Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2007, 07:56 AM   #1
usgser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,102
C60CSX and 2G memory

Will the 2G microSD cards work in these units or should I just go with the 1G cards? Thanks.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:03 AM   #2
That Aussie Guy
Dances with TKC's

Oddometer: 242
Hi. Yep, the 2GB cards work in the CSx.

Daz.

Photography: www.roamimagery.com
That Aussie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:14 AM   #3
usgser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,102
Thanks Daz!
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:53 PM   #4
frewhl
daily rider

Oddometer: 8,726
2g works,but the unit has a limit on how many map sets can be put in.
CN map sets are up to a half a state wide.
R&R is each county
TOPO is smallish squares
Then I headed over to where my girlfriend works. Greg, the boss, followed us outside and kept trying to tell me about how he went to Las Vegas one time on a motocycle. I was like, "oh-kay, that's great Greg."

Just back from Prudhoe Bay, IMO it was really worth the trip, AK is a beautiful place & you need lots of time to take it all in. I'm looking forward to returning & exploring some places i didn't have time to ride.RIP Ron Melton
frewhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:54 PM   #5
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,627
I think this is what I just ran into with my Rino 530HCx. I put in a 2GB card, no problem. As an experiment, I loaded a bunch of topo on there. No problem. I then went for broke, and put most of the US of CN8 on there, with a good chunk of the Western US topo. While it all technically fit, it turns out that there is a limit of 2025 maps total on all the expandable units. Since of the list buffer in the software I guess.

Anyway, while I do see maps on the unit, it boots up, if I try to go into the map setup, to turn off CN8 so I can see the topo, the unit shuts off. At least that's what I'm guessing, since I didn't know about the map limit before. I'm sure with the topo, I'm way over.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:35 PM   #6
arroyoshark
Needing some space

Oddometer: 2,130
I have a 60csx, with a 2gb card. If I load all of city navigator, plus topo w/o large metro area maps, will such a large map base slow down the processor, particularly while it regens in pan mode ? Just got back from a TAT ride and often the unit seemed slow on regen, with just the western states along the route loaded.
arroyoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:40 PM   #7
BeeDub
Havagoowan

Oddometer: 2,022
Buy Two!

My suggestion, buy at least two cards, if you have the money. Luckily, I had an REI gift card which I used to get a pre-loaded 2gb micro sd card with all street maps of the US. My girlfriend bought me a blank 2gb card, and the National Parks TOPO. I personally like the pre-loaded cards because then you never have to mess around with mapsource, though the blank one is cool because I can download people's GPX files to it. I'd just start amassing a collection of these things and get a little case for them, and treating it like a required part of your packed gear. I don't know if you can, but don't ever mess with the memory of one of the pre-loaded cards.
BeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:56 PM   #8
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,363
Assuming you are within the map segment limits, I'd advise just getting the big cards rather than mulitple smaller cards. Some guys recommend getting two 1-GB cards rather than a single 2-GB, but my I'd just as soon avoid having to mess around swapping cards especially since swapping the cards in the field isn't that easy on the 60x. Finally, I genreally always buy storage in the largest capacity available at reasonable cost, because down the road, the devices will use it up so you postpone the obsolescence of your storage.

Of course, storage has gotten so cheap these days, it doesn't matter much.

I've never noted any degradation in panning or retrieval performance as the number of map segments grows. (I have all of CN 2008 in my 60Cx and panning performance seems unchanged vs. smaller map sets.) I'd expect they use some kind of binary tree or hashing index structure where performance degradation is proportional to Log N rather than N, where N is the number of map segments. This would be consistent with how you have to do a complete time-consuming indexing pass on the maps every time you change the map set, even if the change is minor.

The only real bottleneck with the big cards is how long it takes to copy data to the GPS - it can take hours to fill up a card. There is something very broken in Garmin's USB setup to go as slow as it does.

- Mark

markjenn screwed with this post 08-24-2007 at 04:01 PM
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:18 PM   #9
Oni
Ronin

Oddometer: 1,839
question for a mapping GPS noob.

I have loaded the Western states City Nav in my 60CSX with a 2GB card...can I also load TOPO? Will they run together, or do I have to switch between the two?

Thank,

Mark
Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:46 PM   #10
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni
question for a mapping GPS noob.

I have loaded the Western states City Nav in my 60CSX with a 2GB card...can I also load TOPO? Will they run together, or do I have to switch between the two?

Thank,

Mark
Yes you can load both, but you must switch between them.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:51 PM   #11
Oni
Ronin

Oddometer: 1,839
Thanks. Just loaded city nav today and playing around with it.
Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:27 PM   #12
TomW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
...The only real bottleneck with the big cards is how long it takes to copy data to the GPS - it can take hours to fill up a card. There is something very broken in Garmin's USB setup to go as slow as it does.

- Mark
Moderate the issue of super slow downloads to the GPS by taking the card out and downloading the map sets to the same card in a USB reader/writer. Much faster. That said, you'll still need to wait for the indexing, etc. in the computer. Yes, there must be an issue with Garmin's USB setup.

Cheers.
'99 XR100
'00 Duke II
'10 R12GS

So many toads; so little rhyme
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:57 PM   #13
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
Moderate the issue of super slow downloads to the GPS by taking the card out and downloading the map sets to the same card in a USB reader/writer. Much faster. That said, you'll still need to wait for the indexing, etc. in the computer. Yes, there must be an issue with Garmin's USB setup.
Spot on. Mapsource recognizes if you have a SD card mounted in its little menu of things it will copy to.

In addition to the glacially-slow usb speed issue, I'm also having continuing problems with having to re-install the usb driverrs every time I connect my GPS. There are some serious problems in Garmin's usb setup.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote