User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2007, 04:47 PM   #1
mdloops OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Thumbs down Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar Not Impressed

First off it should be known that I ride a 2007 Yamaha R6, and with any sport bike the seating position is aggressive.

Protection:

These pants are extremely protective and by far the most durable mesh pants available on the market. There isn't much that needs to be said besides the fact that they are above and beyond anything. Truely amazing.

Fitment:

These are not for anybody owning a bike with an aggressive seating position. The material bunches up and the will dig into the area behind your knees. They have a very high waist, meaning they are meant to be worn "urkle style" around the belly button. They are overpants so they will be baggy. The "seat area" is ridiculously baggy when standing straight up, but when sitting down works well. When I say baggy, I mean BAGGY, like when you are stadning up you look like you have the butt of a 400 pound man.

Practicality:

For those of us who commute to college or go out with our friends these pants are about as impractical as it gets. I have a tank bag, tail bag, and north face backpack and none of them are even close to being big enough to hold them. Unless you have large saddle bags you will be carrying these around with both arms. Additionally, I am a smaller guy 5'8 170 LBS, so I can't even imagine trying to cart around a larger pair.

Armor,

I have read many threads with Wayne saying how Tri-Armor is the best out there, and I think from looking at it that it is sufficient for protection, but CE is better. This armor is above average, but by no means excellent. Do I have proof that CE is better? No. However, any reasonable person can decide for themselves. THE HIP ARMOR IS AN ABSOLUTE JOKE. Literally, it is about 3/8 inch thin and is the cheapest stuff you can buy. SAFE YOURSELF $50 and DO NOT BUY IT. I can't really take pictures because it is sewn in, but I am willing to bet a good amount of money that it will be useless in a crash.

Overall Product

The material is the best I have seen, besides leather. However, it is terribly implemented. Maybe there is a reason why no other company uses this material for the entire piece of gear. I think I know the reason, because it is impractical, uncomfortable, and overly bulky. The product is very well put together from a quality control standpoint.

I like Wayne and think he has a good heart in making this gear, but the threads on this board are way too optimistic about this product. I will hopefully be posting pics soon that may illustrate my point, and if anybody wants to shoot me and email in the meantime I will try and answer any questions. I will be sending these back and taking my chances with the other mainstream companies' products. Again, this product is not comfortable on bikes where you need to grip the tank with your legs. For what it's worth, I have crashed before and know how hard of an impact one could sustain.

Mark
mdloops83@hotmail.com
mdloops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:01 PM   #2
hpsVFR
Hoosier Daddy

Oddometer: 1,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdloops
First off it should be known that I ride a 2007 Yamaha R6, and with any sport bike the seating position is aggressive.

[snip]

Practicality:

For those of us who commute to college or go out with our friends these pants are about as impractical as it gets. I have a tank bag, tail bag, and north face backpack and none of them are even close to being big enough to hold them. Unless you have large saddle bags you will be carrying these around with both arms. Additionally, I am a smaller guy 5'8 170 LBS, so I can't even imagine trying to cart around a larger pair.
For what it's worth, a tip I've seen in various places is to use a bit of steel cable to secure the pants to your bike, for example looping the cable through one pant leg (one that doesn't unzip all the way, obviously) and put both ends in your helmet lock. A little bit longer and heavier cable could be run through your rear wheel, and over your seat.

I recently sold a pair of motoport overpants because I just never wore them now that I've got my GP-2 pants. I don't commute to work in them, but there's quite comfortable.

I've got a 1-piece roadcrafter fs, if you're looking for something different!
hpsVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:11 PM   #3
Wings
marmaduked

Oddometer: 14,071
Mark, I'm curious-were the pants custom made for you or did you buy them from someone else? I'm surprised to hear your complaints about the "baggy" butt, first time I've heard that. I could see how the seating position on a crotch rocket could make for challenges, but I don't think I've ever heard of anyone else mentioning the poor fit. Did you consider sending the pants back for a re-do/adjustment?

Smugmug coupon code: CKZQ0vLPlmLFw
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:15 PM   #4
Mike Butt
Agent Provocateur

Oddometer: 55,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings
Mark, I'm curious-were the pants custom made for you or did you buy them from someone else? I'm surprised to hear your complaints about the "baggy" butt, first time I've heard that. I could see how the seating position on a crotch rocket could make for challenges, but I don't think I've ever heard of anyone else mentioning the poor fit. Did you consider sending the pants back for a re-do/adjustment?
Yea, I'm thinking the same thing. Along with lack of a crash test, it's hard to gage what the real benefits are from this piece of gear.
Mike Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:14 PM   #5
sti-51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
A few comments:

Fitment - These are overpants so they are meant to fit bigger so one can layer underneath. If you wanted sport-rider/racing pants, either the GP-2 or Police pants might have been more suitable. Also, Wayne tends to be generous with his sizing, even after providing him with custom measurements. I had to send my overpants back the first time b/c they were too big as well. Mine are in stretch Kevlar which are very comfortable and less abrasive. In a sport-riding position, there is no bunching and they are still very comfortable… so much so that it hardly feels like I am wearing anything at all!

Practicality - I think the mesh are much bulkier than the stretch Kevlar. The latter folds up pretty easily and are very light and soft.

Armor - You cannot judge armor by how it looks and feels. Such judgment is what leads novices to incorrectly assume that hard, plastic armor is superior to soft, impact absorbing armor. The proof is in the crash testimonials and impact absorption test results.

Homer: A woman is a lot like a refrigerator. 6 feet tall, 300 lbs... it makes ice.
sti-51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:54 PM   #6
makinwaves
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,883
I have the stretch kevlar pants and find them super comfy and soft. But the difference may be the very neutral position on my bike. Pretty much sitting straight up. They were a little tough initially, but softened up nicely after half a dozen rides or so. I've read the mesh kevlar is more stiff and takes longer to soften up.

I took some pictures and did a pseudo test of the armour from my motoport pants and compared to the CE armour in my Halvarssons jacket and armour from my old Joe Rocket jacket. See post # 68 in this thread(http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207629). I found the motoport armour to transmit the most "pain" in my highly scientific punch test... Which really surprised me given the claims about the armour and the quality it seemed to have.
makinwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:36 PM   #7
mdloops OP
Adventurer

STI-51: Not to pick on you but I respectfully disagree. I think you can judge a lot (not all) armor by how it looks and feels. Go take a look at the padding on cheap hockey pads vs expensive pads and you will agree. With the higher end armor I think it is more difficult, but lets be honest that at $300 the armor in these pants in not high end. I mean, there are many back protectors alone that cost $300.

I actually talked to Wayne, and he send me some test results for the armor. I don't want to knock the product here or hurt his business, so I will leave the armor debate for somebody else. However, in my opinion the Tri-Armor is good armor, but I have seen some CE certified armor that is better. Additionally, I will stand firm on my believe that the armor that is sewn into the hip is terrible. My girlfriend even looked at it and said "what is this going to do?" to which I replied "nothing, but I paid extra for it"

As far as the stretch mesh goes I have no idea. I do understand that they are overpants, but so are the other overpants I have purchased and none of them were so awkward. They were not custom fitted, but I can assure you that they fit as they are meant to. In fact, the waist is perfect and they leave me just enough room to wear jeans underneath. I will have to get pictures for you guys soon (20 degrees right now in upstate NY). I am going to call wayne on monday and see what he thinks, but I just can't see these working.

As far as sending them back and forth to get altered I don't feel like it is worth it. It is not worth the time, money in shipping, possible alteration charges, that it would cost to possibly make them more comfortable. For this price I can have perf. leather.

mdloops screwed with this post 03-17-2007 at 09:47 PM
Old 03-17-2007, 10:08 PM   #8
Lujo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
I won't get into the armor debate, but my experience with sizing and practicality of Cycleport overpants has been very positive. I often have trouble finding gear that fits me, but my Ultra II Kevlar pants fit perfectly. I had them modified by Wayne because I changed my mind about how baggy I wanted them, but both times I got exactly what I ordered. Regarding practicality, these are the same as any other pair of overpants. When I get to work, I hang the pants next to my jacket; if there's no place to hang them and the saddlebags are full, I attach them to the helmet lock with a looped steel cable.

I do understand the comment about a very aggressive riding position making things more difficult. I wonder if making the knees more articulated would help; I'd be interested to know if Cycleport was willing to do this.

Cheers,

-Lujo
Old 03-17-2007, 10:20 PM   #9
mdloops OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lujo
I won't get into the armor debate, but my experience with sizing and practicality of Cycleport overpants has been very positive. I often have trouble finding gear that fits me, but my Ultra II Kevlar pants fit perfectly. I had them modified by Wayne because I changed my mind about how baggy I wanted them, but both times I got exactly what I ordered. Regarding practicality, these are the same as any other pair of overpants. When I get to work, I hang the pants next to my jacket; if there's no place to hang them and the saddlebags are full, I attach them to the helmet lock with a looped steel cable.

I do understand the comment about a very aggressive riding position making things more difficult. I wonder if making the knees more articulated would help; I'd be interested to know if Cycleport was willing to do this.

Cheers,

-Lujo
I should be more clear that the pants fit how they are supposed to. I am referring to the fitment issues when I am on the bike. The knee bunch out. I am attributing this to the design of the pant and not waynes ability to properly size the pant. Does that make more sense?
Old 03-18-2007, 05:01 AM   #10
PJveetwin
LD-Ordie

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
I should be more clear that the pants fit how they are supposed to. I am referring to the fitment issues when I am on the bike. The knee bunch out. I am attributing this to the design of the pant and not waynes ability to properly size the pant. Does that make more sense?
Well, too bad your not happy with your purchase……..When I decided to upgrade my existing riding gear and go with the Kevlar, I decided to go with the street cut version, just for the reasons you are giving why you don’t like your over pants. I sent Wayne a pair of levis and I received my new riding pants just like the pattern. I did a mod that now appears to be on his line up. I kept the stretch on the back portion, and used the mesh on the front. My FRJ may not be as aggressive a seating position as your R6, but for sure it’s a non issue for me. I won’t even address the armor issue, but it appears, you may have bought the wrong style pants for your application.

Good luck on what ever direction you decide to go.

Jim

Member of "Team Pterodactyl"
Combat Touring!!

05-FJR 1300
05-650 Dakar
03-1150 GS Sport
70-FLH Shovelhead
50-FL Panhead
76- Bultaco 370 Pursang
98-Yamaha TW200
84-Yamaha TT-600
56-650 Triumph T-120, needs work......
1964 Land Rover Series IIA Gotta have at least one car
PJveetwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:33 AM   #11
Wings
marmaduked

Quote:
STI-51: Not to pick on you but I respectfully disagree. I think you can judge a lot (not all) armor by how it looks and feels. Go take a look at the padding on cheap hockey pads vs expensive pads and you will agree. With the higher end armor I think it is more difficult, but lets be honest that at $300 the armor in these pants in not high end. I mean, there are many back protectors alone that cost $300.

I actually talked to Wayne, and he send me some test results for the armor. I don't want to knock the product here or hurt his business, so I will leave the armor debate for somebody else. However, in my opinion the Tri-Armor is good armor, but I have seen some CE certified armor that is better. Additionally, I will stand firm on my believe that the armor that is sewn into the hip is terrible. My girlfriend even looked at it and said "what is this going to do?" to which I replied "nothing, but I paid extra for it"

As far as the stretch mesh goes I have no idea. I do understand that they are overpants, but so are the other overpants I have purchased and none of them were so awkward. They were not custom fitted, but I can assure you that they fit as they are meant to. In fact, the waist is perfect and they leave me just enough room to wear jeans underneath. I will have to get pictures for you guys soon (20 degrees right now in upstate NY). I am going to call wayne on monday and see what he thinks, but I just can't see these working.
As far as sending them back and forth to get altered I don't feel like it is worth it. It is not worth the time, money in shipping, possible alteration charges, that it would cost to possibly make them more comfortable. For this price I can have perf. leather.
So the pants were not made for you. OK.

Aside from that, I think whenever you get anything custom fit, whether it be clothing or maybe a saddle, you have to consider possible adjustments going into it. It's great if you can do a drive-in, but if you live far enough away to have to resort to sending measurements and utilizing the "mail-in" option, you have to be willing to send the item back for adjustments. JMO

Old 03-18-2007, 10:01 AM   #12
mdloops OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings
So the pants were not made for you. OK.

Aside from that, I think whenever you get anything custom fit, whether it be clothing or maybe a saddle, you have to consider possible adjustments going into it. It's great if you can do a drive-in, but if you live far enough away to have to resort to sending measurements and utilizing the "mail-in" option, you have to be willing to send the item back for adjustments. JMO
I agree somewhat. I do believe that you can design a product that will fit most people off the shelf. I am pretty much as average as it gets, and I have never had a problem with things not fitting that are not custom fitted.

I will stress this again, the pants FIT ME. They fit as I think they should. I want people to be aware that this is NOT a fitment issue, and thus when I talk to wayne we will not be discussing getting the "adjusted." Rather it is a problem with the material not being able to conform to an aggressive seating position.

LOL, I know it is hard to believe that these pants are not the "end all," but unfortunately no pant is. I just wanted to give an alternative review to the ones that are on the site, because surely we came up with different results.

mdloops screwed with this post 03-18-2007 at 10:07 AM
Old 03-18-2007, 12:47 PM   #13
Wings
marmaduked

Quote:
I agree somewhat. I do believe that you can design a product that will fit most people off the shelf. I am pretty much as average as it gets, and I have never had a problem with things not fitting that are not custom fitted.

I will stress this again, the pants FIT ME. They fit as I think they should. I want people to be aware that this is NOT a fitment issue, and thus when I talk to wayne we will not be discussing getting the "adjusted." Rather it is a problem with the material not being able to conform to an aggressive seating position.

LOL, I know it is hard to believe that these pants are not the "end all," but unfortunately no pant is. I just wanted to give an alternative review to the ones that are on the site, because surely we came up with different results.
It's good to see posts from people that are and are not happy with a product. I don't usually base a purchase decision on a single opinion and in the end, I make up my own mind. Good and bad, this forum is meant to share those experiences and opinions-that's what makes it neat.
I hope you find something that better suits your needs.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:19 AM   #14
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,174
I have a GPII suite, also ride a sport bike and feel the same. Great material, lousy armor (replace it with real, formed armor), lousy cut, definately not made for someone riding a sport bike. Would like to see a more refined version with real armor and a better cut. Its also worth noting that virtually all main stream gear uses thinner material on the backs of knees and insides of elbows, motoport doesn't and that's part of their problem. I don't mind the bulkyness, that's pretty much required for any protective suite, but the fitment could be a lot better. Most of the issues I have wouldn't be a problem on a touring bike, but the GPII is billed as a track-day/sport suite.....

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 09:11 PM   #15
kewlbyme
Occasional Partaker

Oddometer: 228
[IMG]images/statusiconCrash/post_old.gif[/IMG] 03-18-2007, 10:13 AM #11
mdloops
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJveetwin
My FRJ may not be as aggressive a seating position as your R6, but for sure it’s a non issue for me.

Lol, that is surely an understatement :)

Any more skepticism about my experience?

I will repeat, I think I have been pretty fair here. I realize I am the odd guy out because motoport is highly regarded on here, but be careful what bluffs you try calling. I am not quesitoning anybody elses qualifications or motives here, please don't question mine.

Hmmm..........
mdloops seems to be Glad to cast stones, but as usual with stone casters, he doesn't seem to be glad about being cast upon.

And, no, I wouldn't have any opinion about your experience, other than you appear to not learn from it. It seems from your posts that you value how your rear "looks", more than avoiding road rash.

You are right, Motoport ain't for just anyone. I think you need another pair of JOE ROCKET pants. I mean, they made your BUTT look good, right?
2002 KLR 703.5 - Sold
1999 Valkyrie IS - Sold
kewlbyme is offline   Reply With Quote