Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2006, 06:11 PM   #1
turbosneeze OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Question 1987 Honda Elite CH150 Performance Question

Hi everyone,

A buddy of mine just recently gave me a 87 CH150 with only 577 miles on the clock. It has sat outside in the yard (uncovered) of the original owner for about 13yrs. My buddy is a computer tech and rides a 86 CH150D and after working on the guy's computer, he offered the owner his work for free if he gave him his neglected CH150. The owner agreed and they traded the CH150 for his work rendered. Orginally, my buddy was going to keep both the scooters but since he knew that I was very interested in a scooter and I was the one that got him the lead to his CH150D, he offered the scooter to me.

When I got the CH150 from him, it did not want to start. Here are some of the sequence of events that took place to get it running:
- Flushed out radiator fluid, changed oil and flushed out gas tank. Filled gas with Chevron Premium and some B12 mix, radiator with just water and oil with Mobil 1 synthetic.
- Installed a new battery, but nothing, except that the temp guage will rise and stay on the top
- Tested all the electricals and after removing all the panels and plastics from the scooter, we found that the battery ground cable was loose and the contact point was corroded. Sanded down the contact points and tighten the bolt and the scooter fired right up (pretty amazing for a scooter that sat outside for 13yrs).
- Filled tire pressure to spec and twisted the throttle with the center stand down. The tires wabbled a bit at high rotation but nothing too serious. The rubber is extremely hard, but still plenty of thread left.
- Test rode the scooter around the block. It got up to 45mph but nothing more. It was kinda late already so I parked and decided to do more after I register the bike with the DMV.
- Got the scooter registered (pain the butt since it was not registered for the last 13yrs, but got it done). Re-upholstered the seat and now for the test run.
- After a few hard, full throttle runs, it seemed to get up to around 52mph. I decided to ride down to my buddy's house (20 miles) and during the trip, the bike hit around 58mph on flat land. It felt stable and strong. This was during the day when the temperature was around low to mid 80s.
- Parked the scooter at buddy's house and decided to leave around 10pm. The temperature was probably low 50s and the scooter wouldn't run past 45mph at full throttle. I also noticed that during hard off the line acceleration, the drive belt seems to skip a notch or two before grabbing hold.
- Next day morning, the bike was acting the same way so I decided to buy some carb/choke cleaner and sprayed the intake while running the bike at high rpms. I parked it outside in the sun for a couple of hrs and then took it to another friend's house. The bike ran great and hit 58mph again and I figured the whole problem was fixed.
- On the way back at night, it ran great again, but I got stuck at a left light for quite a long time, since the sensor did not detect me and I had to sit through a couple of signal changes before another car got behind me to trigger the left light. I took off and immediately felt that the scooter was running poor again.

I talked to a few friends and they all have different suggestions. Here are some of them:
- Poor ground (I don't think this is the case and just for the sake of argument, I connected another ground wire from the battery to the engine block - this did not solve the problem).
- Carbuerator needs cleaning (I don't think this is the case either, since the bike started fine, idles fines and runs with no surging). When it runs poor and does not exceed 45mph, it still runs smooth. It just feels weak and cannot accelerate as strong and can't pass 45mph.
- Fuel filter needs cleaning or changing (this might be the case but it does not explain the inconsistency in performance). I will do this anyways since it is a good maintenance item.
- Air filter needs cleaning or changing (same thought as fuel filter).

This is my own diagnosis:
- I think the drive belt is old, hard and needs replacing. The bike seems to run well in warmer weather and I think that is because the rubber tends to get softer when it is warn. When it is colder, I think the belt is not moving/triggering the pulley accordingly and thus the inconsistency in performance. I am no expert, but this is my best guess for the moment.

Some of you might think that I should just open up the bike and look at all these items I that I have mentioned. However, I am currently on a business trip and will not return till Feb of next year. I am just trying to drill down the cause and buy the necessary items upfront so I can start the repair and maintenance immediately when I return. If anyone of your experts out there can shed some light on this, it'll be much appreciated. Thank you.
turbosneeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:14 PM   #2
Motomech
Adventurer in Latin Amer.

Oddometer: 337
The carb is dirty. The reason it will top out sometime and other times it won't is because the slide of the CV carb is lifted by the negitive pressure of the intake charge moving thru the venturi. This neg. pressure is routed thru an internal passageway in the carb body that is partialy obscured.
My recommendation is that you take the carb to a shop where it can be cleaned in an agitator. An experienced tech would know how to check the carb body to make sure all the internal passagewats are free and clear.
As always, check inside the fuel tank to make sure it's cleanand shinny.

Elite 150's are the coolest scooter's ever made, espically the '85 and '86 D models.

Also, while the carb is off, replace the prone to cracking. original manifold with Honda's updated design.

Always tighten the header to cyl. bolts first and then the muffler securing bolts.

The Scooter Doctor
'96 KTM 300EXC
Playas del Locos

"The BMW Airheads, riding yesterday's technology the day after tomorrow".
Motomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:34 PM   #3
brockster
Despair & Repair Garage

Oddometer: 2,042
So have you gotten it fixed yet??

The carb HANGS off of the manifold boot. Make sure they are snugged up but good.

"
Man whoever came up with Ronald McDonald was dropping some serious acid.
." - SpoonKiller / tiotalruckus.com

brockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
ernest t bass
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
ive owned 3 elite 150's over the years and 58 was the exact top speed of all three.

"Elite 150's are the coolest scooter's ever made, espically the '85 and '86 D models."

couldnt agree more!!!

but, 87 model 150 elite's are easier to do custom paint jobs on.
which after 13 years outside, yours probably needs.

ernest t bass screwed with this post 03-09-2008 at 01:09 PM
ernest t bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:38 PM   #5
Motomech
Adventurer in Latin Amer.

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest t bass
ive owned 3 elite 150's over the years and 58 was the exact top speed of all three.

"Elite 150's are the coolest scooter's ever made, espically the '85 and '86 D models."

couldnt agree more!!!

Nice!
I'm thinking the copper model is a '84 125, right?
I.M.O., the '87's and later were not as comfortable as the eariler ones. The seat sloped forward and I didn't like the hump.
'96 KTM 300EXC
Playas del Locos

"The BMW Airheads, riding yesterday's technology the day after tomorrow".
Motomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:17 PM   #6
ernest t bass
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
the gold one is indeed a 1984 ch125 elite, with 4500 miles. its top speed is only 52 or so. it is also much slower in acceleration compared to the 150.

the silver 1985 150 standard has about 2500 miles. analog guages and no pop up light.

ive never fully warmed up to the 87 model elite 150.
no real rear footpegs is my main complaint.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:51 PM   #7
tcjames.yu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Cool elite150

Quote:

couldnt agree more!!!

Exactly, she is the classic 80's scooter on the earth~~
everyone knowss in the terminator film, the mother of future Sara Ann Cornor rode the same model as you own one, it worth you cherish and keep it forever!!!
tcjames.yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:32 AM   #8
Cameron1977
n00b

Oddometer: 7
performance/sluggish still

I was wondering how difficult it is to clean the jets or to rebuild the carb. Any thoughts on the Chinese Carbs on Ebay, Honda dealer says crap. If I bought a rebuild kit is it something I could do, I've replaced the belt and brakes myself so far.

I'm still having performance issues, intermittent power. When runny poorly the acceleration is flat, and it tops out around 45 mph. Seems sluggish, after I've ridden it for a while and restarted while warm, or when the weather is warm (over 80) it will run normally (either right when i start it or while riding). I've taken it to 3 shops and they tend to give me the response "seems to run normal" (honda and two others) even though I tell them I know it is not and that it sometimes runs at "full power". frustrating.

The idle can sometimes spike (intermittent) to the point where the clutch almost wants to engage. Usually when it is warm for a while the idle will return to normal

15000 miles

I have:
replaced the belt
valves adjusted, checked for vacuum leaks, replaced a gasket. -by Honda shop (they say it seems to run fine :()
checked by two other shops previous to honda
replaced battery and rectifier
replaced air filter
replaced tires (dont think exhaust gasket was replaced)

Have not:
cleaned carb
replaced roller weights
replaced clutch shoes
replaced bearings
replaced petcock

noticed:
while running and when i put on to main stand while parking... the idle drops and sometimes stalls.

crappy photo:

Cameron1977 screwed with this post 11-19-2009 at 11:39 AM
Cameron1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:42 AM   #9
LandPirateMBC
Full blown child

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcjames.yu
Exactly, she is the classic 80's scooter on the earth~~
everyone knowss in the terminator film, the mother of future Sara Ann Cornor rode the same model as you own one, it worth you cherish and keep it forever!!!

My 1986 elite has a top speed of 66mph, could just be condition, elevation or something along those lines though.
LandPirateMBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:59 PM   #10
Mario Shi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:

Are these crashbars available for an 85 CH150 Deluxe? Where does one find them, if they are still available? Thanks! Mario
1967 R60/2

1989 XL600V TRANSALP
1999 XRV750X Africa Twin
1998 XR400r - plated & electric start
1999 XR250r - plated
1998 M900

Ahhh, if it was that, then it would be it - Butt Head
Mario Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:21 AM   #11
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,482
I would guess someone made up a set. I ve never seen or heard of them before.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:40 AM   #12
Coopdway
Curiouser

Oddometer: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Shi
Are these crashbars available for an 85 CH150 Deluxe? Where does one find them, if they are still available? Thanks! Mario
If I help you find some will you sell me your Africa Twin???
-----------------------------
Coop's Corner
Coopdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:05 PM   #13
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest t bass View Post

couldnt agree more!!!

I know that this is an old post, but how are you guys only getting 58 MPH out of your Elites? A properly running Elite 150 should do 65 MPH. I can hit 70 MPH or so on GPS with my Elite with the wind at my back on a long, flat highway stretch. The OP should also check his CDI, and maybe everyone should consider checking their electrical system thats only getting 55-58 MPH.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:55 PM   #14
Cameron1977
n00b

alright,

so i've replaced the carb (ch150 ebay made in china, I dont' see anywhere for the pcv valve tube to go so i just capped off), cvt belt, final drive gear oil, cvt clutch shoes, roller weights, exhaust gasket, rubber tube connecting engine and carb. I am still having intermittent power issues...

the engine had a bunch of oil/gunk so i decided to use to some engine degreaser so that my hands wouldn't get so damn dirty every time i worked on it. anyhow, here is the thing... after washing down the engine and putting the panels back on i took it for a spin and bam, it was running great most of the time. assuming it was because the moisture was gone from the engine? As an experiment, I took off the center cover and sprayed water onto the carb/engine area this morning tried to start it up again. bam!, full power!? went for a ride this evening and low power again? This is SO weird!!!

Any suggestions? Could this be something electrical or vaccum related? maybe the moisture is sealing off a leak or facilitating a bad electrical connection? I know that the CDI was replaced a few years back when we did a "make run" after it was sitting for a while... I checked the vaccum lines going to the carb, and did my best to check that they were on as tight as possible. there are the original metal clips on there to hold them in place. I bought some hose clamps but they are a bit too large, going to try and find some smaller ones.

anyhow, when its running poorly it tops out at around 40-45mph at full throttle. when running "well", I could probably make it to 60-65 and it sounds much more "throaty". lol

thanks!

Cameron1977 screwed with this post 06-19-2011 at 08:09 PM
Old 08-20-2008, 11:25 PM   #15
Cameron1977
n00b

Performance Issues CH150 - 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomech
The carb is dirty. The reason it will top out sometime and other times it won't is because the slide of the CV carb is lifted by the negitive pressure of the intake charge moving thru the venturi. This neg. pressure is routed thru an internal passageway in the carb body that is partialy obscured.
My recommendation is that you take the carb to a shop where it can be cleaned in an agitator. An experienced tech would know how to check the carb body to make sure all the internal passagewats are free and clear.
As always, check inside the fuel tank to make sure it's cleanand shinny.

Elite 150's are the coolest scooter's ever made, espically the '85 and '86 D models.

Also, while the carb is off, replace the prone to cracking. original manifold with Honda's updated design.

Always tighten the header to cyl. bolts first and then the muffler securing bolts.

The Scooter Doctor
Thanks for this response. I've been to two mechanics already without luck. They replaced the power regulator ($400) but i am still having performance issues. Put on new tires today (they were bald, dangerous) along with a new belt, but still have low performance.

Seemingly randomly (but usually when the weather is warm) it will "snap out of it" and feel full powered, or when i first start it up.

Is there anything i can try to clean the carb without taking it to a mechanic? What the heck is seafoam? Literally seafoam from the ocean? Are those car carb cleaning additives worth it? I've been putting 91 fuel in it per recommendation, is that worth it?

Thanks! I'm going to post images soon of my scooter.

Cameron