User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2006, 02:50 PM   #1
wickerman777 OP
Canyon fodder

Oddometer: 314
The official XT225 thread!

OK so I have done the searches and though there has been a good deal of XT225 info passed about (though usualy just a link to www.xt225.com ) I think it is time for a single thread to coalate all that has been and yet to be learned about this awsome little bike. I also own a DR650 and my decision to purchase that bike and not a XR or KLR was largely fueled by the simplicity of browsing through the wealth of data in the DR650 thread. I believe I am not the only one either.

I believe that the XT might just be one of the other relatively under-appreciated thumpers out there and a single thread where interested parties can come to research would be awsome and hopefully generate more interest in this great little bike so that hopefully in the long run we might all reap some benefit from it (namely a better aftermarket and possibly Japan realizing that the rear disk braked xt250 would be highly appreciated).

wickerman777 screwed with this post 11-04-2006 at 03:33 PM
wickerman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 03:00 PM   #2
mitchxout
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
I asked the very same question to an ex Honda rep today.

Honda has to be convinced they can sell 10k of a model before they'll offer them here.
mitchxout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 03:08 PM   #3
wickerman777 OP
Canyon fodder

So I will start by mentioning that my verticaly challenged girlfriend just recently purchased a 05 XT only partialy at my nudging and I have begun the adventure of tuning this little bike to get as much performance out of it as I possibly can. The XT225 site is great but this is where I hang out and hopefully we can expand the bikes influence in the dual sport market.

It is obviously a bargain bike and some of the stock parts scream this as the handlebars, grips, levers, footpegs, spokes, rims, tires, jetting, exhaust, controls, and how it's all put together from the factory is shite!

So my girl had a minor get off on it her first day and bent the handlebars and tweaked the triples. She was not hurt except for a mildly bruised knee and ego yet this was fortunate for the bike as it required me to begin my mods. I had to find alot of fixes myself as though there is some good info it is still slim pickins out there.

Here is what I've done so far:

Handlebars replaced with Pro Taper 7/8" black CR high bars. Very nice.

Levers replaced with MSR dominator YZ levers. Perfect fit and fit nicely behind the new Acerbis black brushguards. Used very slim rubberized washers for the levers to create a better fit and smoother action. Also drilled out the return spring hole in the MSR brake lever as it was to small for the stock spring.

Did some minor rerouting of the front control wires and general harness for future ease of disassembly.

Fitted a set of KTM folding mirrors. The left is regular thread and the right reverse but KTM makes a handy little bracket that replaces the rightside master cyl bar clamp with one that accepts a regualarly threaded mirror. Awsome mirrors. Gonna put them on my DR too.

Replaced the majority of bolts with stainless steel allen heads.

wickerman777 screwed with this post 11-04-2006 at 03:37 PM
Old 11-04-2006, 03:18 PM   #4
wickerman777 OP
Canyon fodder

I have to split this up because it keeps timing me out

Woking on the jetting right now. Have got a 140 main, holes drilled in baffle, slightly disected snorkel and will be adding at least a 42.5 pilot jet, punch some holes in the airbox cover, after market filter and whatever else I can come up with. End result will probably be a aftermarket pipe, larger carb and aggressive jetting. Probably get a 1 tooth up countershaft sprocket as well.

Tried to mount some old XR600R pegs to it as they have a similar setup and it worked, kinda... but I just said fuck it ordered the ebay ones.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:31 PM   #5
wickerman777 OP
Canyon fodder

Shite!!!

Anyway bike runs great right now though future jetting will surely smooth out the top end power. Future mods will include Excel rims and spokes. Round off the spoke holes in the hubs as one of the reasons they have issues is the sharp edge and soft metal of the hubs. Honing them dull and installing beefier spokes should solve most of the problem and routine adjustment will stave off the effects of loose spokes rounding the holes larger.

I've gotten to put a fair amount of mileage on this bike while fixing and testing it. Hot damn this thing is fun and I must say I'm slightly jealous of my girl. I might have to get one myself. I've done alot to this bike yet I can tell that I have barely tapped it's true potential.

Keep tuned as ther will be plenty more info to come.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:20 AM   #6
Fra Diavolo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Good idea for a thread! Especially since my registration at XT225 seems stalled . . .

Got a new '06 on Tuesday. I'll be installing the Stewart "ebay" pegs today.
Fra Diavolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 11:13 AM   #7
wickerman777 OP
Canyon fodder

And here she is. Last night I finaly drilled out the rest of the baffle. Wow! what a difference. The oversized main jet I installed was causing it to bog slightly at near full open throttle. Now it pulls along nicely at all but wide full open with just the slightest bogging. It now has the freedom to push as much air as needed but the airbox is still quite restrictive. Going to be installing the aftermarket filter and airbox filter plugs. That should give it as much air as it needs.

Old 12-19-2006, 02:19 PM   #8
crushingchestpain
Banned

Oddometer: 382
stalled and going nowhere

Thanks wickerman. good thread. dont forget to upgrade your horn to a finn. the stock one is worthless.
crushingchestpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 12:14 PM   #9
PeteC
Old Rider

Oddometer: 37
New XT225 Serow Owner

This Wednesday I picked up an '07 XT225 from World Motorcycles in Henderson, Nevada (SE area of Las Vegas). The price out their door was $4050, but I still had to pay $154.81 sales tax & $85.04 registration back in Kingman, AZ. So total cost was $4289.85, not the best deal, but OK. The local dealer wasn't going to get an XT225 till March, the dealer in Lake Havasu City had just sold his last XT225 & the dealer in Bullhead City wouldn't come down from an OTD price of just over $4600! World Motorcycles had a used '06 XT225, but sold it just before I called them on Tuesday. I have only put about 32 miles on the bike on residential streets & slow country roads. I'm breaking it in right so not using much power yet. After getting over the initial awkward feel of a new bike I like the way the XT225 handles & know it will be better after I get it set up & can use full power. My other bike is a '06 DR650 Suzuki I have set up for longer adventure touring. The XT225 is so much lighter & much more nimble, I know I will enjoy it off road. I can actually lay it down flat & pick it up relatively easily! I also plan on doing some longer tours on the XT225. I will be checking out this & other sites for mods to improve the XT225.
PeteC

PeteC screwed with this post 12-23-2006 at 12:34 PM
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 01:47 PM   #10
crushingchestpain
Banned

Oddometer: 382
Pete

Welcome.You will love your XT. I got mine used with 3k on it for 2500 so I think you got a great deal. I added a Yamaha tail rack and a new horn, and other than that I am happy with the stock bike. You will see everyone tricks there out with mods, but mine is a blast. I am going with a different front sprocket to give it better highway manners, but that can wait till spring.
Check out
http://www.xt225.com/
crushingchestpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 04:45 PM   #11
Magus
Never grew up...

Oddometer: 96
Laugh New xt225 in the house

Just picked up a 2002 xt225 with 350 miles on it. Supposed to be for my son to use off road while I ride the Husky but it's a pretty fun ride all in itself!

Magus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 05:14 AM   #12
wickerman777 OP
Canyon fodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus
Just picked up a 2002 xt225 with 350 miles on it. Supposed to be for my son to use off road while I ride the Husky but it's a pretty fun ride all in itself!

Poor kid, he's never gonna see that bike you'll be riding it so much.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:16 AM   #13
Magus
Never grew up...

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickerman777
Poor kid, he's never gonna see that bike you'll be riding it so much.
BTW Wickerman777 - great "handle" - I think of Britt Ekland everytime I see it - is that wrong? I suppose it's a bit off topic though...
Magus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 08:45 PM   #14
DragonRider1
East TN Adventurer!

Oddometer: 94
Took the wife and her x-mas present ('01 XT-225) out to a family fun ride this afternoon and we all had a blast! The XT, even with about 15% of it's tread left (previous owner rode only on the street, 3,600 miles of original knobbies gone) it took to the single track and forest trails just fine. In fact, I doubled her along one of the steeper trails covered in loose wet leaves and rock with a bit of loam to it. Zero problems! I *love* these things! Welcome to the 70 mile per gallon while grinning from ear to ear club!

(notice her perma-grin?)
Attached Images

DragonRider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 12:41 PM   #15
Buzzez
Wind Powered

Oddometer: 10,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonRider1
Took the wife and her x-mas present ('01 XT-225) out to a family fun ride this afternoon and we all had a blast! The XT, even with about 15% of it's tread left (previous owner rode only on the street, 3,600 miles of original knobbies gone) it took to the single track and forest trails just fine. In fact, I doubled her along one of the steeper trails covered in loose wet leaves and rock with a bit of loam to it. Zero problems! I *love* these things! Welcome to the 70 mile per gallon while grinning from ear to ear club!

(notice her perma-grin?)

Awesome gift! Making the girls grin is a good thing...

~&>)
(-)@(+)______

Buzzez is offline   Reply With Quote