ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2006, 10:44 AM   #1
scottr OP
Banned
 
scottr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Pedernales R., Tx Hill Country (Ihadthisavatar1st)
Oddometer: 1,768
Question Steering Stabilizer ... Done to Death I Know But ....

I've read all the threads. I've gone to all the supplier sites.

I'm confused.

The Ausie/Brit duo are Emig devotees and I spose I'll end up succumbing. I'm gettin mine in black or shiny though as I hate being a 'twinner' or copycat.

But I really don't want to spend that much dough and I could not care less about the bling factor. Emig DOES sort of make it easier for us 950 folk however and their service IS personal and seemingly almost devotional to their customers.

Whereas it seems Scott's has no love for us punk 'amateurs'.

But then I'm impressed with the remote control aspect of the RTT. Makes a lot of sense.

But what my primary question is ... is there any good way to get a stabilizer on a stock '06 950 with the existing clamp? And would it be as good a setup as the others where one needs the clamps, post etc.?

I don't actually care about the offset factor of the Emig or others.

Thanks

scottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 11:45 AM   #2
erider
erider
 
erider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Cleveland, OH
Oddometer: 479
Scott's stablizer kit

We've got a kit in design, that will mount above the bars. Scott's gold box, with an erider top clamp and tower. $579.00. Should (hopefully !) be available for release by 12/1/06. www.erider.ws (440) 286-6273
erider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:12 PM   #3
Pointman0853
Unregistered Gun Owner
 
Pointman0853's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Douglas County, Nevada
Oddometer: 1,373
Thumb Scott is bestest!

"Whereas it seems Scott's has no love for us punk 'amateurs'".

Sorry...I gotta say 'Bullshit' to this one.... It's all in how you get to Scott.

When I went looking for a damper, I asked someone who really knew thier shit. Without first voicing a preference, I was told that Scott was the only brand to get, and this came from a young guy who only placed 4th overall in Dakar last year.

Will the other ones work? Maybe, but I'm not into experimentation when my life could be on the line.

PM me off list if you would like to know more... .

Pointman
__________________
AMA Life Member 600475
IBA #5
More Cowbell!
Pointman0853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 02:35 PM   #4
scottr OP
Banned
 
scottr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Pedernales R., Tx Hill Country (Ihadthisavatar1st)
Oddometer: 1,768
Pointman

It's generally accepted that Scott's is one of the - if not THE best stabilizer. It seems also to be common knowledge that you can't get personal attention out of them. Just sayin.

scottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 03:13 PM   #5
cpmodem
Orange Caveman
 
cpmodem's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: masa yee yah tee 59 14' 9" N / 135 26' 42" W
Oddometer: 7,103
I have been using a GPR stabilizer since early summer and love it. The 950 doesn't need one on pavement, but offroad, one is definitely essential. I have ~3000 miles offroad on this one and it functions as advertized and without any problems. I have no affilliation with GPR. Just a happy customer.
-cp
__________________

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 03:17 PM   #6
scottr OP
Banned
 
scottr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Pedernales R., Tx Hill Country (Ihadthisavatar1st)
Oddometer: 1,768
Talking

Looks real good. Please tell me more. How did install go? That's their clamp too, right? How many different after-market pieces did you have to use? If you don't mind .... what was cost? Any more pics? Closeup of control would be nice. Thanks much.





Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem
I have been using a GPR stabilizer since early summer and love it. The 950 doesn't need one on pavement, but offroad, one is definitely essential. I have ~3000 miles offroad on this one and it functions as advertized and without any problems. I have no affilliation with GPR. Just a happy customer.
-cp
scottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 03:21 PM   #7
scottr OP
Banned
 
scottr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Pedernales R., Tx Hill Country (Ihadthisavatar1st)
Oddometer: 1,768
cpmodem

Looking again ..... which controls are which? I see some buttons on the left and a lever on the right I don't recognize. I spose the togle is for you lights?
Thanks again.

scottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:30 PM   #8
advjackass
orange crusher
 
advjackass's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: wilson, wy.
Oddometer: 926
i must be a fucking retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottr
It's generally accepted that Scott's is one of the - if not THE best stabilizer. It seems also to be common knowledge that you can't get personal attention out of them. Just sayin.

i was uninformed of this common knowledge. when i was looking at them i talked to both and the people at scotts helped me the most. i did not know shit from apple butter and the sales guys at scotts explained evrything clearly. while the people at emig were not that helpful. everybody has off days but common knowledge

i went with scotts and could not be happier!
http://www.scottsperformance.com/index.php
advjackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:20 PM   #9
Pantah
Red Sox Nation
 
Pantah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: India Wharf
Oddometer: 9,930
So how do you mount a Scotts damper if I wanted to do it next week?

Thanks -P
__________________
Straight ahead and faster -Bo Weaver 1970
"There I was..." -Griffin Niner Three Hotel
"One day closer to a parade..." Jonny Gomes, spring training 2013
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:42 PM   #10
goldfinger
goldfinger
 
goldfinger's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Adelaide Australia
Oddometer: 192
I used a Rtt before complete piece of shit,always leaked had it replaced three times but still always leaked oil,I have been using the Scotts on my 990 with the underbar mount and triple clamp and it works a treat,i have been using the GPR v3 on my 525 EXC which has a remote adjuster on it and have been very impressed.The GPR and the Scotts work very similar in the fact they both have a sweep valve where the RTT is a one way damper.
goldfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 02:13 PM   #11
Todd-Squad
See Ya, Bye.
 
Todd-Squad's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: The great state of Utah
Oddometer: 751
Personal attention?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottr
It's generally accepted that Scott's is one of the - if not THE best stabilizer. It seems also to be common knowledge that you can't get personal attention out of them. Just sayin.

A hydraulic stabalizer isn't a woman, just a damper. I put mine on two years ago, never gave it a second thought. What kind of attention are you looking for?
__________________
A ride you say? When and Where?
My Favorite Pics
Todd-Squad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:18 PM   #12
BigMac
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Oddometer: 314
I'm a bit intrigued why folks choose the Emig or similar setup and similarly I suppose, how firms like this stay in business given their seemingly exhorbitant pricing levels. I suppose part of it is the "bling factor" of fancy anodized parts. Maybe its the option of 20mm offset clamps that slightly reduce trail for more nimble low speed manueverability. And maybe its just folks spending $$, ignorant of fact that that there are many solutions available to solve any supposed real handling problems with their machines for far less $$.

The "bling factor" certainly has no substitute for those seeking such a look but i wonder if those consumers are aware how quickly certain anodized colors will fade...reds and oranges are among the worst, they will fade to some shade of pink within 6 months.

The 20mm offset may offer some VERY slightly perceptable gain in manueverability at low speed and even some turn-in speed on high speed tarmac although it will also tend to feel more vague and unstable when turning at higher speeds and be more sensitive to road imperfections. The argument of course could be made that a steering damper will largely negate these negatives, except for loss in feel, however the exact same gains could be made by raising rear ride height and/or raising forks in clamps thus slightly steepening rake or castor angle. Raising forks in clamps however costs nada $$ but doesn't come with any shiny parts either.

I guess most alarming of all is the simple fact that the most race proven, durable, bomb-proof and functional damper available is in fact the LOWEST cost solution. Of course its a solution to a "problem" that does not exist unless you are riding the 950 in deep sand or very wet, sticky mud. At least imo. FWIW, I am going to install an adapter to fit an Ohlins/Scotts damper from my 300EXC onto my 950 because I have struggled with bike in deep sand and especially in heavy clay mud in the Yukatan. I'll however be spending likely under $200 and will hopefully be able to purchase the mount in stock matte silver finish. I'll also have the tower welded to frame, I simply do not trust a clamp-on tower design and know Scott's recommends welded tower over clamp-on whenever possible. We have Cr-Mo steel frames which makes welded towers very possible. Take care.
BigMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:12 PM   #13
PowerCell
SE990R
 
PowerCell's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Kalifornia
Oddometer: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac
I guess most alarming of all is the simple fact that the most race proven, durable, bomb-proof and functional damper available is in fact the LOWEST cost solution.


Scotts Bolt-On kit (includes required top clamp) = $699.95

RTT Kit with Remote and Integrated top clamp = $699.00
PowerCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:38 AM   #14
GCRad1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GCRad1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: costa mesa, ca., usa, earth, sector-28
Oddometer: 444
Can we get some more images from all who have dampeners on there 950adv's??? PLEASE!!!
GCRad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 08:54 AM   #15
dozer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dozer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: slc ut
Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCell
Scotts Bolt-On kit (includes required top clamp) = $699.95

RTT Kit with Remote and Integrated top clamp = $699.00
Emig
KIT # 2 18mm Offset
  • Top Triple Clamp - Rubber Mounted or Solid Mounted
  • Key Switch Holder
  • Frame Mounted Stabilizer Post
  • Under-The Bar Stabilizer Mounting (2.70" or optional 3.25")
  • Available in Shiny - Orange - Black
Complete Kit with Revolution I or II Steering Stabilizer - Kit Price
$655($20 Discount)
dozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014