User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2003, 11:22 PM   #1
Komet OP
The Voice of Reason

Oddometer: 38,096
Gilt Edge...

I went riding this afternoon...somewhat delayed after a comrade pulled a no-show...weather was really nice. Most days, if I have the time...I sort of plan my trips a bit...that is, I have a general destination. Today, I just went for an afternoon ride...maybe 150 or so miles. I left G-town and proceeded north through Fisherville and Eads, TN and hit SR 385 (four lane Paul Barrett Parkway). Getting off of the parkway at Millington, I proceeded north on US 51 until I got to Atoka and turned west on 178. I figured I would just ride and see where I ended up. Went through the small town of Munford and then went north on the twisty blacktop. This could have been a really nice route but there were so many driveways...folks are really moving into the country. I ended up in the town of Gilt Edge, Tennessee and stopped in fornt of city hall (actually, city trailer!).

I was really hungry and upon leaving the city hall south on SR 59, there was a little cafe so I stopped for a burger.

It was not a bad little place...small, but kind of rustic...

After I left, I still kept going south on 59 and turned off on the road to Randolph, TN. I didn't have a map with me ( and don't have one of those GP things...) so I went about 7 or 8 miles befor I realized I'd went to far. A farmer in a cotton field set me straight and I turned around. These roads were very twisty and scenic but were full of hidden driveways. This pic of a relatively straight section gives you an idea of the terrain.

I had seen a dead coyote and red fox in the roadway and was kind of worried about deer so I did slow it down a notch...Pulling into Randolph...I got my usual bike/forlorn house pic.

Randolph has almost disappeared but does have some history...

I had heard about the old Confederate powder magazine but it was getting dark and I did not have time to look for it...I went to the bluffs to take a smoke break and just enjoy the sunset on the Mississippi River...

Then I headed home in the dark. It got a little cool on the way home as all I was wearing was the Joe Rocket hot weather gear. I got turned around quite a bit today and should have really been more prepared map-wise. But I met a few friendly folks and had a good ride. It's really hard to head home when I'm riding Traveller. Nothing earth-shattering here...I just had a good time...just me and the bike. Cheers.
Old 09-28-2003, 01:16 AM   #2
Komet OP
The Voice of Reason

Oddometer: 38,096
Oh, here's a little map of the general area...Gilt Edge is just above the red star.
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2003, 06:17 AM   #3
DirtDOG
Same Dog, New Tricks

Oddometer: 17,754
Sounds like an adventure to me. Did the farmer have any daughters? How was the food at the cafe'?
DD
DirtDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 06:28 AM   #4
frewhl
daily rider

Oddometer: 8,725
pig brains

Quote:
Said DirtDOG:
Sounds like an adventure to me. How was the food at the cafe'?
DD
i stayed in ripley tenn. once,pig brains were offered on the menue
Then I headed over to where my girlfriend works. Greg, the boss, followed us outside and kept trying to tell me about how he went to Las Vegas one time on a motocycle. I was like, "oh-kay, that's great Greg."

Just back from Prudhoe Bay, IMO it was really worth the trip, AK is a beautiful place & you need lots of time to take it all in. I'm looking forward to returning & exploring some places i didn't have time to ride.RIP Ron Melton
frewhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 07:32 AM   #5
Ruskie
Banned

Oddometer: 29,237
nice
Ruskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 07:47 AM   #6
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,038
Looked like a nice ride Komet.

I went to our local bmw dealer yesterday to get a couple of tires and they had your bike, same color, on the floor. I gave it a sit and thought what a great choice of machines.

Many more miles to ya'!

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 09:20 AM   #7
raindog
dharma bum

Oddometer: 16,990
Nice pics Komet.
I really like the Bike with forlorn house thing ya got going.
keep it up.
raindog is offline   Reply With Quote