User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2006, 12:06 PM   #1
Walub OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Wink Camping on the side of the road.

I am planning a trip from Winnipeg Manitoba to Las Vegas in spring. I have six days to get there so I want to do a little exploring and take my time. I thought in the spirit of adventure and to save a little money I would try to camp not in campgrounds but just off the road in a hidden area. An hour before dark I would start looking for a little side road that will get me away from the main road. Find a small hill/bush/tree to hide my small tent and bike behind. I could then fire up my stove make supper and have a good sleep. I know technically this is not allowed and there could be some trespassing involved but I would not be hearting anyone and would clear out at first light. Has anyone had experiences camping this way? I would love to see some pictures. Is this possible? Or should I just abandon my foolhardy plan. Any advice/criticism/experiences would be appreciated.
Walub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 12:12 PM   #2
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,762
Missouri has a pretty good system. The Conservation Department (same as other state's fish and game) has areas all over the state that allow primitive camping. You can get a map directly from them on the internet. I suppose other states have similar situations. It would be worth your while to check with the states on your route.

Buy my Versys.
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 12:13 PM   #3
kerhonky
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 1,118
I suspect you'll soon hear from folks who have done this. Some call it "stealth camping." Personally, I don't have any experience, in it.

As far as the trespassing issue, you would have to check the laws of the provinces/states through which you'll be riding, but I can tell you that in New York, you are not trespassing unless you have been notified that you are not allowed on the property. That notification could come via posted signs, written warning, or even a verbal statement from the owner. All that means though, is that they can't actually charge you with a crime. They can kick you off their property. Things may be different in Canada, but you should be able to figure it out with a little research. I'd wager that all of the applicable laws can be found online.

If you think I won't understand it just because you have to explain it to me, maybe it was bullshit to begin with.
kerhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 12:21 PM   #4
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,395
I hear WalMart lets RVers stay in their parking lots. I wonder if they'd notice a tent and a bike?
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 12:29 PM   #5
Walub OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by McB
I hear WalMart lets RVers stay in their parking lots. I wonder if they'd notice a tent and a bike?
Haha that would be great. The workers doing there morning chant could be my alarm clock. Then I could go to McDonalds for breakfast. Hmm maybe not quite my idea of solitude. But maybe in a pinch.
Walub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 12:43 PM   #6
Big G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,147
National Forests

Generally allow camping anywhere for up to two weeks, check their website http://www.fs.fed.us/ to make sure. Western states have alot of national forest land, so you should be able to plan a decent route through.
2013 Triumph Rocket III Roadster 2300cc WOAH!
Meat = Murder, ergo Murder = YUMMY
Big G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:50 PM   #7
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,097
Not just National Forests...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G
Generally allow camping anywhere for up to two weeks, check their website http://www.fs.fed.us/ to make sure. Western states have alot of national forest land, so you should be able to plan a decent route through.
There are also oodles of other public land you can park your gypsy wagon on, like State land, Bureau of Land Management (BLM) land, Federal Power Reserve land (like around power generating dams). It's endless out here in the West! Wyoming is over 50% public land. The one major exception are the National Parks like Jellystone and Grand Teton, etc. - you must camp in developed CG's only or they'll roust yer butt in the middle of the night. Don't ask how I know this .....

The best indicator of having found an OK place to pull off is some indication that someone else was there before you, like a firepit or trail. You won't be the first one to have this idea ya know..... Here are a couple of shots from last year, just doing what you propose, great spots and very peaceful.

Long day, so I had to pitch camp by the headlight of the RT on Lolo Pass!

Next AM:

Best camp of the summer, just off the road on a whim just before the sun went down:

Next AM, best coffee ever!

Devil's Tower National Monument, near the Black Hills, is a GORGEOUS place. I just happened to be there during a Boy Scout Jamboree . About half a gallon of Crown Royal in my guts allowed me to sleep peacefully even with all the little hooligans charging around all night. Actually, they were great fun, I was a scout many years ago and that led to my love of camping. The kiddies loved the idea of camping off the motorcycle, so I may have inspired some future AdvRiders!

You'll have a blast, man! If your route leads you through Wyoming PM me and I can point out some great spots!

Doug
Old 11-29-2006, 12:46 PM   #8
Hondarider
Hero of the Stupid

Oddometer: 613
When I was in the Army I thought that I might travel that way between duty stations and make a few bucks by saving my per diem money...but the spectre of nosey bears in the Rockies or the "local color" usually kept me sleeping in my Jeep...I'd be wary of that kind of exposure...I learned the hard way in Tenessee that bored young men + alcohol + out of state plates can equate to a tense situation...LOL
Hondarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 12:59 PM   #9
RoyB
Dartmouth, Massacusetts

Oddometer: 1,577
I used to Bike tour (ten speed bike) and had a camo tent and a piece of camo cloth that I carried. I camped in some of the most amazing places, but usually just off the side of a good secondary road and many times right in the median of a highway. Absolutly no one bothers you if they can't see you. We snuck into municipal reservours, the woods behind a scoool or a chuch, once in the woods behind a police station! Never an issue......Just keep the lights out!
2004 Honda VFR abs,2001 Moto Guzzi Rosso Mandello
1971 Honda Trail CT90
RoyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:18 PM   #10
KemoSabe1943
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Laugh Stealth Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walub View Post
Haha that would be great. The workers doing there morning chant could be my alarm clock. Then I could go to McDonalds for breakfast. Hmm maybe not quite my idea of solitude. But maybe in a pinch.
I've stayed in Wal-Mart lots, grocery store lots, and Truck Stops of American lots. Just go in late, find a spot out of the way, pitch the tent in a grassy area somewhere off to the side or back lot, and go to sleep. Trucks idling are good sleep aids...seriously! I figure truckers are armed, so I'll be safe in a truck stop.
Some good places are old cemeteries. I stayed in several. Not too much traffic in a cemetery overnight. I do not disrespect the plots, but stay off the sides in the grassy areas, mostly under a tree.
You can find a good logging road sometimes and head up them. Good copse of wateroak will give you lots of shade. Just watch out for the coyotes chasing the deer through there at night!
KemoSabe1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:07 AM   #11
CharlesLathe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
This year, I bought a black, lightweight bike cover because people see the bike before they see me. A couple of summers ago, I was sleeping in the trees next to the parking lot of a boat launch area with signs prominently posted saying No Camping. I slept through the night, but woke up not long before dawn when a voice belonging to a man who was almost stepping on me called to his fishing buddy, "Hey, there's a motorcycle over here." I startled him as badly as he startled me when I said, "It's my motorcycle."

I see a lot of people suggesting that you can ask a cop about a place to camp. Do some of you actually ask cops about places to camp? If so, have any of you actually been given a good tip? And if you've answered yes to both questions, where do they have cops like that?
CharlesLathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:58 PM   #12
lowflyer
Doubleplusgood

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by McB
Most Wla-Marts are open 24hrs. You could just sleep in the lawn and garden department on the lawn furniture. I read where a college student spent SB doing just that.
lowflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 11:02 PM   #13
AKA HAL
workin' on the noob thing

Oddometer: 195
BLM land?

OK... don't quote me on this, 'cause I'm not certain of the rules (and I'm not looking them up... easier to ask forgiveness than permission, you know?).... And, the general concept of young and stupid/ didn't know any better/ didn't get caught has worked for me so far.

That all being said, I think BLM land is like NF land-- camping is OK as long as you don't hurt anything. Like no litter, no fire-rings, etc. There's a ton of BML land out west. A buddy of mine used to have maps we used, but I'm pretty sure I had recently seen it online.

If I'm wrong, just don't tell me.
AKA HAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 12:22 AM   #14
HighDezert
KLR Dirt Pilot

Oddometer: 120
It's fairly easy to find primitive camping spots out west, and of all the times i've just found a secluded spot and camped, i only really ever had one problem, I was coming down from Tahoe through NV , got tired in the middle of nowhere, not a light to be seen anywhere, i pulled off the road and down a lil dirt road, off to the side and passed out in my cage.

I was awoken to what i thought was sunlight but soon realized it was 10 million candlepower from the spotlight on the hummer that MPs were piling out of and surrounding my vehicle. It seems i found the unmarked back entrance to the secret base.

Stealth camping, I had a run-in with the law in Vancouver. I ended up out near wreck beach and was looking for a place to camp, cop stops me, and i tell him i'm just looking for a place to camp. He proceeds to lecture me on the legality (or lack therof) of camping in the area, and then leans in and says "but us cops never check down over there", and points out a trail that led me down to the beach anf gave me a couple of landmarks to follow to ensure no other cops would find me. Best campsite i've ever found, a flat spot on a ledge about 100' high right over the water, cool !

I spent a week in van/bc on foot, camping all but one night. One night i camped in a campground, the remaining nights were stealth camping.

Get some of these:

for the states that you're gonna be in, they show lots of side roads, fire roads, trails, and all kinds of useful info.

The important thing is to be low key, get a natural color tarp, set it up as a vestibule and "privacy fence" in the direction of likely approach, don't make a crapload of noise or get a raging fire going unless you're really out in the middle of nowhere. When you leave, it should look like you've never ben there.

Around the southwest, there's tons of dirt roads off any road you're on, pick one. If it doesn't have a gate or some mean looking signs, check it out, chances are you'll find a cleared area and a fire ring. If it DOES have a gate, pay attention to the signs on the gate. If it's public land it'll usually have a "please close gate" sign, and some private land has signs posted allowing entry, with conditions like no hunting, fishing, etc. but allowing hiking, camping, and other low impact activities.

Most of the time though, I just stay away from main roads and when camping, I like to get a few miles away from any civilization in an area where it's unlikely anyone will pass through, that way i can run around camp butt nekkid and hootin n hollerin if i want and nobody would know or care.

If you're stuck in the city, you might have to go for a room unless you don't object to urban camping, sleeping under a bridge or in some bushes between industrial parks. I HATE hotel/motel rooms when i'm travelling though, and sometimes urban camping is preferrable if you can find a good spot and keep your stealth tactics. I wouldn't reccomend urban camping, just a last resort, my last resort before i consider a room, but it can be done. Don't look like a gringo if you try urban camping, the dirtier and smellier the better, look and act like you're homeless and blend in. Nobody robs homeless people really, the touristy looking gringos who don't pay attention get rolled.
HighDezert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 12:27 AM   #15
Thor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
I used to do it all the time, 20 years ago.

I started bike camping a few years ago and found it to be a major pain in the ass. Finding hidden areas are nice if you are in a part of the country that has easy to find hidden areas.

When you can't find them, I have found that camping for free in the park square of small towns had diminished, church grounds are a no no, asking farmers if you can camp is almost worthless.

Everyone has become completely paranoid. I'm not sure who these people are that are roaming the rural countryside at 3:00 A.M. and calling the cops, but they have enough pull to turn the cops in to completely humorless f***s.

I still believe that it can be done, but you have to give yourself an extra hour or so to find a really good spot or find someone who will give you permission.

I think random camping has gone the way of hitch hiking. It is a crime in most areas now. Charging $30 to pitch your tent in a park with pay showers is also a crime.
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote