Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2007, 02:39 AM   #1
KeithDommirider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Thumb Any Honda Dominator NX650 owners out there ?

Just wondering if there are many of us about ?
All this talk of KTM's and KLR's makes me think I'm missing out on something , but the Dominator is a great bike , does all that I ask.
But I have nothing to compare it to , as it's my first bike
So if you are out there on an NX650 , let us know how many km's you are up to and how the bike is going ?
Or if you had an NX650 , how does your latest bike compare to it ?

thanks

Here is a picture of Dommi from a recent ride.
KeithDommirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:58 AM   #2
Halnoon
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Talking I Ownded one!

Hey Keef,

I had a Dommie for 2 years from 2004-2006.

It was only the second bike that I owned, my first was a little Suzuki GSX250F Across which I got my licence on.

They really are a fantastic bike and I think a lot of people overlook them.

My bike was a 1998 model with 10,000km on the clock, 2 years later I sold it with over 40,000km. I didn't have any major problems with it. Unfortunately I had to sell the old girl to move from AUS over to the UK to do a bit of travelling and I have been bikeless ever since

A couple of points about the Dommie I thought I would make:

Seat: by the end of a long days ride it really got bloody uncomfortable, it really cut into me.
Fuel Range: The 16L tank was a little bit small. I think about the most I got out of it was a tad over 300km. Would be nice if the tank was a bit larger. I know there are a few aftermarket tanks around that would fix that gripe.
Engine: I found it extremely strong and reliable, didn't have any problems with it, would go all day but towards the end it was drinking a ridiculous amount of oil. I have no idea why! I knew I was getting rid of the bike so I never looked into the problem. It was cheaper to just keep on topping it up.

You don't see many of them on the road these days! I had problems sourcing some parts a couple of times.

Would I buy another one? Probably not. I will be looking for another bike next year when I head back home to Aus, thinking about going down the KTM route at this stage.

Jase
Halnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:58 AM   #3
rallybug
Local Yokel

Oddometer: 8,099
I had an '88 for 2 years putting about 2,000 miles on it in 2005 and 5,500 miles in 2006 up until I had my accident in the July.

Did fine on the highway, sitting at about 120kph, between fuel stops. I think it was somewhere up around 52,000km on the clock when the insurers wrote it off.

Only issues I had were a bit of a thirst for oil on the hot French autoroutes on holiday, and the output shaft splines being worn out, so had to out in a grub screw to hold the front sprocket to the shaft.

Best change I made to the bike though was a Renazco Racing seat, from Boejangles on this fair forum Once I'd broken it in after about 1000 miles, I had no problems whatsoever with monkey butt etc

Fitting aluminium panniers to H&B racks did affect the fuel consumption on the fast highway runs (down from around 55mpg (5.1l/100km) to about 45mpg or 6.3l/100km).

Ride reports

I've now got myself an Africa Twin, and obviously being a 750cc v-twin it's a lot smoother, but it's also about a third heavier, so not as useful on the tracks etc. Fuel consumption at the moment is only slightly worse on-island at 50mpg or so (5.65l/100km)

My Ride Reports
rallybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:00 AM   #4
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,035
I had one for a couple of months when I was in Europe. I put about 15000km on it. Great bike, my only complaint was its fluid consumption (both oil and gas). I've got a KTM 640A now, which is pretty much the same bike but faster.

Here it is resting on a logging track in Romania:
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:57 PM   #5
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,777
how close are those to an xr/l? Were they ever available in the us? would some bodywork swap over?
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:54 PM   #6
rayder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
I've got an '88 that is new to me since 5/06. Put on about 4k miles and it is a fun and cheap ride. I have another set of wheels with knobbies and a 53 tooth sprocket that I swap out for serious single track rides. They give the bike two different personalities.

It's a lot like the xr650L but just enough different that not much besides engine parts interchange. Heavier and lower with hard to replace plastics, aftermarket upgrades are rare, but they can be found for $800 to $1500, almost disposable cheap.

I get a solid 42mpg, love to know how to bump it to 50.
rayder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 06:32 PM   #7
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

Oddometer: 2,403
I sold my '88 a couple of months ago( ) ,the bike was a hell of alot of fun , I even took it on a 40 mile atv run to prove to a friend that it was a worthy ride!
The were only avialible in the states in '88 and '89 , I guess the popularity wasn't there , real shame.
Great looking bikes guys!
Old 03-06-2009, 07:31 AM   #8
Storm_Rider
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
I had one for a couple of months when I was in Europe. I put about 15000km on it. Great bike, my only complaint was its fluid consumption (both oil and gas). I've got a KTM 640A now, which is pretty much the same bike but faster.

Here it is resting on a logging track in Romania:
very loud, you're here in Romania ... I am from Romania
Old 08-02-2007, 07:17 AM   #9
Merle O'Broham
too beaucoup

Oddometer: 1,625
one in Chicago

Hi,

I've had mine since last May and love it. Of course as a DS, it has its compromises. Since I'm into tinkering, I'm always thinking of either making it more dirt-worthy or better on the hwy. I use it as a commuter and ride just about every day. Just scored an OEM rack off ebay and put the JCWhitney Givi knock-off box on the back (the one with the stupid iron cross sticker). Wolfman tank bag and duffel for road trips. On the street it's just fine. Got to hang on above 65-70 mph. I put some handguards on it and made a taller windshield. Those help a bit, but it's no V-Strom. You *can* tour, but it's tiring. It's quite a buffalo to ride off-road. You've got to be pretty deliberate. Mine bottoms out on any jump bigger than a few feet. Bought it with ~8600 miles, now it's got 15k. I bought the bike as a re-entry after not riding for a while. Methinks having a Wee and maybe a small KLX would fit my purposes better. Shoot, but for what I paid for it, no complaints at all. There's a Yahoo! Group for NX riders with a lot of fellows from down under. Good luck.

Merle O'Broham screwed with this post 04-05-2009 at 05:14 AM
Merle O'Broham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:23 AM   #10
Merle O'Broham
too beaucoup

Oddometer: 1,625
jets

Just wanted to share: yesterday I switched out the stock jets 48/155 to a 50 and 158, grinding the tab, 2 1/2 turns out. K&N filter, stock exhaust. Holy cow, what a difference. Best $20.50 I've spent.

Bike was popping on decel, and a touch stumbly down low. Now- less choke to start, smoother/torquier off the bottom and midrange, happy owner.
Merle O'Broham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:35 AM   #11
Bongolia
stop acting

Oddometer: 16,255
my mate Jarkko has one.

Reliable and goes all the places mine does, apart from up rocky slopes etc.

Pros: Reliablity, strength, lack of maintenance.

Cons: Heavy, chugger, down on power

Old 11-05-2007, 12:42 AM   #12
Thor Hiney
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
89 Nx650

I bought my 89 NX 650 last winter and have put 5000 miles on it. I took it on a 9 day trip and thought the seat was fine but I am a bicyclist and have a tough tush. For the price I paid this has been a great bike and has been rock solid reliable. I have got 59 MPG on long trips and got 50+ mpg with it fully loaded (200 lbs. me in my riding gear and 100 pounds of bags etc.) They all use oil even new but I only went though a 3/4 quart in 1300 miles of hard riding. This is a great all around bike and a bargain if you can find a low milage clean one. I added Answer protaper bars, Cycra handguards, K&N filter, Acerbis fender, upgraded brakes. This bike can do a lot of things pretty darn well. Enjoy..I have.
Attached Images

Dominican SW with Haiti on the side RR
Dominican deal of a lifetime RR
Twilight Vampire tour RR

Confidence is the feeling you have before you really understand the problem.

B.O.G.C.
Thor Hiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:22 AM   #13
pirate63
SUPA 10 PILOT

Oddometer: 440
bought a 96' dommie about a month ago,23500ks on clock,bit on the heavy side but moter strong and realiable,in the process of getting my shit together for a trip out to birdsvile from brisbane at xmas time for my first noob trip!,any sugestions/hints.
pirate63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:57 AM   #14
Thor Hiney
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Domi trip

I had mine looked at by a mechanic before I left he said the bike was a runner and he was right. I bought a new front disc as the old one was groovy and not in a good way. New tires and fresh oil and filter and it was good to go. Is this trip partly off road? I have had great luck with the Duro 60/40 tires. They handle the road fine and gravel roads are cake. They were also cheap $90. for the set US. I don't know what that would equate to for you. We rode up every mountian gravel side trail we could and even tho a little heavy it did fine. Think fat lady on rollerskates!

Here is another great site with a lot of helpful people and cool pics.

http://www.xrv.org.uk/photopost/

Dominican SW with Haiti on the side RR
Dominican deal of a lifetime RR
Twilight Vampire tour RR

Confidence is the feeling you have before you really understand the problem.

B.O.G.C.
Thor Hiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:09 PM   #15
pirate63
SUPA 10 PILOT

Oddometer: 440
fat lady on roller skates ,i think the further west i go the tar will turn to dirt/gravel,looking into changing rear tyre now as the one i have on now is more of a tar one,thinking of putting a scotoiler on for the chain is this a good idea with all the dust and dirt i will be going threw,working out how to make a rack for carrying extra fuel and water,probaly be a good idea changing spark plug for a hotter rating one as air temp will be HOT out there.
pirate63 is offline   Reply With Quote