User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2007, 08:23 AM   #1
lightsorce OP
Inner Banks Swamp Rider

Oddometer: 220
Talking Best Shop Tricks

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

I know you guys have some really good shop tricks that I could use so give 'em up!!!

One of mine is to use an old Tupperware lid as a shield between the chain and the rear tire when I spray the chain lube on.
lightsorce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:32 AM   #2
kellyk7
Who knows

Oddometer: 1,746
Bike Stand help

I tell you what this weekend I got tired of my bike leaning and working on the down side of it, so I went to Lowes grabbed two 3/8" anchers and I had two eye bolts, I mounted one on each side of my bike work area, they are about 8 feet apart, I centered the bike and put a strap on each side, bingo safe and secure working area. bike is upright, kids won't knock it over.

I just strap it down, slip a floor jack under it and up the rear goesm turn it around and strap it down and the front goes up,, real nice

Things I would change,, I would have spent more then just 3.00 on concrete anchors and gotten some of those floppy "D" rings they put on trailers, these eye bolts sticking 2" out of the floor are going to be a mess.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It is about learning how to dance in the rain" - HAWK
kellyk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:58 AM   #3
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,269
Upgrade the stereo in your house, and move the old one into the shop.

Much easier to do that way than it is to consider buying something of the same quality dedicated just for the shop.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:14 AM   #4
Dirtgeek

Oddometer: n/a
when in the shop make sure you have a beer in hand before attempting any repairs, farkles, maintenance.

al
Old 07-31-2007, 09:28 AM   #5
Curtis in Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
OK, I'd like to play this one too!

Here's how we do the Doo Hickey in Texas.

Our Tech Day last Saturday in my shop.

Harbor Freight 880 lb 120v winches mounted to an "I" beam. I use this to swap car bodys mostly, but we improvised for Tech day. The Harbor Freight Winches like these can be found on sale for less than $100 sometimes.
I have 5 of them.

This puts the engine case right at chest level and make draining the oil unnecessary.

I lift my bike up like this all the time to work on it. Back Problem!

I also used this Sunday on my KLR to lift my gas tank off the KLR while I fitted my Stebel horns under the tank. The IMS tank was almost full. And I knew there would be a lot of on and off fitting.

Here's a shot of a friends bike hanging while we worked on his engine gaurd.

I have even used the 440lb ones on my door.

Hope this gives you guys some ideas!

Curtis

Curtis in Texas screwed with this post 05-03-2009 at 01:27 AM
Curtis in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:22 PM   #6
kellyk7
Who knows

Oddometer: 1,746
DUDE you need more stuff,, there is way too much free floor space in that shop

Nice set up

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It is about learning how to dance in the rain" - HAWK
kellyk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:14 PM   #7
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,874
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:50 PM   #8
Brooklyn Rob
Do'h!

Oddometer: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in Texas
OK, I'd like to play this one too!

Here's how we do the Doo Hickey in Texas.

Our Tech Day last Saturday in my shop.

Harbor Freight 880 lb 120v winches mounted to an "I" beam. I use this to swap car bodys mostly, but we improvised for Tech day. The Harbor Freight Winches like these can be found on sale for less than $100 sometimes.
I have 5 of them.

This puts the engine case right at chest level and make draining the oil unnecessary.

I lift my bike up like this all the time to work on it. Back Problem!

I also used this Sunday on my KLR to lift my gas tank off the KLR while I fitted my Stebel horns under the tank. The IMS tank was almost full. And I knew there would be a lot of on and off fitting.

Here's a shot of a friends bike hanging while we worked on his engine gaurd.

I have even used the 440lb ones on my door.

Hope this gives you guys some ideas!

Curtis

Here's an even easier way to do the doo..
buy a Honda.
Brooklyn Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:00 PM   #9
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,455
Shop Light with Magnet

Picked up one of these from Sears during Black Friday for $15. Although it doesn't have the best rating, it does come with a very cool attachment; a large magnet to stick it on metal items. Items include (but are not limited to) engine blocks, frames, toolboxes, etc.

To replicate this, get a large donut magnet (or anything else) and zip tie it to a light. That way it's not permanent, and can be adjusted. Voila!

And while we're on the magnet thread, these curiously strong magnets from thinkgeek are not only fun to play with, but also functional as well. I use them to put photos, cards, and assorted junk on my workbench, and will keep stuff on in the face of my super fan. One use I discovered last night while drinking beer...err rearranging some tools is to put some magnets under the top lid of tool cabinets. You can put small metal items there (hemostats, scissors, clamps, etc) and use your room more economically. It also makes the tool chest heavier.

Ok, told you where to get some slightly expensive magnets. What if you just want some el cheapos? Go find a refridgerator that's been dumped on the road, awaiting pickup, or just unattended at a friend's house. In the door seal is a very long magnet that keeps the door closed. Just slice open the seal and the thing comes out. Very easy to break into usuable portions as well. Not the strongest magnet, but very serviceable nonetheless.

Cheers,
Adam B
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:10 PM   #10
PackRat
Huey Guns

Oddometer: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey
Upgrade the stereo in your house, and move the old one into the shop. ....Much easier to do that way than it is to consider buying something of the same quality dedicated just for the shop.
I did the same with the washer and dryer - now I wash work clothes and rags out in the shop. So does several of my rider friends...who said "laundry bitch"??

Yungas Rd.-Bolivia, Alaska '08 - Labrador '10 -
PackRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:43 PM   #11
HowlingMad
drags knuckles

Oddometer: 1,351
This:

and this:

...appeal to my meticulous, retentive nature.

I keep Sharpies everywhere so that it's easy to make a note, label a part, improve my hairline, etc. The masking tape makes it easy to change the label on the container, improve the background or keep small parts together.

Great thread.

HowlingMad screwed with this post 02-26-2008 at 09:18 PM
HowlingMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:40 PM   #12
ntm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
simple chain lube tip

OK, this is very simple, but it works well.

With the bike on the centerstand, in neutral, I rotate the rear tire with my left hand whilst trying to direct a spray of chain lube exactly where I want it as the chain passes over the rear sprocket (using the little red tube on the spray tip). Difficult to do well as the tip moves a bit as I rotate the tire.

My tip is to simply place another spray can underneath the chain lube can to steady it. Find one the right height. This allows you to place the spray tip a fraction of an inch from the chain and spray the lube exactly where you want it. Very tidy.

Nick
ntm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 01:32 PM   #13
boxertwin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,030
Ditto with the television set! We purchased a new LCD tv for the living room and the next day my wife 'informed' me that a fella from her office was going to stop by to 'remove' our old 27" tv set. I promptly informed her that if that happened she could find the new LCD tv in the workshop!
Now I have a 27" tv in the workshop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey
Upgrade the stereo in your house, and move the old one into the shop.

Much easier to do that way than it is to consider buying something of the same quality dedicated just for the shop.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:44 AM   #14
Jerry Atrick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
[quote=GreaseMonkey]Upgrade the stereo in your house, and move the old one into the shop.

Or upgrade the stereo in the house, then move the furniture into the shop and the tools into the house.
Jerry Atrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 06:11 PM   #15
KLboxeR
Back in the game again

Oddometer: 3,650
Oh, got a good one this time

Go and raid your grandmothers sewing room and steal her "seam ripper". It's a small tool designed to separate seams but works even better for opening up wiring harnesses and looms. Here's one for a whopping buck fiddy if'n you don't want to rip off grandma:

http://sewtrue.com/Store/Deluxe-Seam-Ripper-P482.html

Being the ass that I am, I had to have the Snap-On version of this and I paid dearly for it It looks exactly the same You just slip it into the harnes and the little hook cutter will open it up without damaging the wire and without the need to unwrap 10 miles of electrical tape

I also picked up this plug separator for pulling modular automotive plugs apart. I bet you could make one out of a pickle fork from the kitchen:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
KLboxeR is offline   Reply With Quote