of arching on my batteries and found none. I removed them anyway cause I never use them. As for my wiring. I have a fused SAE harness going direct from the battery to the handlebars, I soldered up a 5" pigtail with the hardier 2 wire Garmin connector to attach to the GPS. I have dilectic grease on all connections.

AK Bear, The Garmin V doesn't take data cards...I will read the booklet and see if I can turn off the Track Log though...thanks for the suggestion.

Wolfordtiger, thanks for the "hardening" explaination... I didn't know that the Touratech mount could be used in conjuction with the RAM mount...that got me thinking about a suspension to absorb some of the shock. I took some dense 1/4" wet suit like foam and cut a piece to go between the GPS cradle and the RAM ball adaptor...works pretty well. I'll try this awhile to see if it works and upgrade to the Touratech if it doesn't.

P. Urquell, What is updating the "firmware" mean and how do I do it?

I also relocated the RAM to handlebar clamp from out at the handguard mount to inbetween the handlebar clamps...figure there might be less vibration in the bars at that location. I went out for a ride tonight on a bunch of washboard gravel roads without it freezing up again. I do not know if anything I did improved the setup or last night was just a freak anomaly...time will tell.

One thing I do not understand... you guys said when yours froze up you turned it off and back on and everything was fine...my on/off button wouldn't work when it was frozen. I had to unplug it from the bike and remove the batteries to get it to turn off. Thanks again for the help.

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW

Old 04-28-2003, 07:09 PM   #8
P. Urquell
Martini Taste Tester

Oddometer: 923
Quote:
P. Urquell, What is updating the "firmware" mean and how do I do it?
Definition of firmware :

Software stored in read-only memory (ROM) or programmable ROM (PROM). Easier to change than hardware but harder than software stored on disk. Firmware is often responsible for
the behaviour of a system when it is first switched on. A typical example would be a "monitor" program in a microcomputer which loads the full operating system from disk or from a network and then passes control to it.

Source: The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing, 1993-2003 Denis Howe

Latest firmware for Garmin (version 2.08)

Download from the above link. Run the executable to extract to its default location (C:\garmin_gpsV). Navigate to that directory and run UPDATER.EXE. Make sure your GPS is on and connected via serial cable to your PC.

If you're running MapSource, it's probably a good idea to update that as well.

MapSource Update

Backup everything on your GPS just in case (assuming you want or need the data).
P. Urquell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 07:12 PM   #9
sherpa OP
...Robert

Thanks P. Urquell...I am going to give that a try.

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW

Old 05-06-2003, 05:21 PM   #10
sherpa OP
...Robert

update

I went to NC this past weekend and the GPS continued to freeze up on me...so my above mentioned tweaking did not cure the problem.

I went to the Garmin website when P.Urquell suggested I update the firmware, and at that time, about 10 days ago, the most current version listed was the 2.04 that was already installed on my GPS. After talking with Garmin on the phone yesterday I was informed that 4 newer versions have come out since the 2.04. The newest being 2.20. The website reflects this now, so I updated mine and hopefully that will fix it. The 2.20 fine print specifically mentions my problem.

" Corrected intermittent problem that would cause the GPS to lockup during an off-route recalculation"

I also talked with the people at Cycoactive about the hardening process. I was told that with how I have the GPS installed on my bike,(Ram Mount/hard wired) and with the type of riding I do,(pavement/forrest roads) the hardening process was probably not necessary.

I'll see how the firmware update goes.

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW

Old 06-12-2003, 05:57 AM   #11
Augie
Nincompoop

Oddometer: 27,367
Sherpa,

Last weekend my GPS V locked up and would'nt lock on to any satellites. Batteries or powercord didn't matter. Garmin FAQ was no help so I called them and the dude there had me do a total reset of everything in the system. This will also kill any tracks or saved trips you have. ALL HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Procedure is as follows.

Press and hold ZOOM OUT
Press and hold QUIT
Power up like normal.

the screen will go blank for a couple of seconds. Place the unit outside and DO NOT MOVE IT until it resumes normal operation.

This is a lot like what Pilsner suggested but it works.
something about buffer overload was said but I didn't catch it all.

Incedently the latest version of stuff from them is V2.20
Augie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 07:40 AM   #12
Marc
Just sayin...

Oddometer: 8,967
Quote:
Said GSMullins:
Cycoactive has a page section devoted to this problem. While they don't show what's done to "harden" the unit internally, they do imply strongly that the temporary "freeze" problem is associated with power supply. Since you said yours is hard-wired, the only suggestion I could make is that the wiring isn't sufficiently robust for the vibes your machine is getting when you're off-pavement and it's losing power. Take a look at the Cycoactive page here: http://www.cycoactive.com/gps/gps_vmod.html

HTH
mully
Great timing on this thread. I literally just had my GPS "hardened" by Cycoactive here in Seattle on Monday of this week. According to them, the work they do is sanctioned by Garmin and does not void your warranty. After they do whatever it is they do to harden your GPS, they put a Vmod sticker oh the back that lets Garmin know they've done the work (just in case). According to the guy I spoke with @ Cycoactive, some thumpers set up a perfect vibration that causes the above symptoms - less so with BMW boxers. However, off-roading pounding can also cause the unit to freeze up.

I had the Vmod done because I'm offroad a bit and have pounded on the bike from time-to-time. That, plus the fact that I plan on keeping my 176c a long time. At $40 for units not purchased there...it's an OK price. JMHO.

M
Old 06-12-2003, 10:54 AM   #13
sherpa OP
...Robert

Quote:
Said Jeffaugie:
Sherpa,

Press and hold ZOOM OUT
Press and hold QUIT
Power up like normal.
Good info to have, nice to know how to reset the GPS if anything goes wrong on the road while away from the computer. Thanks for posting it.

Since I downloaded the most recent firmware mine has not frozen up again...the Garmin site said they had fixed the problem with the 2.20, and I guess they have...good company.

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW

Old 06-12-2003, 11:49 AM   #14
GSPeP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,102
With the previous firmware my GPS V froze up quite a few times. It didn't happen again since I put the latest firmware on it (2.20)
- FB: www.facebook.com/peter.perdaen
- Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/1150GSPEP/videos
GSPeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 02:07 PM   #15
GSbrasil
Aventureiro Brazuca

Oddometer: 119
Anyone experienced lost of reception due to "Poor Satellite Coverage" ?
I've been in the same spots where that happened with the GPS on the car and never lost the reception ...
Not sure if the vibration would also cause this ...