Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2007, 05:52 AM   #1
SIKLR250 OP
NYC

Oddometer: 507
Minimalist Touring Thread (250cc and under)

Welcome to the Minimalist Touring Thread: the place for everyone who is interested in adventure touring on small displacement (250cc and under) thumpers.

Write about your bikes and gear, great places to ride and events. It would be great if we could also compile a list of useful books and articles, links to web sites and other information sources for minimalist touring.

Beginners and seasoned veterans alike appreciate the utility value of such machines, so check your bias and ego at the door and let's get on with the ride.

Please introduce yourself and tell us about your bike and your travels.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR200, KL250 (Super Sherpa) KLR250, KLX250, TTR230, XT225, TW200, XL250, vintage thumpers

SIKLR250 screwed with this post 02-02-2007 at 06:30 AM
SIKLR250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:07 AM   #2
TomN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,503
SOme day when I can have a 2nd bike I really want to try some longer distance trips on a small bike. Maybe I will change my mind one I actually try it lol.
TomN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:38 AM   #3
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
A suggestion is to continue the picture thread we have going for "250's and Less" and throw every thing else here. For the first timer it might be initially confusing but the regulars around here can help out.

Somehow this symbol strikes me as a 250cc or less tourer.

The Aerostich people put out a small 78 page booklet called Lightweight Unsupported Motorcycle Travel for Terminal Cases which is available for $5 or included free with orders over $100. I can't say it is worth $5 but it certainly echoes the words spoken here regarding the kind of bikes we prefer.

A quote or two;

"a treatise on touring by motorcycle in a practical and efficient manner"

"...relatively simple equipment and just enough power to get the job done."

"...riding for the sake of riding- almost anything-without worrying about keeping up appearances"

"...it means having a certain amount of grit, ingenuity, and self reliance."

Notice I said prefer and not the only bikes we like. Our household has a full stable of bikes (12+), from a Polini 911 .... to a BMW K bike. But the one I seem to gravitate to the most is that unassuming DR200SE because of it's pure simplicity/utility and fun factor. I will have to try that KL250? (Super Sherpa) someday to check out that 6spd trans. I'm also a hard core self reliant type; if I can't perform most of the repairs/service on my bike by myself I don't need it!

So let's get on with the ride!
steve gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:47 AM   #4
SIKLR250 OP
NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve gs
A suggestion is to continue the picture thread we have going for "250's and Less" and throw every thing else here. For the first timer it might be initially confusing but the regulars around here can help out.

Sounds perfect (check out my signature). I'd like to second outwardbound's nomination of Lois Pryce as the Queen of Minimalist Tourers.

Info about Lois (now in Africa): http://www.loisontheloose.com/
Info about her new book: http://www.loisontheloose.com/book.html

Lois puts those 'Long Way Round' guys to shame.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:55 AM   #5
SIKLR250 OP
NYC

Books, articles, and web resources

Please quote the previous message and add your contribution(s) to the running list:

Books:
Adventure Motorcycling Handbook (Chris Scott)
Lightweight Unsupported Motorcycle Travel for Terminal Cases (Aerostitch)
Motorcycling Camping Made Easy (Bob Woofter)

Articles:

Web resources:
Lois on the Loose (Lois Pryce): http://www.loisontheloose.com/

Old 02-02-2007, 10:13 AM   #6
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,429
Here is a little inspiration for you.

http://http://www.theyeagergroup.com...250_ss1000.htm

A few years ago a couple guys did a SS1000 on a twin cylinder 100cc Yammie. They finished it with like 15 minutes to spare.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:54 PM   #7
chuby37
tw200

Oddometer: 9
tw200

I have a Tw200 AND AM ALLWAYS LOOKING FOR RIDERS IN THE SAME SIZE BIKE CLASS, ARE YOU ON THE EAST COAST ? WERE AT,,, WELL IF YOU KNOW OF ANY RIDES , OR GUYS GOING OUT FOR THE DAY LET ME KNOW ,,, THANKS DAN
chuby37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:09 AM   #8
txrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Quote:

The Aerostich people put out a small 78 page booklet called Lightweight Unsupported Motorcycle Travel for Terminal Cases which is available for $5 or included free with orders over $100. I can't say it is worth $5 but it certainly echoes the words spoken here regarding the kind of bikes we prefer.

A quote or two;

"a treatise on touring by motorcycle in a practical and efficient manner"

"...relatively simple equipment and just enough power to get the job done."

"...riding for the sake of riding- almost anything-without worrying about keeping up appearances"

"...it means having a certain amount of grit, ingenuity, and self reliance."

Notice I said prefer and not the only bikes we like. Our household has a full stable of bikes (12+), from a Polini 911 .... to a BMW K bike. But the one I seem to gravitate to the most is that unassuming DR200SE because of it's pure simplicity/utility and fun factor. I will have to try that KL250? (Super Sherpa) someday to check out that 6spd trans. I'm also a hard core self reliant type; if I can't perform most of the repairs/service on my bike by myself I don't need it!

So let's get on with the ride!
The guy who wrote the book for aerostich toured on an XR650L though didn't he?

I'd do a tour on small bike except for the fact I'm 6'3 and the 600 class bikes just fit me better, I flatfoot my KTM's with the suspension topped out.

Even litre bikes and harleys leave me feeling cramped for leg room after a couple days, the real tall DS bikes fit just right. :)

Some of the 400 class bikes might be tall enough though.
txrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:02 PM   #9
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:

"...relatively simple equipment and just enough power to get the job done.
Oh no..... I quoted myself.

Sorry, but I think the 350's are a quantum leap up from a minimalist rig. There's no challenge to touring on a DR350SE that would be any different than touring on a 650 thumper.

My DR350SE can meet or exceed nearly everything my 650 can do. As a matter of fact several of the 250 bikes discussed here are nearly as capable as the 350 but we had to draw the line somewhere and displacement was it.

Originally our goal (among others) was to present and discuss touring problems and solutions for bikes 250cc and under. Each bike model has it's own strengths and limitations.

What does everyone else think?

Another great ride ... ... tell us about yours.
steve gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:00 PM   #10
RLK

Oddometer: 6,304
I did took a trip over the weekend. Not a tour at all but the funnest little weekend trip ever. I admit, I took too much junk. Why bring a towel if you know there will be no running water? I brought a lot of stuff to share with the group. I could get by with a much smaller load if I was only packing for me. My strategy is to just get there and unload. Then PLAY!!

Getting there. Not much seat to sit on.

After dumping the bulky Mermite can and tent/sleeping bag at camp, its Playtime!

On the trail rides I kept the crate I am borrowing from Coca-Cola to hold a toolbag with 2 tubes, tools and a 12V air pump, and the 2.5 gallon gas can. The only thing in my backpack is my water bladder and the Colo. detailed map book.

After the weekend I packed a little better. On the back of the seat is a platform I made from scrap lumber. The Mermite rests on that and is strapped down. Tent is between the Mermite and my bum. The Coca-Cola crate sits perpindicular on that and is also strapped down as far back as possible. Sleep roll sits on top of the tent and Mermite. Tool bag and gas can fit in the crate. Backpack is tied and bungeed on top.

I use the sprocket ratio that Mr. Honda sold the bike with, 14/47. Mr. Honda knew what he was doing in 1982. I don't try to outsmart him.

-Juanito on the Yahoo!
RLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:51 PM   #11
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,751
That looks like a great time!
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:59 PM   #12
metalmaster
adventure dreamer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLK
I like it.

metalmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:27 AM   #13
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,316
Rounder:
Do you really need the gas can with you for trips like this? I'd have thought you'd have a little leeway, gas wise, if you topped off in Divide, Florissant or Hartsel on your way out (and back). Or was the gas can just an emergency measure and to offer you the option of not having to go into Buenie to get gas?

What distance do you get from a full tank - with a full camping load attached?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLK
On the trail rides I kept the crate I am borrowing from Coca-Cola to hold a toolbag with 2 tubes, tools and a 12V air pump, and the 2.5 gallon gas can.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:54 PM   #14
budgie
budgie smith

Oddometer: 1
Old Jap New Chinese

Got back today from 1500km ride from Durban, South Africa, to Maputo, Mocambique on a new Jialing 200AT and a 27yr old XT250. This was a test ride for a trip to Kenya and to taste the famous LM-Prawns at the Cost do Sol Restaurant in Maputo. We have also filmed the trip (DVD will be made) and the story will be up on my site www.changingplugs.com. Riding the small bikes seems much the same as my DR600 Suzuki, except heck of a lot easier to pick up when it falls! Easy to cruise at 60mph and getting 104 miles to the gallon. Cheap Chinese bikes are now flooding the market & I am keen to put mine to the test....so far, so good!
Attached Images

budgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:16 PM   #15
DoctorQuest
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Dual Sport racks

I'm new to this site. I saw a post from someone seeking a rack for their dual sport.

check out
http://www.cyclebuy.com/shopping/promoto/racks_yam.htm

I bought a pro motto billet rack for my Yam xt225 (2006). Very nice looking, easy to install and very handy. Quality is first rate.
DoctorQuest is offline   Reply With Quote